Coronavirus Discussion Thread

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Ok, well your position is known. You’ll be calling off sick wishing things were different and most of the rest of us will be at work, making the best of this reality..
Hero complex much, bro?

RedBlanketRunner

Opheophagus Hannah Cuddler
Also it’s really laughable that your source to bash the POTUS and how to treat/not treat COVID is from the NIGERIAN CDC! Hahaha.
1. I grabbed the first and last reference from a very long list.
2. Hydroxychloroquine in the form of Plaquenil, an antimalarial, is available over the counter in some countries and handed out like candy by physicians in many others.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
1. I grabbed the first and last reference from a very long list.
2. Hydroxychloroquine in the form of Plaquenil, an antimalarial, is available over the counter in some countries and handed out like candy by physicians in many others.
Why would other countrys care what our president says? Dont they have their own president to listen too?

And since the US is currently sporting one of the lowest mortality rates, Id say were doing something right.

RedBlanketRunner

Opheophagus Hannah Cuddler
Now that testing is underway at an almost reasonable pace in the U.S. it has jumped to #3, just below Italy and China in the number of infections.
Why would other countrys care what our president says? Dont they have their own president to listen too?
They do. Why is irrelevant but tens of millions of people look to exalted authority figures regardless of nationality and take their word as gospel facts. Subservience runs very deep among the poorly educated.
But none of this is relevant. Why is a non medically qualified person in a position of authority advocating the use of certain drugs? Drugs that have not undergone proper testing no less. I'm not sure what the medical standards are in the US at this moment, but anyone who works as a health care provider below qualified physician who suggests untested drugs would have been given walking papers in my day.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Now that testing is underway at an almost reasonable pace in the U.S. it has jumped to #3, just below Italy and China in the number of infections.

They do. Why is irrelevant but tens of millions of people look to exalted authority figures regardless of nationality and take their word as gospel facts. Subservience runs very deep among the poorly educated.
But none of this is relevant. Why is a non medically qualified person in a position of authority advocating the use of certain drugs?
Im not talking about number of infections, im talking mortality rate.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Based on daily televised briefings I’m seeing from federal, state and local officials, I get the impression most of the non-medical public think outcomes from COVID-19 infections are binary: either death or complete recovery. With published mortality rates hovering around 3% and the reasonable assumption that most of those people will be elderly and/or chronically ill, I think there’s a false sense of security among younger, healthy adults, who are vulnerable to autoimmune complications that aren’t getting much publicity.

I’m wondering if any of you see opportunities to educate people about that third category of COVID-19 outcomes – long-term or permanent disability (if not death) secondary to organ damage. Perhaps such feedback would encourage those in allegedly lower-risk groups to take recommended precautions.

Any thoughts?

RocketMedic

Based on daily televised briefings I’m seeing from federal, state and local officials, I get the impression most of the non-medical public think outcomes from COVID-19 infections are binary: either death or complete recovery. With published mortality rates hovering around 3% and the reasonable assumption that most of those people will be elderly and/or chronically ill, I think there’s a false sense of security among younger, healthy adults, who are vulnerable to autoimmune complications that aren’t getting much publicity.

I’m wondering if any of you see opportunities to educate people about that third category of COVID-19 outcomes – long-term or permanent disability (if not death) secondary to organ damage. Perhaps such feedback would encourage those in allegedly lower-risk groups to take recommended precautions.

Any thoughts?
I think this is going to be a VERY relevant finding in three to six months, and might help to blunt secondary and tertiary peaks. Historically, people were accepting of pandemics, but debility was terrifying- polio, scarlet fever, typhoid, etc. We don’t have that cultural awareness and I think that particular hazard will loom large in the public consciousness going forward, especially as people don’t recover to their pre-infection normal.

Summit

Critical Crazy
And since the US is currently sporting one of the lowest mortality rates, Id say were doing something right.

You mean testing too narrowly, triaging testing, having really delayed test results, and giving the lowest priority to testing dead people?

Yes, that does tend to make our numbers LOOK better. USA! USA! USA!

I'm a patriot BUT a realist. The WEAKEST part of the American system is our ability to respond to a mass public health emergency. Witness our reality, do not deny it.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
You mean testing too narrowly, triaging testing, having really delayed test results, and giving the lowest priority to testing dead people?

Hey! You "can't" have it if you don't test for it!

RocketMedic

“Died of the pleurisy”

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

I'm a patriot BUT a realist. The WEAKEST part of the American system is our ability to respond to a mass public health emergency. Witness our reality, do not deny it.
Actually, there is good reason to think that we are going to fare much better than both China and Italy, in terms of both rates of infection and mortality.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Actually, there is good reason to think that we are going to fare much better than both China and Italy, in terms of both rates of infection and mortality.
All ears........

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
Side by side comparisons of the US as a whole and China/European countries are not valid. Comparisons by state, maybe. Vast differences in population density, mass transit infrastructure and total population just for starters are confounders that make the math next to impossible. Hearing otherwise smart people compare a country like Italy to the US in this situation is embarrassing.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
The Mayor has just ordered an emergency Stay at Home/Shelter In Place order for Oahu and a 14 day quarantine for travelers.

There's currently 56 confirmed cases in the State, 3 requiring hospitalization, no deaths

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Most of what is presented in the media is done without any context and is even intentionally slanted so as to be sensational. Most of the projections are based on the assumption that mitigating steps won't help all that much, and that in the absence of government mandates, individuals won't modify their own behavior at all.

The projections are also based on the idea that what happens in China and Italy is likely to happen here, despite the fact that most parts of China have much higher population densities than most parts of the US, as do the parts of Italy that have been hardest hit. A much higher part of China's population smoke cigarettes (30%), and in Italy it is almost 50% as well as having a much older population. Sanitation is also a problem in many parts of China.

Because their is no specific treatment for COVID-10, testing rates are moot as long as enough people are social distancing anyway, especially anyone who is sick.

We are probably just now entering the steep part of the upslope and are in for a scary few weeks. Lots of people are going to get sick, hospitals will be overwhelmed, and some of those who die would not have if we had better surge capacity. After a few weeks of that, things will likely start to get better as quickly as they got bad.

There are a handful of sources that credibly buck the popular narrative. One of my favorites, and a good stating point is the blog at Enki Research.

Also google Jeffrey Epstein, and read this article.

pregnancywhine

Forum Crew Member
In this worldwide situation, we can clearly see how obedient and disciplined people are in following the government alongside the health workers in fighting Covid 19 virus. We can also see the impact of our lifestyle and how clean and healthy we are. Deeply praying that we gonna survive this pandemic.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
The Mayor has just ordered an emergency Stay at Home/Shelter In Place order for Oahu and a 14 day quarantine for travelers.

There's currently 56 confirmed cases in the State, 3 requiring hospitalization, no deaths
Any idea how long the order is for? I’m supposed to go end of June to Maui but if it’s still in effect then I will need to change plans, again :(