COVID-19 precautions may make other germs more effective

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

Summit

Critical Crazy
What a joke. So, absolutely nothing to see here. It's just a dose of normal.

Rhinoviruses are massive snot producers and thus are a great fomite spread virus while kids ABSOLUTELY SUCK at washing their hands. So you open schools and have fomite transmission? DUH!

Enteroviruses are also listed in the article. These are NOT a respiratory viruses. These are fecal-oral transmission, again KIDS ABSOLUTELY SUCK at washing their hands.

This is all about crappy hand hygiene and surface disinfection!

Droplet transmitted RVs like hMPV, PIV 1/2/3, Flu A/B, and adenoviruses are all subdemic or completely gone from RVP results. These RVs are all dead due to COVID transmission precautions. The only thing we see circulating on the RVPs are Rhinoviruses (and we used to see some RSV until the schools closed, but that is another snot factory virus in kids).

People in general suck at washing their hands, even in COVID times, and kids are the worst.

OceanBossMan263

Forum Crew Member
How much money have we spent in the last year telling people to WASH YOUR DAMN HANDS?!

Lothric

Forum Ride Along
How safe is it to make a coronavirus vaccine? It's just that I've been told different stories, and I don't even know which one to believe. There were cases when people felt terrible and could lie in bed at home for a week. It's just that I was seriously thinking about vaccinations when I found out that my friend was infected with the coronavirus. I ordered on *url removed* a test to see if I was infected with the species since I spent quite a lot of time with my friend. Thank God the test came back negative. To be honest, I began to think about getting vaccinated despite such a large number of negative reviews about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I won't try to convince you the COVID-19 vaccine is safe. You'll continue to hear from others who contradict that, and you'll believe whatever you choose to believe. What I'd like to remind you, though, is that the COVID-19 virus can be deadly or debilitating. I think that's as close to a fact as anything you'll hear. So the decision for you should be, which presents the greater risk: the disease or the vaccine? To me, it's a no-brainer, but I guess you could say I'm biased because I've lived a full life without any adverse effects from vaccines or the diseases they've protected me against.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
To be honest, I began to think about getting vaccinated despite such a large number of negative reviews about it.

For what it's worth, I had both of mine already. first in December 2020 and second back in mid January. *ZERO* side effects. None whatsoever. It hurt way less than a TdAP booster.

but I don't really know where I'd leave a review. Of course the negative crowd is going to be much much much louder. that's just how people are.

RedBlanketRunner

Opheophagus Hannah Cuddler
Transmission. Washing hands. <facepalm>
I got my first full time start working in a hospital as a B-MET. And the B-MET was automatically a member of the infection control committee. So I was handed the regular all employees infection control procedures list plus the committee list. And then, some problems had come down in the past and the DoNs had their own list. So, among other things, I had lists of about 100 instances of when hand washing was in order.

To complicate matters, I was pushing the B-MET service cart most of the time which was always considered contaminated. No way could all the tools and etc in the cart be kept clean let alone sterile.
And so, it boiled down to just about every time I worked from my service cart the next stop was a washing station. Sometimes I'd get lucky, say an IVAC check, move the DUT to the to-be-cleaned parking lot, wash hands and move on. Or sometimes, like when troubleshooting an antique nurse call system and having to move from central station to various patient rooms I'd be washing my hands every minute or two.

A couple of years on the job it got to the point that I would automatically stop and wash my hands every time I passed near a sink. Around 100 times a day wouldn't be stretching it. Of course, floor and OB were the worst where there is no clean zone to work out of, and when I had to do the electrical safety inspections, searching out the pieces of equipment sometimes lurking in the strangest places a couple hundred hand washings a day was possible.

To this day as I putter around the house I still have a compulsive urge every time I pass near the bathrooms or kitchen sink. And when I'm working on something, say like yesterday rewiring a couple of appliances and I would have to go get more tools or parts, the kitchen sink becomes a person magnet and I would end up mentally telling myself, no, you don't have to wash yet. RELAX!.

As a side note, a funny little irony. Somewhere down the road it was determined that only housekeeping was to clean patient area equipment. As B-MET I always had to move or flag such equipment for housekeeping to clean before returning to service. But over on another loop. it was the B-METs job to train housekeeping how to clean the equipment.

Last edited: