College Student Looking for Career Advice...(EMT-P vs. RN)

purdue1014

Forum Crew Member
Hi All,

I am a Sophomore Business Management major looking for some career advice...

Based on a interest I have had for a number of years now, this past summer I took and successfully completed an EMT-B course at my local community college. For the clinical portion in my class, I got 40 hours in a level 1 trauma center, and absolutely LOVED it. My experience this summer has seriously got me to consider perusing the emergency medicine field after I complete my management degree.

My question to you guys is that I am getting fairly caught up in choosing between the Medic vs. RN route...(Please do not let this turn into one of "those" threads, and for now, let's say med school is off the table, and for discussions sake, let's say that I am only interested in becoming a ER RN...)
Is there any sort of niche market or advantage across the emergency medicine field for someone being both a EMT-P and a RN?

Based on my very limited experience of 40 hours in a ER and 12 hours riding with the local metro FD, both are appealing to me, so I am curious if you guys can provide any potential insight into either profession.

I do plan to continue riding with the FD and I have applied for a volunteer position in the local trauma centers to try and feel both sides out more, but I am wondering if you guys could add any advice to someone thinking about becoming a EMT-P or RN...

I appreciate your thoughts...

Thanks,

Purdue

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
If you want a career in fire, then do the medic. Otherwise, do the RN, as that will afford you much versatility and give you many more options than a P-card. In some states, you can challenge the medic w/ an RN degree. As far as RN positions for both ground and air txp, the RN's can receive additional training and then function as such. The medic cannot do the same to fill the RN's role, though.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Given my own experiences, I'd have to say, if both paths are open to you, go down the RN route. You'll have a wider range of career options than a Paramedic currently has. If you later decide you want to get into being a Paramedic, you can fairly easily branch out to that area, once you've gotten your RN License. You might have to take the NREMT-P written/skills and do an internship, but it would be a faster route to Paramedic (from not having a P card) than sitting through the classes and the like and then going back later to get the RN.

hurt88

Forum Crew Member
In my EMT-B couse our instructor told us just recently that if we want big bucks then to go into the RN program and that our EMT-B course would be the perfect beginner course for it.

With that said he loves his job as a Paramedic and the different things he encounters each and every day. So to me I think its just going to really be your own personal choice on what you want to do.

You will get more money as an RN but I think you will have more variety as a Paramedic. I've been between both myself too but decided to go with the Paramedic program for now untill I get done with my EMT-B class and see how I like it once I'm actually out in the field doing my job.

RUGBY66X

Forum Probie
I would say if you have to choose one or the other than go RN. We have a 2 year wait list for nursing school here so i knocked out my basic and am about half way done with my medic and ive got about a year left on the wait list. I decided to go into ems as a way to kill time and supplement my medical knowledge and ended up really liking it and think if i have enough time i might go to the fire academy in the summer and work as both an RN and Fire/medic so i get the best of both worlds. What ever you decide to choose good luck and hopefully that bachelors in business management will help you land a nice cozy desk job at the hospital when your too old or burnt out to work the floor or the road anymore.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I am a paramedic and an RN. I've worked in EMS for 15 years, but only stood 3 years in the hospital. I found it to be excruciating to work in a female-dominated environment, with snipping and backbiting, and nurses "eating their young." I also found the job to be kind of monotonous, but I was working in critical care, and so many of our patients survived through the "miracle" of modern medicine only to need a 6 month vent wean before they went to the nursing home for the rest of their lives. It was tiresome.

That said, I think now that I'm more mature, have my priorities off of "fun" and onto "going to work is about providing for the family" I would do a much better job. At that time, I itched every time I looked out the window at the medics going off to do another call.

I enjoy having the RN as a backup. I call it life insurance, in case my husband is ever injured or sick and can't work. With the license and a couple of years of experience, you can get decent pay, a regular, predictable schedule, and decent hours in under a month of job searching if you aren't picky about the setting you're working in.

The job of an RN is more complex than it looks...nurses are part of the patient's safety net, and a good nurse is a thinking nurse, and that makes the day more interesting. As a nurse, you can do many, many jobs. Administration is more open to the regular person, education is more organized and there's a different way to challenge yourself, and there are a myriad of little supervisor-type nurses in each unit.

All that said, my heart is still in EMS, for whatever that's worth. I love the freedom of driving around on a pretty day, the satisfaction of a difficult situation handled well, and now especially, leading new medics through the process of getting proficient as a provider.

