Considering

buttonz

Forum Ride Along
Hi,

I'm considering taking an EMT-B class in NYC. I'm a 25 year old female taking my nursing pre-reqs hoping to start nursing school in Spring 2011.

My ex is an EMT-P who turned around to me after one of his classes (he acutally happens to be a EMT-PI and was teaching and working down in Philly when this happened) and told me that I would make a great EMT and that I should consider taking an EMT class (of course, not one that he was teaching). I laughed in his face, saying I could never do it, as I happen to be squeamish. He told me that I'd get over it.

Fast forward 4 months later and I decided to go back to school for nursing and just deal with it. Over those four months he did everything he could to de-squeamish me (and he did a pretty good job at it). I have other friends who are EMT-B's as well who think I'll make a good EMT, and other people not in the medical field ask me if I ever considered it and if not, why not.

I'm considering taking an EMT-B class so I'd be able to work part time while in school, both my pre-reqs and while in nursing school. I care about people, I work well under pressure and I'm pretty sure that this is something I can see myself doing part time. I do have some back problems which is one of the reasons why I'd only consider it part time.

My ex doesn't know that I'm considering it, though it might be something I share with him in the coming weeks, and I know he'd push me to do it, as it's something he's already encouraged me to do. As a 15 year EMS worker, his opinion clearly means something to me, but I don't want to do it just because he thinks I'll make a god EMT...I'd kinda like some reassurance beforehand, although I know that's not possible. I've seen the PA require classwork of an EMT and I have to say...I wasn't super impressed, a lot of the stuff I know I wouldn't have a problem with.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I've never done a ride along but once I recover from ankle surgery I'll be doing at least one with one of my EMT-B friends. I'd be looking to take my NYS test and then follow up with National Registry, as I'm not sure if I'll be staying in NY or not for Nursing School. That's the other appeal to me of the job, not only is it in health care but assuming I pass National Registry I shouldn't have a problem getting certified wherever I wind up for nursing school (right now looking at PA and Texas as well as NY).

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Do the ride-along, and if after 12hrs you don't change your mind, take the class. At worst, you'll decide you don't like the medical field, and instead of wasting 2+ years in nursing school to figure that out, you'll figure it out in a couple of months.

At best, you'll fall in love with medicine and want to continue on, be it nursing, paramedic, PA, or higher.

Doesn't hurt to try :)

OP
OP
B

buttonz

Forum Ride Along
I can't see myself ever going for my medic, but...I think I've already fallen in love. Between what I know/seen, the people I've talked to and doing some volunteer hours at a local hospital (which I forgot to mention) I think I got the bug already LOL.

OP
OP
B

buttonz

Forum Ride Along
why not? EMT is an entry postion, not a stopping point.

don't limit yourself, if you think you are interested now(and you truly are), as an EMT-B you will yearn for more knowledge,

Probably because my goal in the end is my MSN and I'm looking at EMT as a way to get some experience in health care/work a bit while in school. I could see myself doing some volunteer EMS once I get my MSN but not full time. I've had people tell me if I don't plan to make it a career then I shouldn't think about medic scool.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
Probably because my goal in the end is my MSN and I'm looking at EMT as a way to get some experience in health care/work a bit while in school. I could see myself doing some volunteer EMS once I get my MSN but not full time. I've had people tell me if I don't plan to make it a career then I shouldn't think about medic scool.

haha. congratulations on your decision to pursue your MSN. I should of read your original post. Good luck to you, and let us know how your EMT course goes(I think you have already made your mind:p)

And, welcome to the forum

OP
OP
B

buttonz

Forum Ride Along
haha. congratulations on your decision to pursue your MSN. I should of read your original post. Good luck to you, and let us know how your EMT course goes(I think you have already made your mind:p)

And, welcome to the forum

Thanks. I'm nervous as anything (about getting into a good BSN program [I already have a BS but for many reasons am looking at a regular BSN program over an accelerated]).

