Currently in an EMT course

uber09

Forum Ride Along
I'm in the EMT program at my community college. This course seems pretty tough (based on the material I've been reading)

Does anyone have any advice? I want to succeed and not have put my money to waste. We just started and we're reading chapters 5 through 8 in the new AAOS orange book.

Thanks.

Youngin

Forum Crew Member
Premium Member
Just read the chapters and pay attention in class. Your book has a section at the beginning of each chapter with a list of little knowledge objective things, so it's pretty plain what they want you to learn. And there's a review section at the end of each chapter with key fact thingies, terms, and review questions. Just study up on all of those and you'll be fine. Oh, and don't wait until the end of your course to start learning your skill sheets. If your instructor didn't give them to you yet, you can get them here: http://www.nremt.org/nremt/about/psychomotor_exam_emt.asp.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
U

uber09

Forum Ride Along
You're a student currently or already passed? What kind of questions would they ask? Mostly terminology? I think he gives it to us this week or next week.

So the Knowledge Objectives are the things I should focus most on, but not solely. Learn it all, but try to understand the K.O.'s more?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Settle down and just go with then flow. Failing that, use basic study aids such as making your own flash cards etc. If they are not explaining stuff to your understanding, I'd go buy a medical dictionary like Taber's, or maybe a Merck Manual.

Youngin

Forum Crew Member
Premium Member
You're a student currently or already passed? What kind of questions would they ask? Mostly terminology? I think he gives it to us this week or next week.

So the Knowledge Objectives are the things I should focus most on, but not solely. Learn it all, but try to understand the K.O.'s more?

I passed my course a few weeks ago. The questions on our tests were mainly scenario type questions, but you won't always get those right if you don't know the terminology. There were some terminology questions, but not way too many. I just read the chapters, used those knowledge objectives as a guideline for what to study, then made flashcards (quizlet.com is awesome for flash cards).

And take mycrofft's advice. Don't let yourself worry too much about it, it really isn't that difficult as long as you study a little bit and read the chapters.

Last edited by a moderator:

blachatch

Forum Lieutenant
Im in the same boat just started our first test is over the first 7 chapters! I think thats to weed out the people that wont put any effort into it. But the work load makes my days quite full. It is alot to take in for sure

Niccigsu

Forum Crew Member
Read Read Read! Do you have the workbook that goes along with the textbook? if so, use it. As said before, do the knowledge objectives at the beginning of each chapter. Also there is a website that goes along with the book, the info for it should be inside the front cover. Use the website to help you as well.

jlw

Dirty cot jockey
I'm in class now with the AAOS book and I think its a lot more informative and complex than the old brady books.

I first took my EMT class in 2001 but my cert expired in 2007. I'm repeating the whole course now and I think its harder the second time around using the AAOS book.

IMHO, the brady book was more of a when and how to treat book, the new AAOS book is how, when, and WHY. A little complex with some things for such a short course.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Read the chapters and pay attention in class. You'll be fine if you do both of these things. Study for the final if you feel you must.

TyBigz

Forum Probie
For my class that I took over the last summer I found that using the Kaplan pass the test book for Emt Basic to be extremely helpful. I however was in an accelerated program so there were at times 300 pages of reading due the next class. I took the MA Emt test and between the Kaplan book and national-emt-training.com the test seemed very easy. Also keep in mind that the class starts off harder because you need to learn how to take a similar test to how it will be for your state or NREMT test. Hope this helps!

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Keep up with the syllabus at all costs.

Do not take a break for any reason.

Avoid TV.

Watch the included DVD when you need to relax.

Avoid people (especially girlfriends) who make unreasonable demands and expectations for your time.

94H

Forum Lieutenant
Everyone studies differently

For me the most effective study method was to just read the chapters and pay attention in class. Our instructors put the powerpoints online about a month before the end of the class, so I reviewed those on areas I felt I was weak.

I also took some online quizzes for fun

The class seemed pretty straightforward to me and everyone in my class passed. Even with the class being in addition to a full college load

94H

Forum Lieutenant
I forgot to mention there is an online component you get access to with the AAOS book. There is an online quiz for each chapter, do those to increase your confidence before tests