If you're at all torn, I'd say get your RN first, then your medic and be super flexible. If you have any aspirations for flight nursing/medicing, that's the one place other than EMS education where I see that the RN/EMT-P combo is more useful than anything else.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
In my EMT-B couse our instructor told us just recently that if we want big bucks then to go into the RN program and that our EMT-B course would be the perfect beginner course for it.

I do not agree.

The EMT course offers nothing that would benefit you in any other healthcare profession.

iftmedic

Forum Lieutenant
I was at the crossroads back in 2002, I went the Paramedic route, I have to work two jobs just to make ends meet, needless to say I'm working privates and obviously that's no diffrent than working a security job, if you go fire or third service municipal or county Job then your paramedic is worth it.
RN you have way more options and great pay, you could be ER nurse, flight nurse, cct nurse on an ambulance, the list goes on, as Paramedic here in SoCal your lucky if you get 14 dollars an hour, a buddy of mine is working for a company that is paying him EMT B wages until he has a year experience as a medic, but he works as medic and the company obviously makes their money billing for ALS but the Guy doesn't even get his measly 13 dollars an hour. talk about exploitation.
Definitely get your RN, don't allow these sleezy ambulance companies take advantage of individuals who enter the ems profession to help people, just to realize you need to go on welfare. Being a hero wont pay your bills.

Last edited by a moderator:

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
I have to diagree with you veneficus. I think my pre hospital EMS education has been very beneficial and directly related to my success as an ER tech over the last six years. And I believe wholeheartedly that if I were to pursue my RN I know at least in the ER setting that all of my EMS education including my basic class would be a great benifit. Are you sure you want to make such a blanket statement and if you do then can you elaborate on why you feel this way? know several healthcare professionals at all levels from techs to MD's that consider their early EMT training the foundation of their careers. This could be an ER only thing but I'm interested to see where your coming from.

8jimi8

CFRN
I must also say that I feel that an EMT-b should be the beginning of any nursing curriculum. Go RN first. Would you rather make 11/hr while you go to nursing school, or make 30/hr while you finish up that medic? Austin community college currently has no wait list.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I was at the crossroads back in 2002, I went the Paramedic route, I have to work two jobs just to make ends meet, needless to say I'm working privates and obviously that's no diffrent than working a security job, if you go fire or third service municipal or county Job then your paramedic is worth it.
RN you have way more options and great pay, you could be ER nurse, flight nurse, cct nurse on an ambulance, the list goes on, as Paramedic here in SoCal your lucky if you get 14 dollars an hour, a buddy of mine is working for a company that is paying him EMT B wages until he has a year experience as a medic, but he works as medic and the company obviously makes their money billing for ALS but the Guy doesn't even get his measly 13 dollars an hour. talk about exploitation.
Definitely get your RN, don't allow these sleezy ambulance companies take advantage of individuals who enter the ems profession to help people, just to realize you need to go on welfare. Being a hero wont pay your bills.

On another thread, we were discussing the paramedic's education and how it relates to scope of practice. Regarding IFT, medics don't really enjoy much in the way of scope and autonomy when compared to nurses. Some CC Medics can titrate proprofol or tridil, run a balloon pump job w/ only another medic, but that's about it. The medic is a jack of all trades, with the education to match. RN's do much more, since they have the educational base to specialize. The CCRN, the NICU or PICU nurse can do "real" IFT in their respective niche.

If one wants to be mainly an IFT medic, then I say do it as an RN/BSN working out of a unit. Perform a similar function (plus in hospital care) for double or triple the pay.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I must also say that I feel that an EMT-b should be the beginning of any nursing curriculum. Go RN first. Would you rather make 11/hr while you go to nursing school, or make 30/hr while you finish up that medic? Austin community college currently has no wait list.

No wait?

Darn... too bad I just got a new job :huh:

Oh well, I've been looking more in to RT anyhow.

EMSrush

Forum Captain
If you want a career in fire, then do the medic. Otherwise, do the RN, as that will afford you much versatility...

As an RN, you will be able to afford much more than just versatility.... :p

8jimi8

CFRN
No wait?

Darn... too bad I just got a new job :huh:

Oh well, I've been looking more in to RT anyhow.
I would be wholly unsatisfied as an RT. Then again, task based vs person based work has it's value. No being stuck w lame patients while exciting stuff is happening elsewhere! Where are ya working now?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Eh, but my idea with the RT is to be a CCT Medic /RT possibly doing flight. I mean, the medics job on HEMS IS the airway, so why not make myself look better?

