COVID VACCINE - The Megathread

Would you get the Pfizer vaccine if it were available to you?

• Total voters

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Unpopular opinion here- Anyone asking an EMT or paramedic for serious detailed medical advice on vaccines is asking the wrong “healthcare provider.”

The main duty we have in EMS is to slam that bang energy drink and quit loitering around in the EMS room because there are calls holding. Public education on virology isn’t our domain

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Unpopular opinion here- Anyone asking an EMT or paramedic for serious detailed medical advice on vaccines is asking the wrong “healthcare provider.”

The main duty we have in EMS is to slam that bang energy drink and quit loitering around in the EMS room because there are calls holding. Public education on virology isn’t our domain
Not serious detailed medical advice, more along "most of the medical community believes this is safe and the data supports that." Like I have said ad nauseum, I am not an expert and will not pretend to be one. I will support the conclusions of the experts and not let my own lack of understanding cloud their message. Whether or not we should be in this position, we are. Not to an extensive degree, but it would be quite naive to think that no one will ever ask you about a vaccine.

But you call, we haul, that's all, right?

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I got my shot earlier this afternoon. I didn't lose all my hair.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Is there amy guidance on going past 21 days between doses for pfizer? Best I can do is 28 unless I change my schedule around.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I am not sure who is supposed to be skeptical then if these were not directed at all of us. And again, I am not sure why I am qualified to be questioning much related to the vaccine. I suppose you can argue there is a spin on everything and to try and take that away, I guess I trust the public health community to avoid doing this.

Frankly if you cannot provide some science as to why the vaccine is harmful, why again do I need to give them the benefit of the doubt?
I've never argued that you or that anyone else on this forum or elsewhere should be skeptical about the vaccine. Not with a single word. Why would I do that if I were going to be one of the first folks in line to get the vaccine myself?

What I have done is repeatedly given examples of why so many people out there feel skeptical about the vaccine (not even necessarily about the safety of the vaccine; often just about the necessity of them personally receiving it), and justify why feelings that way doesn't make those people stupid.

If I have failed to convince you that skepticism is a rational reaction for many people given their knowledge and perspective on things right now, that's fine.

To add, we are healthcare providers. We have a duty to educate the public to an extent. If the science is good, we should be saying that and not "well it's up to you." It's of course up to the patient, but people look to healthcare providers for advice and we best not forget that.
Completely disagree that it is appropriate for me to try to "educate people" into making a decision on anything that I do not myself thoroughly understand and cannot confidently explain throughly.

If it comes up, I'll tell anyone who asks - family member, friend, patient - that the trial data and real world experience thus far appears to indicate that the vaccine is very safe, and that the benefits appear to easily outweigh the risks, especially for patients who are at high risk of developing severe COVID. I'll even voluntarily disclose that I received it and had no issues at all and that I feel good about my choice. If that helps someone make their own decision, great. But that information is all easily accessible in the media. I won't be telling them anything they haven't already been told repeatedly.

What I won't do is try to talk someone into receiving a drug that doesn't even have full FDA approval and that I can't explain anything about or answer any questions about. I'll refer them to their PCP, who presumably has done a lot more reading on this than I and is well versed in routinely recommending all manner of things as a matter of protocol.

Even when it comes to anesthesia - something with which I have actual expertise - I don't ever try to talk patients into anything that I don't know inside and out. I have to not only feel strongly that this thing is in their best interest, but also be able to explain it thoroughly in simple or technical terms, including being able to answer pretty much any conceivable questions that they may have.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
My FD (through the county public health dept) is offering the vaccine, and several of our officers (Captains and Lts) are opting out, as well as line firefighters. Chief isn't thrilled (he's getting it, and thinks others should too), but he respects their decision, and he isn't going to force anyone to get it.

however, masks are now mandatory from the moment you enter the station until you leave (exception if you are isolated in the bunk rooms, actively eating, or sleeping).

masks are mandatory when you are in the apparatus.

and if you don't receive the shot, you will be required to sign a covid release form, releasing the department from any liability if you contract the virus, releasing the department from any workers compensation claims and any sick time lability that the department may incur.