I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it, I'm looking at a program that my friend did that is tough but good...I'm just nervous and kinda need that last little push I guess. And while my ex (EMT-P, 15 year EMS vet) can give it to me...I'd prefer to totally shock him if I do it once I pass.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
I like your enthusiasm and your view that being EMT is part of a larger picture leading to Nursing. Just know you can get sidetracked in the ambulance. I'm not making any judgments here, just offering you stuff to consider.

The job is intense and can take a lot out of you on psychic, emotional and even spiritual levels. The initial period of adjustment often requires a lot of energy. The stakes are high, and sometimes you lose.

It can be physically demanding. Part-time does not lessen your risk of hurting/re-hurting your back/ankle, it only limits your exposure.

It's seductive! You can do a lot of neat stuff a whole lot quicker than you can as an RN and you get to move around a lot and drive fast sometimes!

And, of course, nothing I mention will make a difference. If you hafta, you hafta, and my Blessings are with you whichever way chooses you!

OP
OP
B

buttonz

Forum Ride Along
I like your enthusiasm and your view that being EMT is part of a larger picture leading to Nursing. Just know you can get sidetracked in the ambulance. I'm not making any judgments here, just offering you stuff to consider.

The job is intense and can take a lot out of you on psychic, emotional and even spiritual levels. The initial period of adjustment often requires a lot of energy. The stakes are high, and sometimes you lose.

It can be physically demanding. Part-time does not lessen your risk of hurting/re-hurting your back/ankle, it only limits your exposure.

It's seductive! You can do a lot of neat stuff a whole lot quicker than you can as an RN and you get to move around a lot and drive fast sometimes!

And, of course, nothing I mention will make a difference. If you hafta, you hafta, and my Blessings are with you whichever way chooses you!

Thank you for this. I guess this was more of what I was looking for.

The physical part is something I've discussed with my doctor already (I happen to have a very good relationship with my ankle surgeon) and it's something he's worried about but he also knows that he's not going to stop me. And hopefully this will mean the end to my ankle pain (at least, the majority of it). As for my back issues...I very hardly have any flair ups (besides times like now when I'm on crutches and throwing myself totally off) and I'm not horribly worried about the back stuff, though I know I have to be careful. And that's what Thermacare Heatwraps are for as well lol.

The job in intense and I've seen my friends after a bad call. It's one of the reasons why I can't see myself doing it as a career, as I prefer something (like my RN) where I can be more involved in long term care rather then just the start of care but I'm hoping it will give me the experience and the knowledge of handing it and the how to disconnect. As much as I hate "work mode" as I call it, it's needed at times.

The seductive side and the stuff you can do that you can't as an RN is something that interests me and makes me more curious and likely to do it.

Medic

Forum Lieutenant
Remember the pain can be avoided with braces/supports,physio, stretching, posture the list goes on.

I can also relate to the part time story. My reasons are where im from you work for pea nuts, with all the risks Africa has to offer. Is it worth it? Yes but it wont become my life. More of a hobby if I can put it that way(please don't attack me for that comment). i do what i do and wont ask for a buck. A saying my AEA ir emt-I will say, "a extra pair of hands goes a long way." (some thing like that at least)

If you comfortable with it, go for it.

GOOD LUCK.

OP
OP
B

buttonz

Forum Ride Along
Remember the pain can be avoided with braces/supports,physio, stretching, posture the list goes on.

I can also relate to the part time story. My reasons are where im from you work for pea nuts, with all the risks Africa has to offer. Is it worth it? Yes but it wont become my life. More of a hobby if I can put it that way(please don't attack me for that comment). i do what i do and wont ask for a buck. A saying my AEA ir emt-I will say, "a extra pair of hands goes a long way." (some thing like that at least)

If you comfortable with it, go for it.

GOOD LUCK.

It makes total sense what you said and no, I won't attack you.

Yeah...I'm familiar with the whole braces, stretching etc routine. Its a way of life for some of us

Medic

Forum Lieutenant
Make sure you can handle the stresses, got a wake up call on sat. Not pretty.

