Defensive Tactics

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Went to orientation for PM school today. We have a 16 hour, mandatory for completion of the course, "Defensive Tactics" class scheduled in October. Director of EMS programs says it will in a nutshell teach us to save ourselves and/or take someone down if necessary.

Anybody else have this as a requirement for graduation?

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
EMTPrincess said:
Went to orientation for PM school today. We have a 16 hour, mandatory for completion of the course, "Defensive Tactics" class scheduled in October. Director of EMS programs says it will in a nutshell teach us to save ourselves and/or take someone down if necessary.

Anybody else have this as a requirement for graduation?

I think that is awesome! I am a little curious about the content and the 16 hours. Since 1996 I was unaware of any other program offering 16 hours.

None the less I am excited they are making it a part of medic school!

OP
OP
MedicPrincess

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
DT4EMS said:
I am a little curious about the content and the 16 hours.

Sounds like someone should rearrange his schedule to come and observe....

Seriously...I have emailed the EMS program director to see if I can find out more info on it. Who is putting it on, Whats included, and the like.

I am pretty excited about it. Especially considering the patients I deal with every shift, just in my district alone.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I had to do a 6 hour class for work a few weeks ago... I learned all sorts of fun things...

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
I may have to take a trip to FL to "see" what is up. They say imitation is supposed to be a great form of flattery.

I am just happy more places are doing training! Baby steps, one at a time will help keep our providers safer. Nothing is 100% but awareness sure helps. :)

gradygirl

TROUBLE
Hey, I love the sound of doing a defensive training course.

Maybe it could be arranged to have a certain someone come and do a seminar for a bunch of college EMTs at their yearly national convention...

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
TCERT1987 said:
Hey, I love the sound of doing a defensive training course.

Maybe it could be arranged to have a certain someone come and do a seminar for a bunch of college EMTs at their yearly national convention...

Our show is available for "the road" all we have to do is have someone host it. :)

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
DT4EMS said:
I sent you a PM.

No way dude, not fair! Share with the rest of the class! :p
Otherwise I might just have to fly out to Missouri...just as long as you have a good BBQ rib joint in the area.

Besides, your class (Kip) is worth CEs we'll need to recert anyway..right? Tax write-off!

MariaCatEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
fm_emt said:
No way dude, not fair! Share with the rest of the class! :p
Otherwise I might just have to fly out to Missouri...just as long as you have a good BBQ rib joint in the area.

Besides, your class (Kip) is worth CEs we'll need to recert anyway..right? Tax write-off!

That's it, go ahead a ruin my special moment lololololol! :p

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
Bwahaha!!

DT4EMS (the 16 hour course) is good for 16 CEU's in several states. Yes they can be applied toward re-certification in those states.

Any agency can host us. We will go anywhere if the basic requirements are met :)

If we have to travel very far, we need to make sure there are at least 20 students. The fee is only $99.00 per student if there are 20.

Agencies can open there doors and offset the cost by allowing uotehr depatrmants to send people. The only other thing is having an area large enough to conduct the training.

We are fast paced and upbeat with the training. I basically run a course the way I always wantd to attend one. In other words, we don't let you sit too long or move too long. It keeps the mind and body "fresh" for learning.

When you look at the "testimonials" of people that have attended the course you will see they have a blast.

Since it isn't a karate class or law enforcment defensive tactics EMS providers feel it is truly for them.... because it is. From the moment I created the course it was with EMS in mind only.

Plus the attitude of the instructors is to make you better, not show you how "tough" the instructor is.

It is the "People don't care how much you know, til they know how much you care" attitude we take in every class.

Don't be fooled by imitations. THis is the only class of it's kind. Many have tried to copy us. Believe me, I have sold my DVD and manual to Karate schools and other EMS instructors all over the world. I know what they are doing with it.

They have my material, but they don't have the "presentation" that makes people have an absolute blast (and actually learn something).

We don't teach "Subject Control" techniques. Instead we use a pattern of building on natural responses to stress. We do add some techniques for "if you screwed up" and ;et them get a hold of you, but the idea is simple:

1) Try not to be on an unsafe scene to begin with
2) Treat everyone with respect
3) Talk first
4) Prevent the punch, grab, strike etc
5) BUT if all that failed then we teach how to distract and escape!

