Could looking young ..

nick Joseph

Forum Crew Member
Might be a stupid question but I'm curious , im 19 years old and look younger ( I know 19 is young still but I mean like under 18 young) could this possibly ruin my chances for employment or make an employer have a bad
First impression? Everytime I go on calls I hear " are you old enough to be doing this??" Lol. Doesn't bother me just want to know if it's going to hurt my chances or not .

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I used to get it all the time. Still get it every now and then. Never had any trouble gaining employment.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
I look young. I have never had trouble getting a job.

I just figure I will look fabulous when I am 40.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
It shouldn't matter if you look young to get a job. If you have proof that you're 19 (drivers license etc.) it shouldn't be a problem. It happened to me when I first became a EMT at 18 fresh out of high school, never had a problem getting hired.

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
it wont affect you getting a job but it will definitely affect how your peers/patients react and treat you. initially anyways

RebelAngel

White Cloud
I am 32 and have been told I look like I'm 16. My boyfriend and I went to Reno last Spring and I was continually carded. I'm use to it.

As long as you are confident, carry yourself well, and know what you're doing it won't matter how old you look.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
it wont affect you getting a job but it will definitely affect how your peers/patients react and treat you. initially anyways
This. I get told I look 14. Initially some patients are apprehensive but their view point changes usually.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I look 30.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
My very first ride out in clinicals, I was saying "Yes Sir" and "No Sir" to my preceptor in answering questions (which I do in any conversation), and he eventually turned and firmly said stop calling him sir, then reeled back and said, "Wait, how old are you?" "...18..." "Nevermind, keep calling me sir."

I've never had issues with employment based on my age, just experience. That includes a crummy IFT job and an ED job at a large hospital. If you can hold your weight in a conversation and have a mature demeanor, then who cares if you ARE 12? Earn their respect. Age isn't on your resume.