John E

Forum Captain
If...

you have a physical condition which precludes you from working in an ambulance, look into other jobs where you can use your EMT training.

Consider getting phlebotomy training, makes you much more qualified to work in a hospital environment.

Get a teaching cert and teach basic first aid and CPR to corporate clients.

Do standby work if there's any available at events, concerts, etc.

Become a Set Medic like I did, make about 5 times per hour what a typical ambulance based EMT makes.

Don't fall into the same trap that so many do and assume that the only jobs out there involve working in the back of an ambulance.

John E

trevor1189

Forum Captain
Hi,

I'm considering taking an EMT-B class in NYC. I'm a 25 year old female taking my nursing pre-reqs hoping to start nursing school in Spring 2011.

My ex is an EMT-P who turned around to me after one of his classes (he acutally happens to be a EMT-PI and was teaching and working down in Philly when this happened) and told me that I would make a great EMT and that I should consider taking an EMT class (of course, not one that he was teaching). I laughed in his face, saying I could never do it, as I happen to be squeamish. He told me that I'd get over it.

Fast forward 4 months later and I decided to go back to school for nursing and just deal with it. Over those four months he did everything he could to de-squeamish me (and he did a pretty good job at it). I have other friends who are EMT-B's as well who think I'll make a good EMT, and other people not in the medical field ask me if I ever considered it and if not, why not.

I'm considering taking an EMT-B class so I'd be able to work part time while in school, both my pre-reqs and while in nursing school. I care about people, I work well under pressure and I'm pretty sure that this is something I can see myself doing part time. I do have some back problems which is one of the reasons why I'd only consider it part time.

My ex doesn't know that I'm considering it, though it might be something I share with him in the coming weeks, and I know he'd push me to do it, as it's something he's already encouraged me to do. As a 15 year EMS worker, his opinion clearly means something to me, but I don't want to do it just because he thinks I'll make a god EMT...I'd kinda like some reassurance beforehand, although I know that's not possible. I've seen the PA require classwork of an EMT and I have to say...I wasn't super impressed, a lot of the stuff I know I wouldn't have a problem with.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I've never done a ride along but once I recover from ankle surgery I'll be doing at least one with one of my EMT-B friends. I'd be looking to take my NYS test and then follow up with National Registry, as I'm not sure if I'll be staying in NY or not for Nursing School. That's the other appeal to me of the job, not only is it in health care but assuming I pass National Registry I shouldn't have a problem getting certified wherever I wind up for nursing school (right now looking at PA and Texas as well as NY).
Blood and guts has never been an issue for me, but when your worrying about the pt, I can tell you stuff like that doesn't really go thru your head.

For example, riding in the back of the ambulance I get very nauseous, with a pt. it has never been a problem.

If you have an interest in medicine & helping people for little or no money EMS is probably for you.

In all seriousness though, I love it. I would say go for it and see if you like it. If your like me you'll do your first ride along and know it's where you want be.

John E

Forum Captain
Great advice...

especially if you don't want to ever own a home, buy a car, raise a family, etc.

Earning potential is one of the most important things an individual HAS to do if they want to actually have a career.

The whole "do what you love and the money will follow" line of crap is just that, crap. It's usually perpetuated by people who are already making a decent living. When supervisors and company owners start in on that stuff, it's time to look elsewhere.

EMS can be a career, it doesn't have to be a hand to mouth experience.

John E

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
especially if you don't want to ever own a home, buy a car, raise a family, etc.

Earning potential is one of the most important things an individual HAS to do if they want to actually have a career.

The whole "do what you love and the money will follow" line of crap is just that, crap. It's usually perpetuated by people who are already making a decent living. When supervisors and company owners start in on that stuff, it's time to look elsewhere.

EMS can be a career, it doesn't have to be a hand to mouth experience.

John E

"I'd rather do nothing and be happy than do something I know I don't love."
-Jack Fuller, what happens in vegas

John E

Forum Captain
Uh yeah...

So you're basing your recommendations and advice on dialogue from a movie?

Ok, now we know your frame of reference.

John E