Communication with patients

daenerys

Forum Probie
Hi everyone. So I'm an EMT in training and we talking a lot about communication with our patients. One of the first things they tell us is to always use proper titles: Mr., Mrs., sir, ma'am, etc. I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this. Do you call patients by their first names or their proper titles? Obviously this would vary greatly from patient to patient but I just want to hear a little real world guidance. Thank you!

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Talk to them like they're people. Address them how you normally would (assuming you're normally respectful...) in public. I just use whatever seems appropriate. Sometimes it's Ms/Mr first name, other times its Ms/Mr last name, and still others its just first name. It's nothing to stress over, just don't be disrespectful or an ***.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
In Delaware, a proper respectful way to address an older person is "miss Debbie" or "mister bill". I found it uncomfortable at first, now it's second nature. Sir or ma'am is never wrong. If they tell me to call them by their first name, I do. Respect goes a long way. I ALWAYS introduce myself to my patients. "Hi, I'm First and last name, one of the county paramedics. What's going on today?" They almost always tell me their name, what's wrongs and I get to shake their hand and feel their skin. I can also see if they're tracking me and able to answer a question. That first few seconds can tell you a lot.

Just talk to people like a normal person. Ask about what they do (or did) for a living, their house, the neighborhood, their dog, their kids... You have something in common with every patient. I guarantee it.

Last edited by a moderator:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Pretty much Sir/Ma'am. Have of the patients we get I can't pronounce their last name.

A lot of Medics and EMTs here (myself included) just go by first name. I've yet to have a patient have an issue with that.

When I first started I tried to call everyone Mr/Mrs/Ms followed by their last name. That was soon ended when I kept getting patients saying "Mr. Doe is my dad, I'm Jim".

OP
OP
D

daenerys

Forum Probie
Obviously I know how to treat a person decently and with respect. But EMT/patient communication seems more delicate, because the patient has to be comfortable enough to share sensitive medical information. It's a new dynamic for me.

They just emphasize communication so much in class, so now I'm worried about it, when I was never worried about it before! I suppose I should just trust my instincts.

Anyone have any experiences where the patient felt uncomfortable by the way you addressed them?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Never once had anyone voice being uncomfortable. Sometimes they'll suggest "Oh, call me XYZ". I have seen patients not like providers, but often it's because the provider was being an ***- not because they addressed them by an unpreferred name.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I kept calling a patient "Benny" til he said, "that's my dogs name". I guess I misunderstood his wife. He laughed, but wasn't uncomfortable.

During my assessments, I have been known to ask the most uncomfortable questions and nobody ever hesitates when they answer.

Again, just be yourself.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I worked with inmates and I always called them sir, ms, or Mr or MS "so and such" if I knew their last names. And I always referred to the officers as "deputy".

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
I start with Sir or ma'am. Introduce myself and ask the patient to confirm their identity (if its a transfer) or what their name is. But dont do it like a robot. They are a person. Some patients will tell you not to call them sir, ma'am, mr. or Mrs. Honor the request.

And my BIGGEST pet peeve is EMTs talking to patients like they are doctors. We all like to use medical jargan but ot doesn't make the patient any more comfortable. They dont care how much you know, they want to know how much you care.

Dont say "I'm going to put some leads on you." They dont know what leads are. Try "I'm going to put some wires on your chest to monitor your heart."

Instead of "Do you have hypertension or any cardiac history?" Give this a try "Have you ever been told by a doctor that you have high blood pressure or any heart problems?"

It just makes it more personal and thats how I'd want someone to talk to me.

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
Talk to them like they're people. Address them how you normally would (assuming you're normally respectful...) in public. I just use whatever seems appropriate. Sometimes it's Ms/Mr first name, other times its Ms/Mr last name, and still others its just first name. It's nothing to stress over, just don't be disrespectful or an ***.

This is what I do. Also, sometimes I ask. Many people go by nicknames or their middle names.

mycrofft

I start with Sir or ma'am. Introduce myself and ask the patient to confirm their identity (if its a transfer) or what their name is. But dont do it like a robot. They are a person. Some patients will tell you not to call them sir, ma'am, mr. or Mrs. Honor the request.

And my BIGGEST pet peeve is EMTs talking to patients like they are doctors. We all like to use medical jargan but ot doesn't make the patient any more comfortable. They dont care how much you know, they want to know how much you care.

Dont say "I'm going to put some leads on you." They dont know what leads are. Try "I'm going to put some wires on your chest to monitor your heart."

Instead of "Do you have hypertension or any cardiac history?" Give this a try "Have you ever been told by a doctor that you have high blood pressure or any heart problems?"

+1 X infinity

mycrofft

That is hilarious :rofl:

Good tips, guys, thanks. The main message seems to be: just act normal. Haha ^_^

"Acting" normal is right. After a few months in street EMS, or Fire, your "normal" tends to ge a little, shall we say, skewed?

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
In Delaware, a proper respectful way to address an older person is "miss Debbie" or "mister bill". I found it uncomfortable at first, now it's second nature. Sir or ma'am is never wrong. If they tell me to call them by their first name, I do. Respect goes a long way. I ALWAYS introduce myself to my patients. "Hi, I'm First and last name, one of the county paramedics. What's going on today?" They almost always tell me their name, what's wrongs and I get to shake their hand and feel their skin. I can also see if they're tracking me and able to answer a question. That first few seconds can tell you a lot.

Just talk to people like a normal person. Ask about what they do (or did) for a living, their house, the neighborhood, their dog, their kids... You have something in common with every patient. I guarantee it.

HI First And Last Name one of the county Paramedics. :lol:

Funny story my step daughter calls me "Mr. Chris" it was one of those things she picked up at school cause all the teachers are Mr. Joe or Miss Peggy or whatever. I told her she doesn't have to do that but its just been going on for so long that it stuck.. So now we address each other like that She calls me Mr. Chris I call her Miss Alexa.

This x 1000, Most people especially the ones that have never dealt with anything with a Ambulance are scared. They have no idea whats going on and a little bit of explanation goes along way, Don't talk down to them like they are incompetent blithering idiot, but explain to them what you are doing in simple terms.

I usually start by addressing my patients with "Good Morning" or Good Evening" tell them who I am and start talking to them. If you really show some concern and respect it goes a along way to getting a solid Exam and interview. One of my "benefits" as been told by my coworkers is that I don't show paranoia or fear when I'm managing a critical patient. If you look paranoid or scared its really going to freak them out.

Fire51

Forum Lieutenant
That is hilarious :rofl:

Good tips, guys, thanks. The main message seems to be: just act normal. Haha ^_^

Yes you've got it be yourself and be respectful. Like people have said if you are calling someone by a name they don't want to be called, they will tell you. Communication with your patients is very important and people get good at it after a while of doing it.

mycrofft

An underestimated part of commo is your appearance and body language. A strak uniform, including shoes, good hair and a concerned demeanor can do wonders.

There are some body language no-no's, like walking over any part of a pt, or looming over someone on a litter, or leaning on their bed or litter, handling their stuff, etc. Imagine someone coming in and doing that to you.

AND there are many regional or cultural aspects to these. Such as wearing headgear indoors, touching people's children, addressing their female relatives, too much or too little eye contact.

Lorianne2010

Forum Probie
I work in on a bus and in an ED so I come in contact with a lot of Pt's.....Upon first contact I ask them how they would like to be addressed. Most want to be addressed by their first names ....You also cannot go wrong with sir or ma'am.....Good luck in your career