Coronavirus Discussion Thread

Summit

Critical Crazy
Completely symptom free with a negative test once all symptoms have been gone for 24 hours or more.
I sincerely hope your symptoms have resolved at this point.

That guidance is outdated. CDC specifically recommends against test based strategies for RTW except in rare cases (immunocompromised), and in those cases, two negative tests are recommended.

We have good evidence that for mild to moderate cases in immunocompetent patients, no viable virus is shed after reaching both day 9 from symptom onset (we use 10 to be safe) + 1 day post improved symptoms (without antipyretics).

We know people can shed RNA targets of the PCRs after that criteria causing positive tests well after the period of contagiousness is past. We've known this for a while actually. The latest greatest read is this prepress metanalysis of 79 studies looking at viral shedding by respiratory, stool and serum. The important take home is that while patients can shed viral RNA for quite a while (as much as 89 days), the maximum viable virus has been 9 days after onset of symptoms.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I sincerely hope your symptoms have resolved at this point.

That guidance is outdated. CDC specifically recommends against test based strategies for RTW except in rare cases (immunocompromised), and in those cases, two negative tests are recommended.

We have good evidence that for mild to moderate cases in immunocompetent patients, no viable virus is shed after reaching both day 9 from symptom onset (we use 10 to be safe) + 1 day post improved symptoms (without antipyretics).

We know people can shed RNA targets of the PCRs after that criteria causing positive tests well after the period of contagiousness is past. We've known this for a while actually. The latest greatest read is this prepress metanalysis of 79 studies looking at viral shedding by respiratory, stool and serum. The important take home is that while patients can shed viral RNA for quite a while (as much as 89 days), the maximum viable virus has been 9 days after onset of symptoms.
My situation is a little odd at this point. I had a cough before covid started. I still currently have a cough and since that is a symptom of covid I am not cleared as of right now.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I was required to test for it. If I tested negative then I would have to use a mix of PTO and sick time as it would have been treated like a normal illness. Since I tested positive I am receiving my normal pay including OT/DT without having to utilize and of my PTO or sick pay. I’ve been off work for 4 weeks now.
Too bad that PTO use is based on the results of testing that to my understanding is still not super accurate. Feeling v fortunate that we don't have to use sick for any sort of covid type symptoms.

Summit

Critical Crazy
My situation is a little odd at this point. I had a cough before covid started. I still currently have a cough and since that is a symptom of covid I am not cleared as of right now.
Completely symptom free is a huge hurdle, and one that is not commanded by CDC guidance nor the literature. This is especially so with a singular pre-existing symptom like a cough. Improved symptoms is the expectation (and no fever).

Anyway, even in severely ill cases who are immunocompetent, there is no way you are infections at 15 days, much less 20. 4 weeks? That is ridiculous. That's what happens when organizations pick and choose little bits of this strategy, mix it with that strategy, then impose some additional caveats too.

Enjoy the free vacation I suppose!

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
That’s crazy. I live in the southeast where the environmental allergens have me and half the population dealing with a mild, intermittent cough and other minor respiratory symptoms on and off almost year round. Myself and half the hospital medical and nursing staff would be quarantined at home indefinitely if we used your employers criteria.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Wife gets her brain swabbed tomorrow morning. Work requires it, they dont actually care what the results are as far as returning to work. They only care that she has the test.

As one of the least hit areas of the country as far as hospital admissions, I find it kind of ridiculous that covid positive employees are allowed to work in the hospital, let alone the ICU.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Wellp, after almost a week straight of triple digit new cases each day, ICU usage went from like 49% to 53% but at least one hospital is "full up"
(And our department after no cases since March has had 11 FFs (from 3 seperate stations) in the past week or so)

Basically they were saying that our hospitals were managing the COVID cases (when it was like 20-30 per day or less), but at this new current rate of infection they could be overwhelmed by the end of the month.

So, theyre locking things back down. Inter-Island travel mandatory 14 day quarantine has been reinstated. Bars are closed for 3 weeks. Public parks, including beaches are closed. You can swim, surf, dive, fish (below high water mark, etc) but are only allowed on the sand to get to the water, no sunbathing, walking, running, biking, etc not allowed)

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
ICU capacity is still hovering around 50% filled Statewide.

But apparently Med/Surge beds are at over 90% capacity and they're requesting Military nurses

And apparently the other day virtually every hospital on island was on divert all at once due to overcrowded ERs

So we're back on lockdown. Another 2 weeks of Work from Home/Stay at Home orders closing all non-essential businesses

“If you need to get a haircut, go now,” [Mayor Kirk Caldwell] said.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
This may be the neverending disease. Apparently a man who already had COVID was reinfected with. A different strain.

The important part here is the second infection was mild, or in this case no symptoms. With only one confirmed case of a second infection, we can only speculate, but hopefully this means the body has a much better memory for covid than it does for influenza.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
The important part here is the second infection was mild, or in this case no symptoms. With only one confirmed case of a second infection, we can only speculate, but hopefully this means the body has a much better memory for covid than it does for influenza.
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. After all, this is only the first *confirmed* case of reinfection. There's been way too many mistakes, disinformation, and unknown factors about this disease to rest easy yet.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
As a civilian I'm still struggling to find nitrile gloves, N95 masks, and cleaning wipes.

How is everyone doing supply wise?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
As a civilian I'm still struggling to find nitrile gloves, N95 masks, and cleaning wipes.

No issues for either of my companies. Plenty of gloves, N95/P100, gowns, and cleaning supplies.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT

Wipes & gloves i'm good & have a fair amount. K*N95 masks i have a 20 pack i found at my local store