Delaware ALS Services

ATFDFF

Forum Crew Member
Hello, everybody!

Bit of a random post, but after some research I haven't been able to come up with much. What are the pros/cons of the three county ALS (intercept) services in Delaware? It seems like a very unique system and something I would enjoy but browsing their websites/threads on here I'm not able to find many ways to compare them (work environment, schedules, etc.). Thanks so much!

NomadicMedic

EMS Edumacator
I worked for Sussex County. It was the best of the three when I was looking 10 years ago. work 2 12 hour days, 2 12 hour nights and 4 off. The pay was good, Delaware cost of living was low. Pretty progressive medicine.

Biggest con? Delaware sucks. It’s flat, boring and there is a lot of “good old boy” mentality.

i recently had a talk with my old boss and he said, “It was a good department where good paramedics could shine and mediocrity could hide.”

New Castle was very paramilitary and Kent seemed disorganized.

if you go do a ride along, spend a few days to really check it out and don’t get dazzled by the idea of “you can fly on the state police helicopter.” The thrill there goes away quickly.

OP
A

ATFDFF

Forum Crew Member
Awesome, thanks for the feedback! That's exactly what I was looking for.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Did they ever consider ditching that schedule? Seems rough.

Otherwise, what I would do for that sort of system to exist out here.

NomadicMedic

EMS Edumacator
As far as I know, they're still on it. 4 platoons, and nobody really wanted to change. Kent was doing 10 hour days and 14 hour nights. I don't know if that's still a thing. Lots of the guys wanted 24s, but if you were on a 24 at the beach in the summer, you'd get KILLED.