Company Issued Drug Bags

CentralCalEMT

Forum Captain
Recently, my company started issuing all the paramedics their own gear. They had always issued us our own portable radio and narcotics which we keep in a personal safe at the station. Recently, they gave us each our own ALS jump bag which contains all our medications, our intubation kit, trauma supplies and IV kit. We lock our bags in an oversize personal locker when we leave. Each paramedic is responsible for restocking his or her own bag and making sure it is ready for your next shift before you leave. The idea is it keeps each paramedic accountable and if something is missing from the bag or expired you only have yourself to blame. Personally, I like this set up as it streamlines the process of logging on because we do not have to spend time making sure we have a working portable radio, and checking out the jump bag. Does anyone else work for a company who issues personal ALS gear to the paramedics?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I really wish we did this. At the start of shift we spend about 20 minutes going through all of our gear to make sure it's all there and working. It's a pain in the ***

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
That sounds nice, but also expensive. I do not like having to go through the bags everyday but since I cannot trust one of the off going shifts in the slightest, it still happens.

We have a smaller bag in the house bag with all the meds, I think I am going to start tagging it after I inspect it since it does not get used all that often.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
hmm, if your agency has 5 ambulances, that means they need to pay and stock 5 sets of ALS equipment. Maybe 10, including spares, backups, whatever. Assuming 4 shifts, that means you need at least 20 sets of ALS equipment, to account for one full set of gear for every FT paramedic. That doesn't include any spares, part time medics,

nice idea, just overly expensive when compared to each vehicle having gear.

OP
OP
C

CentralCalEMT

Forum Captain
hmm, if your agency has 5 ambulances, that means they need to pay and stock 5 sets of ALS equipment. Maybe 10, including spares, backups, whatever. Assuming 4 shifts, that means you need at least 20 sets of ALS equipment, to account for one full set of gear for every FT paramedic. That doesn't include any spares, part time medics,

nice idea, just overly expensive when compared to each vehicle having gear.

I was honestly surprised the company did that, because all ambulance companies try and reduce cost. I believe it was mainly to increase accountability because things would go missing then the blame game would start. The cardiac monitors, O2 bags, etc are still assigned to the rigs.