NOT FIGHTING. THink like this..... How hard is to hit me if I keep backing up.

If backed into a corner (again who screwed up here and let the exit get blocked) then we teach you what to do.

Rather than simply lecture you about it and then touch you nice and easy........ we lecture, touch you nice and easy then Attack You. If I choke you, I choke you. Then once you escape it....you believe in yourself.

Once you practice the drills, by the end of the second day we are really punching at your face, really trying to choke you, really trying to push you hard etc.

But before the hands on, you learn laws, verbal skills, body language, proper documentation and reporting skills. You also get a good understanding that DT4EMS is NOT for an uncooperative patient. EMS Providers are sometimes confused between the two. (Patient vs attacker)

Prevention is best, but being assaulted is not part of the job!

Kendall

Forum Lieutenant
I think that's awesome! My service would jump at the chance. I've been searching for organizations that do that training in Canada. Anyone know of international trainers? (Service is too cheap to fly people to seminars... :glare: )

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
Kendall,

I have received several calls and emails from some folks in Canada. Some even purchased my DVD and manaul. One I know of started his own program now.

I will dig up some info and send you a pm.

JDFEMS

Forum Probie
Man, I wish something like that was offered in TX. Either it doesn't exist of I just have had my head in the wrong place!! (Happans alot, just ask my wife:) I just work for a Transport service only (BLS, ALS, CCT), but still, you get you're crazies..Considering my company has the contract for the County hospital, we see LOTS of Psychs.

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
JDFEMS said:
Man, I wish something like that was offered in TX. Either it doesn't exist of I just have had my head in the wrong place!! (Happans alot, just ask my wife:) I just work for a Transport service only (BLS, ALS, CCT), but still, you get you're crazies..Considering my company has the contract for the County hospital, we see LOTS of Psychs.

I wish "it" was offered in TX too. :) All they have to do is host us and we will come. :)

OP
OP
MedicPrincess

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Sorry...don't think I did get back to you

Hey Kip-

As nuts as I am regularly combined with as nuts as medic school is I don't think I ever got back to you on this.

This was put on by to SO Deputies. Basically our EMS Programs director went to them and asked them to put something together for us. So they took what they were taught as LEO's and tried to make it directed for us.

The first we spent 4 hours in the classroom. They talked about self defense, types of threats, ways to avoid being assaulted, and lectured on the types of evasion and SD techniques we would be learning.

After lunch we we out in the courtyard. We practiced what we had lectured on in the A.M. High blocks, low blocks, some kicks, punches. Palm-heel strikes, knife hand strikes, straight punches, hammer fists, elbow strikes.... Pretty low intensity, low contact.

The second day we went ahead and beat each others a$$es. We were in a gym, with a mat. We practiced different evasions, takedowns, pressure point techniques. It was intresting because we were practicing the knuckle rub to break a hold, and it did not work on me. My partner was originally "trying not to hurt" me, but since I wasn't letting go he really went to it. The instructors came over, and they both did it. I came away with a bruised hand, that hurt the next day....but my partner had figure a different way to get me off him.

The only part of the day I sort of disgreed with was the 30 minutes spent learning to disarm someone. We practiced disarming someone with a knife, and someone with a gun pointed at our heads.

We then had someone put on the Red Man suit. He attacked each one of us individually, and we had 45 seconds to fight him off. That was pretty awesome. The person who had it on is the one person in the class I feel like punching in the face on a regular basis. So getting to beat his a$$ for about a minute was really theraputic.

There was a lot of stress put on the need to use anything that requires making physical contact a last resort. Emphasis was put on talking our way out of potentially bad situations.

Not to much time, only about 1 hour in the morning of the first day, was spent on avoiding creating situations that may result in having to take the next step.

All in all it was pretty fun, pretty informative, and left me knowing just enough to make myself more aware on calls we go on. I don't want to take someone down, thats what those really handsome guys with guns are for. But when someone does become aggressive with my partner or I, at least I have something to draw on to potentially hold them off until LEO can get there.