Criminal background

anonymousemtman

Forum Ride Along
Hey EMTLIFE users, I could really use your help on this one.

i am an EMT in Morris County, NJ. i volunteer at a township squad. before i started volunteering, my squad made me do a background check and i passed. a couple months later i was arrested and charged with possession (marijuana) with intent to distribute. i am currently in probation and doing well, passing all my drug tests and going to counseling. i realize that nj dept of health doesnt do background checks and i should be fine with them but im scared they will somehow find out and revoke my cert. i am a great emt and i plan on being an emt for the rest of my life. im hoping to get a full expungement from my record in three years and forget all about this mistake ive made.

what do you think i should do? should i contact the dept of health and tell them i was arrested and am on probation, and that it doesnt affect my patient care at all?

also, i doubt ill be able to get into medic school with a criminal background right? if not, i guess ill just wait the three years til its off my record..sigh

DESERTDOC

Forum Lieutenant
What is your court disposition? Were you convicted of a felony? I would get a good attorney.

EMS Patient Care Advocate

Forum Lieutenant
Unfortunately these things will follow you. If you think this is wiped from your record in three years you are sadly mistaken. ANY criminal charge felony or not will come up in a background check. I ALWAYS advise honesty. It doesn’t always work out for you but it gives you the chance to show some integrity and responsibility for your actions. There ARE certain charges that will hinder you in this field. Be ready to explain all the circumstances surrounding the case and I hope you can be honest about it, or yes you may have a lot of trouble.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Drug-related felonies will follow you, and almost always prevent you from working in a narc-administering role in heallthcare. It isn't that they don't think you have changed or whatever, its that it is just too risky and hard to justify letting people with that history having possession of the drugs.

dstevens58

Forum Lieutenant
On a criminal background check, the arrest may not come up.

However, on an application with an agency, I believe the question is, "Have you ever been arrested?"

How you going to answer?

crazycajun

Forum Captain
Hey EMTLIFE users, I could really use your help on this one.

i am an EMT in Morris County, NJ. i volunteer at a township squad. before i started volunteering, my squad made me do a background check and i passed. a couple months later i was arrested and charged with possession (marijuana) with intent to distribute. i am currently in probation and doing well, passing all my drug tests and going to counseling. i realize that nj dept of health doesnt do background checks and i should be fine with them but im scared they will somehow find out and revoke my cert. i am a great emt and i plan on being an emt for the rest of my life. im hoping to get a full expungement from my record in three years and forget all about this mistake ive made.

what do you think i should do? should i contact the dept of health and tell them i was arrested and am on probation, and that it doesnt affect my patient care at all?

also, i doubt ill be able to get into medic school with a criminal background right? if not, i guess ill just wait the three years til its off my record..sigh

I assume because of the intent charge you either had a fair amount or individually packaged amounts. Either way it seems to me that your bad decisions most likely have rendered your career choice useless unless you continue to just volunteer. As far as being a medic, all companies that I have ever applied to ask if you have ever been arrested for a drug offense or violent crime. Even though they claim they cannot deny you employment for it, they just toss your app when you leave. I also do not know of any medic program that will take you as they also check for arrest in all the places you have lived for the past 15 years.

Sasha

Forum Chief

However, on an application with an agency, I believe the question is, "Have you ever been arrested?"

How you going to answer?

May not, but it will loook sooooo bad if they some how find out another way.

Good luck, I don't see you getting hired with an intent to sell charge.. Especially since being a medic means narcs.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader

How you going to answer?

Most of the apps I've dealt with read, "Have you ever been convicted of...." You can be arrested but not convicted and be fine.

To the original poster (OP), what does your handbook say? Does it say that if you're convicted that you have to fess up?

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
Around here the sale of drugs is an automatic DQ from the hiring process. Its on every personal history statement and polygraph test.

CheifBud

Forum Crew Member
As per advice, I'm sorry I have none but this scares the sh*t out of me. This is why you always leave it at home. Never will I be found with a sac in my car... if they came in my house that's another story.

I thought I'd let you know I feel your pain. I am not a drinker by any means, don't even take ibuprofen, and I quit cigarettes but I love nothing more than fresh herbal inhalation after a long day. Sick of seeing FF and PD on there time off drunk at the bar and couldn't spell there name correctly but I puff a joint and I'm Hitler/Bin Ladin/Satin all in one..... /endwhining

As per the OP I would always be honest with the employer. They have 3 weeks to look into you and other candidates while you only have 10 mins to show them something. I would always assume it will be found out and I would always rather speak to it and let the employer know you take responsibility for it and have learned from your mistake instead of letting them form an opinion which may differ greatly from what actually occurred.

