Critical Care Paramedic

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief
FP-C is the hardest test I've ever taken. Usually I'm really good at standardized tests. I failed. Missed by 3 questions. (In my defense, the prep class was crappy, but in the end, I need to study more).

I took the flight paramedic (FP-C) and flight nurse (CFRN) exams one day apart. Even though I failed the CFRN by a few points, and passed the FP-C by about 10 or 15, I still say the FP-C was technically more challenging. They are both obviously very similar exams, but the CFRN had more nursing theory-type questions - something I obviously need more work on. <_<

FWIW, I found the CCP-C equally as challenging as the FP-C. They are more or less the same exam, only one has a flight component which can easily be crammed.

I didn't do a review class, so am not in a position to recommend them. What I would recommend are the ACE SAT and Holleran books. I also recently bought the very detailed (and very affordable) Back to Basics review book, which I stumbled across by accident.

I will crack the CFRN next year :beerchug:

Last edited by a moderator:

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
One of our HEMS once refused a flight because the dew point was too high.*

*It may have been super bowl Sunday... But I'm sure that is just coincidence.

A rising dew point is a perfectly legit reason not to fly. Once it gets within a few degrees of the temperature, it means that there is a high risk of fog forming soon, and dense fog can sometimes form very quickly. Heavy fog is one of the most dangerous conditions for a helicopter to be flying in.

Lifting off without current and forecast weather meeting minimums (visibility, ceiling, dewpoint) has not only killed many people, but it also violates federal aviation regulations and probably this program's SOP. So a pilot doing so is not only putting himself, his crew, the patient, the public, and the aircraft at risk, but even if nothing bad happened, he is putting his job and possibly even his pilot's license in jeopardy.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
We have one CCT-RN and two EMT-Bs. Me and my partner typically trade out every other shift who's driving all day and who's attending with the nurse all day. While I'm still new to the shift and figuring out the vent, us Basics will switch out the monitors, O2 and set up the vent etc. Our nurse will typically set up the IVs and pumps herself, as well as actually switch the patients vent from the hospitals to ours.

During transport the attending EMT-B, such as suction, bagging, vitals etc

Since I've been on the CCT shift (little over a month, before that i was on a BLS shift) we've had precisely one lights and sirens response and transport. Pt was at a routine doctors appointment, dropped in front of him, code blue called, taken to ED, found she was having a STEMI and needed cath lab. Cath lab was at the sister hospital 9 miles across town on the other side of a dense downtown. Read heavy traffic. We transported about 9 miles, 15-20 min going code. Pt went straight into the operating table at the cath lab.

Because we had an ED doc on board from the sending hospital, we took him back. Exact same route just reverse, took at least an hour. Just due to stop lights and downtown traffic in the afternoon. So yeah we def have situations where running code can significantly cut down transport time.

We'll normally get 2-3 Priority 1 transports a week, though my shift has only had 1 in the last months.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
CCT via Ground 1500 bucks plus mileage.

Air Lifted 5000 (+)

Theres still a use for them especially when weather is less than par and a flight crew is not available.

Our local flight crew started doing CCT by ground when the helo is grounded. I presume the Pilot drives since they figure he can fly a few million dollar air ship.. Driving a box isn't gonna be too difficult to learn

Clipper1

Forum Asst. Chief
Our local flight crew started doing CCT by ground when the helo is grounded. I presume the Pilot drives since they figure he can fly a few million dollar air ship.. Driving a box isn't gonna be too difficult to learn

Does the same company own both the helicopter and the ambulance? Often an ambulance service will be contracted to take the crew. That means the ambulance crew may also be with them. I just don't get why some think being an Ambulance Driver is so easy to where little to no training is required and it does not come with much responsibility. Maybe this is why ambulance safety and all the deadly MVCs get kicked to the curb in the hierarchy of importance. An Ambulance Driver needs the proper training and not to be assumed anyone can hop in take over. But, I also doubt if a helicopter pilot is going to want to drive an ambulance very much after spending a lot of money unless he was military trained and time to become a pilot. The 4 - 8 hours of EVOC in some places are a joke and not nearly enough either for the responsibility of driving an ambulance.

EMS pilots are or should be professional. It is rare they will abandon their helicopter and they do know the responsibility of getting themselves and the crew to and from safely.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Can't say I've ever heard of the pilot driving an ambulance, it's not likely to be in their job description. Furthermore I'd bet that majority of air medical pilots in this country are not employees of of the flight program but rather the aircraft contractor who supplies the helicopter.

Around here the flight crews have dedicated EMT drivers and their own ambulances.

truetiger

Forum Asst. Chief
We have a critical care team from a children's hospital set up like this, when the air unit isn't utilized, the pilot drives the rig.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
Does the same company own both the helicopter and the ambulance? Often an ambulance service will be contracted to take the crew. That means the ambulance crew may also be with them. I just don't get why some think being an Ambulance Driver is so easy to where little to no training is required and it does not come with much responsibility. Maybe this is why ambulance safety and all the deadly MVCs get kicked to the curb in the hierarchy of importance. An Ambulance Driver needs the proper training and not to be assumed anyone can hop in take over. But, I also doubt if a helicopter pilot is going to want to drive an ambulance very much after spending a lot of money unless he was military trained and time to become a pilot. The 4 - 8 hours of EVOC in some places are a joke and not nearly enough either for the responsibility of driving an ambulance.

EMS pilots are or should be professional. It is rare they will abandon their helicopter and they do know the responsibility of getting themselves and the crew to and from safely.

sorry should've followed up, yes the same company has the helicopter and ambulance service, they have a hired B/P crew to take the crew where they need to go. When the ground crew isn't on the truck they assist in the ER as techs.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
We have a critical care team from a children's hospital set up like this, when the air unit isn't utilized, the pilot drives the rig.

Saint Louis Children's or University's? Stl has an awesome setup. They have 2 helicopters, a fixed wing, and two MICU trucks. They are one of the few services in the country doing pediatric ECMO.