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I have to diagree with you veneficus. I think my pre hospital EMS education has been very beneficial and directly related to my success as an ER tech over the last six years. And I believe wholeheartedly that if I were to pursue my RN I know at least in the ER setting that all of my EMS education including my basic class would be a great benifit. Are you sure you want to make such a blanket statement and if you do then can you elaborate on why you feel this way? know several healthcare professionals at all levels from techs to MD's that consider their early EMT training the foundation of their careers. This could be an ER only thing but I'm interested to see where your coming from.

I am not suggesting being an EMT for some length of time doesn't help, but the handful of noninvasive skills learned in emt class is of no benefit from an academic standpoint.

Additionally, one of the the things I had to cope with throughout my steadily advancing education is relearning oversimplified concepts that I thought I "knew."

OP
OP
P

purdue1014

Forum Crew Member
Hi Guys,

Sorry for the late reply, I had a busy week at school and all with Thanksgiving break next week...

Thanks for all your thoughts and advice, I do appreciate it. It sounds like more or less the opinion is to (do what I like the most...) but to get the BSN, first. To be honest, (I did not mention this at first, as I did not want to bias your thoughts...And this is just based on my experiences for 40 hours in one ER and 1 12 hour ride along) my initial impression is that I like the hospital side of things more. However, I definitely will continue my ride along's and volunteering in the ER so I can get a more thorough opinion of both settings prior to making any decisions.

Also, thanks for the ideas on flight medic/nurse...I will look into that as well...

Finally, do you guys have any opinions on "accelerated" BSN programs? I.e., a 12 month/3 semester program, that has two semesters of the standard prereq courses that one completes on their own, prior to entry...Good/bad/ugly?

Thanks again for your thoughts...

Cheers,

Purdue

Aerin-Sol

Forum Captain
Hi Guys,

Sorry for the late reply, I had a busy week at school and all with Thanksgiving break next week...

Thanks for all your thoughts and advice, I do appreciate it. It sounds like more or less the opinion is to (do what I like the most...) but to get the BSN, first. To be honest, (I did not mention this at first, as I did not want to bias your thoughts...And this is just based on my experiences for 40 hours in one ER and 1 12 hour ride along) my initial impression is that I like the hospital side of things more. However, I definitely will continue my ride along's and volunteering in the ER so I can get a more thorough opinion of both settings prior to making any decisions.

Also, thanks for the ideas on flight medic/nurse...I will look into that as well...

Finally, do you guys have any opinions on "accelerated" BSN programs? I.e., a 12 month/3 semester program, that has two semesters of the standard prereq courses that one completes on their own, prior to entry...Good/bad/ugly?

Thanks again for your thoughts...

Cheers,
Purdue

Have you considered getting an ASN at Ivy Tech and then working at a hospital with tuition reimbursement while getting a BSN through Purdue? Good call on going for nursing though! Since you're not going to be starting your nursing program no matter which option you choose, I would recommend doing more ambulance & ER time - I know that one of the hospitals there will hire you as an ER Tech with an EMT-B.

OP
OP
P

purdue1014

Forum Crew Member
Have you considered getting an ASN at Ivy Tech and then working at a hospital with tuition reimbursement while getting a BSN through Purdue? Good call on going for nursing though! Since you're not going to be starting your nursing program no matter which option you choose, I would recommend doing more ambulance & ER time - I know that one of the hospitals there will hire you as an ER Tech with an EMT-B.

Thanks for the idea...I will definitely look into the tuition reimbursement idea...Is that common for most hospitals?

Also, my name is a bit of a misnomer:) but I actually attend a major university in St. Louis, MO...Thanks for the thought, though, I will definitely look into that...

On a completely unrelated note, how long is the average medic school? From what I've seen, it seems like 6 months of class everyday, and then 6 months of ride time? How far off am I? Just curious...

Thanks,

Purdue

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
I am not suggesting being an EMT for some length of time doesn't help, but the handful of noninvasive skills learned in emt class is of no benefit from an academic standpoint.

Additionally, one of the the things I had to cope with throughout my steadily advancing education is relearning oversimplified concepts that I thought I "knew."

I think there is one essential variable missing from your equation, the individual. It seems your assumptions are that an EMT learns just enough to pass test and to just get by with what the curriculum has to offer. There are individuals like that to be sure and they are content with status quo. The above example would prove your assertion, however, there is another type of individual to consider; the one who strives for excellence. To go beyond the textbook, classroom, and to supplement their skill set with additional reading. Many continue on with academic progress in pursuit of betterment. Your perceptions seem to be somewhat narrow in scope as there is a bigger picture.

Peace :)