Considering Enlisting - HELP

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
I am an EMT-B and am considering military enlistment. I really want to join so I can get training and experience in the field(s) I will be employed in as a civilian for the rest of my life as well as serve my country and take care of the soldiers.

I would like a job in

-FireFighting
-Emergency Medicine (Preferably field, hospital/clinic would be okay..)
-SAR

I am currently in talks with NAVY but nothing is on legal paper yet.

I dont think I would have a problem qualifying for these jobs on the ASVAB, especially if I study some. So assuming I qualify for everything I want... Whats next? I would prefer reservist, but would go active too.

I have looked at the Navy AB-7012 and HM-8401. They are only 2 ratings, and specific ones. What are the chances of getting them and what else should I look at/hope for?

What about in the other branches?

The only thing stopping me from signing up today is I dont want to get put in a job I am going to hate for 4-8 years.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I am an EMT-B and am considering military enlistment. I really want to join so I can get training and experience in the field(s) I will be employed in as a civilian for the rest of my life as well as serve my country and take care of the soldiers.

I would like a job in

-FireFighting
-Emergency Medicine (Preferably field, hospital/clinic would be okay..)
-SAR

What about in the other branches?

USAF: Pararescue which is a combat search and rescuer medic for the USAF. They go behind enemy lines to find downed pilots, other service members. Ever watch the show "Inside Combat Rescue" That is this job.

USAF: Fire Protection. Basically paid firefighters for the personnel on the base. They respond to all types of calls.

NAVY: Corpsman. Either hospital medic or a field medic which deploys with USMC detachments.

ARMY: Medic. Paramedic in the field or hospital setting.

ARMY: Firefighter. Pretty much base firefighters. Same as USAF but for the ARMY.

USMC: Im not 100% sure but I do believe they have a ARFF (aircraft rescue fire fighting) job.

USCG: Aviation Survival Technician. I do believe they are only EMT's but they are the ones that go on SAR missions on the helicopters. If you have ever seen the movie the Guardian this is that job.

I have a couple friends that are corpsman and they like the job. Also have another friend who I believe is a nurse or medic (ARMY)... can't remember but anyway she likes her job as well. My advice go to all recruiters and see what they have to offer. Also I'm not nor have I been in the military. I got this info from friends and the websites. Thank you for wanting to serve our country best of luck!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
USAF: Pararescue which is a combat search and rescuer medic for the USAF. They go behind enemy lines to find downed pilots, other service members. Ever watch the show "Inside Combat Rescue" That is this job.

USAF: Fire Protection. Basically paid firefighters for the personnel on the base. They respond to all types of calls.

NAVY: Corpsman. Either hospital medic or a field medic which deploys with USMC detachments.

ARMY: Firefighter. Pretty much base firefighters. Same as USAF but for the ARMY.

USMC: Im not 100% sure but I do believe they have a ARFF (aircraft rescue fire fighting) job.

USCG: Aviation Survival Technician. I do believe they are only EMT's but they are the ones that go on SAR missions on the helicopters. If you have ever seen the movie the Guardian this is that job.

I have a couple friends that are corpsman and they like the job. Also have another friend who I believe is a nurse or medic (ARMY)... can't remember but anyway she likes her job as well. My advice go to all recruiters and see what they have to offer. Also I'm not nor have I been in the military. I got this info from friends and the websites. Thank you for wanting to serve our country best of luck!

I may be mistaken but I believe the Army medics (68W) are EMTs with some extra skills added but are not paramedics.

OP
OP
NPO

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks, it seems like Corpsman is the way to go.

I tried Fire Protection with USAF a little while ago and they said there was no chance because they are going civilian. A few month later a guy I know got accepted to Fire Protection.. so...

Anyway.. I might go Corpsman. I dont know if I could meet the cut for PJ or CG rescue, because I believe those are held on the same levels as the elite forces. But maybe once I get in and they kick my *** into shape I can move over.

I may be mistaken but I believe the Army medics (68W) are EMTs with some extra skills added but are not paramedics.

