Defensive Tactics

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
First I will say congrats to your supervisors for seeing the need for training. I think it is fantastic they made you go 45 seconds against the RedMan.

We use the FIST suit becuase it allows the attacker way more movement. It is just personal preference.

Now as far as the pressure point stuff....... again, I was a certified PPCT instructor. As a police officer and a paramedic in the filed I found the pressure points useless (for the most part). Remember people who assault EMS are usually "under the influence" of something that increases their pain tolerance.

Like you said.... the "rub" didn't work on you.......... so what if the guy is intoxicated?

I like the whole I dea of teaching you that you have multiple "tools" in your tool box (knees, elbows, palm heels etc.). This helps you iunderstand you have "options".

The main thing we do differently is limit the number of tools and show hundreds of options for using those tools. Since the EMS provider may go 2 years in between training you have to have some sort of "drill" to keep the skills.

We teach NO punching. All open hand strikes. It is natural and reflexive. It also appears less aggressive. Plus why would you train a female to trade punches with a man who may outweigh her by 100 lbs.

When you use an open hand, you can create space to escape. ( again this is almost 11 years of research and training EMS).

This is why I say it is difficult for LEO to train EMS. Their goal is completely different. Do I think you got quality instruction? Probably. I think with a little tweaking it could be more EMS related.

I again think it is fantastic your supervisors made training available. My hat is off to them!!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Princess - the knowledge of how to "disarm" someone isn't a totally bad thing... if you are "too close" to someone and they go for a gun... a little bit of practice with how to keep the gun NOT pointing at YOU is a good thing.

Also... on Firearms... during my -P school, our intructor brought in a small arsenal of weapons... daggers, small and large revolvers and semi-autos, a shotgun, saps/blackjacks, and some brass nuckles... he showed us how they worked and how to be able to disarm a firearm. I'd NEVER seen a blackjack before. He also showed us some of the holsters that once can use to conceal a firearm... all of it was VERY educational.

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
Princess - the knowledge of how to "disarm" someone isn't a totally bad thing... if you are "too close" to someone and they go for a gun... a little bit of practice with how to keep the gun NOT pointing at YOU is a good thing.

Also... on Firearms... during my -P school, our intructor brought in a small arsenal of weapons... daggers, small and large revolvers and semi-autos, a shotgun, saps/blackjacks, and some brass nuckles... he showed us how they worked and how to be able to disarm a firearm. I'd NEVER seen a blackjack before. He also showed us some of the holsters that once can use to conceal a firearm... all of it was VERY educational.

I agree with having the knowledge, but disarms in themselves take a ton of practice. I have proven it to hundreds of officers while teaching the tactical folding knife.

Time can be better spent on escape moves for the "basic" class and weapon disarms should be a seperate class all together.

Even in our knife fighting and stick fighting ( under serious pressure testing) we have found disarms come by accident. Just look at the pics on my site to see the high level we pressure test everything before we say we believe in it or not.

This again is a reason I am cautious about LEO teaching EMS. Not because they don't know self-defense, but the goals and training is sooooooo different. EMS is care givers and have a duty to retreat. LEO teaches mechanics of arrest and control. Two completely different animals.

Weapon disarms shold not be a part of basic EMS defensive tactics.

Read RACE-2-REACT. When you realize too many tools in your toolbox keeps you from being able to apply any of them..... you begin to find common ground to limit the number.

Here is an example.......... you are taught high, low, middle, knifehand and twin fist blocks. A person nis throwing a right punch to your face......... whci do you choose (again base this off of RACE-2-REACT) then by the time you begin to exectue your block, the next strike is thrown to your face with the left hand...........

See unless you train daily, the "average" person cannot pull off multiple blocks. It is all about reaction timing. Hence the DTP......... we train it against club strikes, punches, pushes, choke attempts and even knife slashes.

So you reduce the nuber of "techniques" to pull from under stress. If it is more natural and "reflexive" you don't have to think about it thereby reducing your R.A.C.E. allowing you to REACT faster.

Please don't think I am saying anything negative about anybody receiving training. I am just pointing out some differences in the way EMS needs to train vs. the way and LEO or a martial artist needsto train.

jmaccauley

Forum Lieutenant
Being affiliated with Kip's DT4EMS, I would like a show of hands by all those who "wish" they had a program like this in their area. One of us will get the information out to you on how to host a class,or get some other group to host a class. You can even get a few free slots if you are the host. O.K., now put your hands down and post your location here so we can contact you.