Delaware ALS Services

ATFDFF

Forum Crew Member
Hello, everybody!

Bit of a random post, but after some research I haven't been able to come up with much. What are the pros/cons of the three county ALS (intercept) services in Delaware? It seems like a very unique system and something I would enjoy but browsing their websites/threads on here I'm not able to find many ways to compare them (work environment, schedules, etc.). Thanks so much!

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I worked for Sussex County. It was the best of the three when I was looking 10 years ago. work 2 12 hour days, 2 12 hour nights and 4 off. The pay was good, Delaware cost of living was low. Pretty progressive medicine.

Biggest con? Delaware sucks. It’s flat, boring and there is a lot of “good old boy” mentality.

i recently had a talk with my old boss and he said, “It was a good department where good paramedics could shine and mediocrity could hide.”

New Castle was very paramilitary and Kent seemed disorganized.

if you go do a ride along, spend a few days to really check it out and don’t get dazzled by the idea of “you can fly on the state police helicopter.” The thrill there goes away quickly.

OP
OP
A

ATFDFF

Forum Crew Member
Awesome, thanks for the feedback! That's exactly what I was looking for.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Did they ever consider ditching that schedule? Seems rough.

Otherwise, what I would do for that sort of system to exist out here.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
As far as I know, they're still on it. 4 platoons, and nobody really wanted to change. Kent was doing 10 hour days and 14 hour nights. I don't know if that's still a thing. Lots of the guys wanted 24s, but if you were on a 24 at the beach in the summer, you'd get KILLED.