If the employer does know and my be willing to work with it you will be under much greater scrutiny. Things such as forgetting to capitalize your 'I' (not comparing a forum post to a resume; just pointing it out) no longer means you may have forgot to press shift. Oh no, it is because you are a stupid pothead and less of a person because you burned a couple trees. Somewhat of a dramatization but you see what I mean. Stuttering, rambling, 'Umms", bad posture, ect. will all be amplified during an interview if the employer knows of your charges.

Good luck, I hope all goes well.

Sasha

Forum Chief
This is why you always leave it at home.

Why not try actually not doing drugs?

Cup of Joe

Forum Captain
I believe what you do in your own time is your choice. If you want to smoke, you are doing so by your own choice and are accepting the risk of the consequences as well. Doing so on the job is a completely different matter, and should be subject to very strict punishments.

All of the paper work I have filled out has asked if I was convicted of a crime (either felony or misdemeanor). In your case, since you were convicted of a crime, it will be up to the state to allow you a certificate, and any employer who would hire you.

CheifBud

Forum Crew Member

Why not eat steamed veggies instead of a burger once in a while?

Why drive a car when you could ride a bike 15 miles to work everyday?

Why do you have a 32'' TV instead of a 22'' TV?

We can do this for days...

Why do we do a lot of the things we do? Because we like it. I don't ask why people drink, or why someone plays Call of Duty for 5 hours straight, why people drink soda instead of water, I can go on all day but it would best be summed up in the following. I love it.... I love smoking then starting a fresh BioChem lecture, playing a soccer game, or going out with friends as I don't drink but need something to take the edge off listening to screaming drunk people all night.

Oh and unlike Alcohal I will never OD, never have my stomach pumped, won't get into a drunken bar fight ( how many people get high and start fighting ), I'm not going to get lost finding the bathroom, I don't wake up puking my guts out with a headache and I can perform any task whilst high better and with more dexterity, precision, attention to detail, or whatever it may be than someone would whilst being drunk. We pretty much have a society built on alcohol and then complain when thousands upon thousands are killed in drunk driving accidents. I just cannot fathom crashing my car due to the influence of marijuana, it just doesn't seem possible. Now I drive 3 blocks home drunk and swear there is 3 lanes even though its just a sidewalk I'm on. Alcoholic parents beating there kids indiscriminately and the hundreds of other problems associated with alcoholic consumption are something to consider. While anyone who has ever smoked marijuana (if you haven't its ok, you can pretend you know what you are talking about like everyone else) more than that "first time you got drunk and smoked at a frat party", you will know without a doubt that alcohol impairs you FAR more than marijuana ever will.

If we have deemed a substance suitable for consumption then I should be able to enjoy another substance with far less intoxicating properties.

Now if you're saying that we should all be %100 perfect in EVERY way shape and form (before we start mounting that HIGH horse this means every incomplete stop, little white lie, those couple grapes you ate the grocery store, oh and when you judge people for smoking marijuana, and every other action that can be considered dangerous, harmful, immoral or detrimental to our existence) then I can agree with you and will consider cessation from my herbal intake. But this is not the case nor will it ever be.

CheifBud

Forum Crew Member
I believe what you do in your own time is your choice. If you want to smoke, you are doing so by your own choice and are accepting the risk of the consequences as well. Doing so on the job is a completely different matter, and should be subject to very strict punishments.

All of the paper work I have filled out has asked if I was convicted of a crime (either felony or misdemeanor). In your case, since you were convicted of a crime, it will be up to the state to allow you a certificate, and any employer who would hire you.

I agree also and even as a heavy marijuana user I think your *** should be thrown out of EMS for being high on the job without question. But when my chief goes out to the bar that night I wan't to have my joint to blow off the stress. I have other friends I work with that use and its no secret that we will go straight to the Chief if any of us show up high. Its fun to hang out with them and smoke, its not fun to work with them/me when we're high. I need every second, I can't afford to ask again what dosage I was to administer, or the hundreds of small but crucial things I may over look being torched. I don't need to tell you that you need to be at %100 on every call!

saskvolunteer

Forum Lieutenant
Why not eat steamed veggies instead of a burger once in a while?