But here is some information directly from the Pfizer fact sheet:
The Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine is a vaccine and may prevent you from getting COVID-19. There is no U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved vaccine to prevent COVID-19.
So other than the standard legal disclaimers, take that statement to mean whatever you want.

I'm getting the first shot a week from Saturday. I'm hoping it makes me lose 20 lbs, let me sleep better, and grant me the ability to leap tall buildings in a single bound. Bonus will be X ray vision

Alan L Serve

Forum Captain
Why do I need to prove something I never claimed? You're the one making claims without offering any proof. I'm just calling you out on your rhetoric and hyperbole because this issue is too important for such nonsense.

But here you go...no vaccine is 100% safe and effective. Every one has risks, no matter how small.
My dear friend,
These vaccines are
safe
and effective. Period.

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain
Is there amy guidance on going past 21 days between doses for pfizer? Best I can do is 28 unless I change my schedule around.
Our hospital is saying you can go over 21 days if your schedule doesn't permit getting the second dose in the "ideal 17-21 day window"

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
My dear friend,
These vaccines are
safe
and effective. Period.
They may be, or they may have side effects we're not aware of yet.

Either way, that is still a far cry from your claim that a vote against getting vaccinated is a vote for death.

I've yet to see you offer any supporting evidence to back up your beliefs, so at this point it appears as if you think everyone should believe and agree with you simply because you stated your opinion.

You're the one stating personal opinions as facts, and repeatedly stated that there is no legitimacy in vaccine related skepticism, being cautious about a new vaccine is voting for death and a general intolerance of any viewpoint that does not mirror your own.

Why should anyone listen to you? What are your qualifications to determine what other people should do with their lives? What is the source for your beliefs? Have you actually read the medical studies on the vaccine or are you just parroting what you hear in the media?

I've said it before and I'll say it again. "Do it because I said so" may work with your kids, but will not and should not work with adults. This subject is too important to handle with anything other than logic, supporting facts and reason.

Period.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Our hospital is saying you can go over 21 days if your schedule doesn't permit getting the second dose in the "ideal 17-21 day window"
I finally got a hold of someone, 21-24 days no exceptions. Buuuuut, my company just dropped the 48 hours off requirement for med crew. Pilots are still held to it by the FAA.

Alan L Serve

Forum Captain
They may be, or they may have side effects we're not aware of yet.

Either way, that is still a far cry from your claim that a vote against getting vaccinated is a vote for death.

I've yet to see you offer any supporting evidence to back up your beliefs, so at this point it appears as if you think everyone should believe and agree with you simply because you stated your opinion.

You're the one stating personal opinions as facts, and repeatedly stated that there is no legitimacy in vaccine related skepticism, being cautious about a new vaccine is voting for death and a general intolerance of any viewpoint that does not mirror your own.

Why should anyone listen to you? What are your qualifications to determine what other people should do with their lives? What is the source for your beliefs? Have you actually read the medical studies on the vaccine or are you just parroting what you hear in the media?

I've said it before and I'll say it again. "Do it because I said so" may work with your kids, but will not and should not work with adults. This subject is too important to handle with anything other than logic, supporting facts and reason.

Period.

My dear friend,
COVID is not
benign. Vaccinate
and be safe.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I got my shot earlier this afternoon. I didn't lose all my hair.
So you only lost most of your hair. Hopefully you haven't grown any new appendages... ;)

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
So you only lost most of your hair. Hopefully you haven't grown any new appendages... ;)
Don't you have to have hair to lose in the first place?

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
@Akulahawk When you said appendages, I didn't know how to say it nicely. I've been joking with all my friends about it, haha!!!

If I could, I'd whip you guys with my hair, but I don't want to damage the ends.