Correct, from my research.

If you have NREMT-B (Which I just found out, I still do. Thought it had lapsed) you can skip the EMT training, then you go to their combat medicine school, Combat Lifesaver.

Last edited by a moderator:

CALEMT

I tried Fire Protection with USAF a little while ago and they said there was no chance because they are going civilian. A few month later a guy I know got accepted to Fire Protection.. so...

Anyway.. I might go Corpsman. I dont know if I could meet the cut for PJ or CG rescue, because I believe those are held on the same levels as the elite forces. But maybe once I get in and they kick my *** into shape I can move over.

If you have NREMT-B (Which I just found out, I still do. Thought it had lapsed) you can skip the EMT training, then you go to their combat medicine school, Combat Lifesaver.

PJ and CG are elite forces and interesting about 68W I always thought they were medics. Anyway Corpsman is a cool job you can either be on the "green side" with the marines or on the "blue side" in the hospital. From what my friend has told me being on the green side requires a little more training if I remember correctly its real heavy in skills (as it should be) and maybe tactics and some infantry training.

OP
OP
NPO

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
From what my friend has told me being on the green side requires a little more training if I remember correctly its real heavy in skills (as it should be) and maybe tactics and some infantry training.

Correct. You get sent to Field Medical Service School (FMSS) if you are attached to the Marines.

I wouldnt say no to that... and from what I am hearing, most Male Corpsman get sent that route.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Very long and very difficult accessions path with no guarantee of success and little future aside from occasional deployments. As manned aircraft become less common in a deployed setting, the use and utility of PJs will focus more towards traditional air-evac, with an attendant change in mission and staffing. Fun, but I would definitely hesitate to make this a career. One injury and you're on a permanent profile or reclassed.

Budget cuts.

Better choice- Navy corpmen will never go away. However, the clinical freedom and experience you get will definitely vary with your individual assignment. You could end up with the FMF Marines for four years- or you could end up on a ship...or changing bedpans in a hospital. Still, your pay won't suck, you are literally racing yourself for promotion and you are going to earn great benefits. You may see the world and stuff, but that comes with its own pros and cons.

More like medical assistant, even in an infantry unit. Your effective scope of practice stateside is pretty much defined at IV NS with orders, unless you're on an FTX or in a unit where sick call can hand out Tylenol without a scrip (but that's not common). Most of the time, you are going to be doing busywork or non-medical stuff, creatively doing nothing, "training" with canned scenarios that you will hopefully never see, and perhaps seeing NVD/ABD Pain/Fever/Cough for sick call. with a fair helping of ortho injuries in some units. A select few medics may be ER techs in hospitals, but you're limited to 12-lead, IV, phlebotomy, etc. Even as a deployed medic, unless your luck blows, you're looking at a whole lot of waiting and a very little bit of anything else. Not bad, but basically a creative and well-compensated waste of time.

A dying breed- most Army posts use DOD civilian firefighters. Army firefighters are being trimmed out of the force at most places, slots were locked out when I looked into it. Once again, lots of wasting time and training for very, very, very little work.

See above- they do, but slots are few and the Marines have better places to put new Marines. That being said, if you want to see the "professional" military, the Marines are the way to go. If I was going to make the military a career, I'd go Marines in a heartbeat. They're a lot more...serious, I suppose, than the Army.

Sort of. The CG has a health technician-type dude who is actually that job, the rescue swimmers are his aides IIRC. That being said, although brave, the rescue swimmers are totally crazy insane awesome, with all that that entails. CG isn't a bad option, but yeah...tough shot.

Mine are in bold.

Last edited by a moderator:

RocketMedic

San Antonio is a joint base- AF, Navy and Army all have the same initial medical training for enlisted medics and the officer medics, with different Navy and AF advanced schools. Army medics go to 16 weeks of AIT, but EMTs skip the first 9 weeks and do "whiskey phase".

RocketMedic

The only Army paramedics who earn their certification through the Army are flight paramedics and the 18D Special Forces Sergeant/Medics.