Why drive a car when you could ride a bike 15 miles to work everyday?

Why do you have a 32'' TV instead of a 22'' TV?

We can do this for days...

Why do we do a lot of the things we do? Because we like it. I don't ask why people drink, or why someone plays Call of Duty for 5 hours straight, why people drink soda instead of water, I can go on all day but it would best be summed up in the following. I love it.... I love smoking then starting a fresh BioChem lecture, playing a soccer game, or going out with friends as I don't drink but need something to take the edge off listening to screaming drunk people all night.

Oh and unlike Alcohal I will never OD, never have my stomach pumped, won't get into a drunken bar fight ( how many people get high and start fighting ), I'm not going to get lost finding the bathroom, I don't wake up puking my guts out with a headache and I can perform any task whilst high better and with more dexterity, precision, attention to detail, or whatever it may be than someone would whilst being drunk. We pretty much have a society built on alcohol and then complain when thousands upon thousands are killed in drunk driving accidents. I just cannot fathom crashing my car due to the influence of marijuana, it just doesn't seem possible. Now I drive 3 blocks home drunk and swear there is 3 lanes even though its just a sidewalk I'm on. Alcoholic parents beating there kids indiscriminately and the hundreds of other problems associated with alcoholic consumption are something to consider. While anyone who has ever smoked marijuana (if you haven't its ok, you can pretend you know what you are talking about like everyone else) more than that "first time you got drunk and smoked at a frat party", you will know without a doubt that alcohol impairs you FAR more than marijuana ever will.

If we have deemed a substance suitable for consumption then I should be able to enjoy another substance with far less intoxicating properties.

Now if you're saying that we should all be %100 perfect in EVERY way shape and form (before we start mounting that HIGH horse this means every incomplete stop, little white lie, those couple grapes you ate the grocery store, oh and when you judge people for smoking marijuana, and every other action that can be considered dangerous, harmful, immoral or detrimental to our existence) then I can agree with you and will consider cessation from my herbal intake. But this is not the case nor will it ever be.

You're a piece of work. Plain and simple.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I am in no way shape or form saying we should be 100% perfect, but we should obey the laws. All those things you listed are different because none of them are ILLEGAL.

Following the law is not hard.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C

+1

I would think it would be a lot easier to just not do them, perhaps I'm crazy though? Personally, I find it extremely unfitting of a healthcare provider to participate in such actions, especially when their advice to someone else is "just leave your drugs at home, it's what I do". If you want to do drugs then more power to you, but once you travel down that road, please pull to the right, because that behavior belongs nowhere near EMS or any public service.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cup of Joe

Forum Captain
I agree also and even as a heavy marijuana user I think your *** should be thrown out of EMS for being high on the job without question. But when my chief goes out to the bar that night I wan't to have my joint to blow off the stress. I have other friends I work with that use and its no secret that we will go straight to the Chief if any of us show up high. Its fun to hang out with them and smoke, its not fun to work with them/me when we're high. I need every second, I can't afford to ask again what dosage I was to administer, or the hundreds of small but crucial things I may over look being torched. I don't need to tell you that you need to be at %100 on every call!

I am in no way condoning marijuana use, I'm simply stating that you have every right to do what you want to yourself, and you are accepting the consequences. Marijuana use, while seeming less dangerous than alcohol, is still dangerous. You're inhaling smoke, which is not good for your lungs at all. Marijuana is also proven to damage the brain with long term use. Everyone is held to the same standards, and if you want to be a heavy duty pot smoker, I think eventually its gonna come back to bite you in the *** if that previous charge doesn't.

I'll even go on to add one more point: even IF marijuana is legalized, it's use among EMS professionals should be kept far away from affecting patient care at minimum.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
You're a piece of work. Plain and simple.

Actually, it's a valid question to ask why some drugs are legal and others aren't. Why isn't tobacco schedule 1 and alcohol schedule 2 or 3 instead of being largely unregulated compared to drugs like marijuana?

JPINFV

Gadfly
+1

I would think it would be a lot easier to just not do them, perhaps I'm crazy though? Personally, I find it extremely unfitting of a healthcare provider to participate in such actions, especially when their advice to someone else is "just leave your drugs at home, it's what I do". If you want to do drugs then more power to you, but once you travel down that road, please pull to the right, because that behavior belongs nowhere near EMS or any public service.

Are you saying that for any reason besides the legality issue? Should people who do alcohol stay out of health care too?