CALEMT

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
The only Army paramedics who earn their certification through the Army are flight paramedics and the 18D Special Forces Sergeant/Medics.

What's the process of attaining the Flight qualifier? Does it require a certain amount of time as a baseline whiskey?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Typical 68W is actually around AEMT level. They can intubate, IV, IO, push different drugs etc

Heck even Combat Life Saver (which everyone in the Army gets now and the last CLS course I went through 2 months ago was less than a week long) can do IV and chest needle decompression.

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
I just spotted this thread and wanted to say that if you want to look at Pararescue, specialtactics.com is a forum with all the info you could possibly want.
That's actually the route I want to go, but I am no where close to being in the conditioning I need and want to be in for it, so..
Rocket, as far as my knowledge, is pretty spot on in his account. Most of the ones I've talked to are on TDYs or training assignments for 80% plus of the year. I spoke to one that's been in for 17 years and he hasn't even seen combat, only civvie rescues. Humanitarian missions in places like the Phillipines, Africa and other similar places are supposed to be common, along with national disaster response. They do open sea rescues like the CG, but only beyond the 200 mile mark, since their helos are air refuelable and the CGs apparently aren't.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

False. 68W school is different from CLS. CLS is for all members of the military. Combat Medic school is 6 weeks on top of the 10 week NREMT-B class they put you through.

There's also no promises in fast tracking through school. I'm working with a recruiter to get into a MEDEVAC unit here and even as a NREMT-P with street time both as a P and an I I've repeatedly been told I may have to sit through the whole course if there isn't a unit for me to fast-track into.

PJs are part of the SOF family. If you get a chance watch "Surviving the Cut". It doesn't show you everything but it'll give you a solid idea of what Indoc will be like for PJ/CCT (combat controller) school. The numbers I've heard thrown around as far as attrition are in the 90%+ range to make it through the entire training program and to be assigned to a PJ unit.

Combat Rescue shows part of their job, MEDEVAC, but their real purpose is CSAR. With that said, it's an awesome show!

RocketMedic

Not fast tracking isnt the end of the world.

RocketMedic

What's the process of attaining the Flight qualifier? Does it require a certain amount of time as a baseline whiskey?

Generally yes, but reserve units can go straight to flight medic school. For the active side, those slots are generally filled from accessions from FORCECOM units, with rare exceptions for TRADOC.

Also, do not go M6. Thats an LPN. Eww.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief

Yes, you must be currently a 68w, most units require at least 2 years in that MOS with minimum 18 months left in contract after you complete all training. (This is typical but not always the case) if you are already a paramedic it is easier to get a slot, but not required, they will send you to a 26 week paramedic course than a 8 week advanced course to talk about aviation medicine. Also you will have you clinical time and have to do a 3 week course I believe to get your flight status at Ft Rucker. This is a newer program to the Army, they are trying to get all Flight Medics to the paramedic level with a new ASI of F3.

http://www.cs.amedd.army.mil/Portlet.aspx?ID=5f265d34-9d80-42a7-b296-bdbe88c1fe24

That is a link for all information regarding the the Flight Medic Program, PM me if you have specific questions.

Ace 227

Forum Lieutenant
As has been said, 68W is a glorified medical assistant. You can do IVs, meds, etc but unless you're deployed don't expect to do anything other than look at rashes and simple cuts/bruises. If you're deployed and doing medical things every day than it sucks to be you. I'd rather spend 12 months playing infantry than working as a medic.

CLS is hardly an "AEMT". They don't know :censored::censored::censored::censored: unless they were previously an EMT. Most 68Ws hardly even count as AEMTs.

OP
OP
NPO

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Took the asvab today and meet the requirements for HM. back to my recruiter tomorrow.

medicgrimm

Forum Probie
Heya how'd things go did you end up enlisting I thought about doing hm or 68w but they've given me the chase and so I've already started medic school and in the process of a couple jobs cause I will not wait for them