College EMS

EMERG2011

Forum Crew Member
Hey Everyone. I'm a new EMT-B (just got the card in the mail today), and I'm starting off on my college EMS service this coming fall. Do yall have any advice as to what to expect, or any "god I wished I had known..."s to share?

Thanks!

jazminestar

Forum Crew Member
Go to the gym or keep going if you already do.......i wish my teacher would have told me that while attending emt school....i took a month and half off and it kicked my *** when i had to get back into the groove :) not sure if that's what you were looking for but it's definetly something i wish i knew before i went full steam ahead :)

good luck!!

firecoins

IFT Puppet
get used to dealing with drunk college kids most of the time. Whatever you do, don't get vomited on.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
dont get burned out doing the same bs call over and over and over and over.

dont go and blow hundreds of dollars on cheap crap from galls. one, it will make you look like a fool and two, it will be a waste of money.

when you get toned for a call: slow down, breath deeply a few times and remember: its not your emergency

RailFan77

Forum Crew Member
One bit of advice is not to let your emotions get to you. What I've learned over the years is this:
1) Don't take anything personally. While some patients are glad you're there to help, there are others that will say things that are outright nasty and worse.
2) Don't get emotional. Don't let any call "get to you" personally. Best way to stay sane in EMS is to realize that you're there to do a job and no matter what you see, no matter how troubling the call, it's just a job. I did that and have been fine for years. But if a call does bother you personally....talk to someone....Don't bottle it up.

and on a not-so-serious note:
3) Always eat the french fries first when you order lunch....Cause they taste terrible if you have to reheat them.

Good Luck.

MaineEMTb

Forum Ride Along
and on a not-so-serious note:
3) Always eat the french fries first when you order lunch....Cause they taste terrible if you have to reheat them.

Good Luck.

Not serious but great advice! I will remember that one for sure!

ILemt

Forum Lieutenant
Don't use test pages as an excuse to get out of class ESPECIALLY during an exam.:D

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain

traumateam1

Forum Asst. Chief
RailFan77 said:
Lol.. I always do that :D. I absoluetly hate reheated frys.. and all my friends laugh at me for ALWAYS eating the frys first.
Back to a more serious note. Congratulations. Welcome to the world of EMS. The only advice I can think of right now (really really tired!) has already been mentioned but I will say it again. When you get a call. Slow down.. take some deep breaths and just try to relax.
Anyways it's off to bed for me! Congratulations again!

wwrescueEMT

Forum Probie
The best advice I can give you is this:
Remember that you're going to college for school, not for rescue. This is a mistake that several college EMTs on my department, including myself, have made. We end up staying up all night running calls because it's just so exciting, and then running all of the time because it really is fun and interesting....but as a direct result, our grades suffered...badly. For real, we were putting in about 80+ hours a week (volunteer dept, we weren't always doing stuff...necessarily). It actually got to the point where one of the cops sat me down this summer and gave me a talking to, because he didn't want to see me staying in undergrad for 8 years like he did....and now he's monitoring how many hours I sign up per week and making sure I keep on task. Remember: it takes a lot more time to bring your GPA back up than it does to blow it.

And the french fry thing is 100% true.

Jeremy89

Forum Captain
Hey everyone, I hate to hijack the forum:ph34r:, but my college (Arizona State) doesn't currently have any type of EMS program in place. I'd love to volunteer (I always hear calls near ASU) but none of the FD's has a volunteer program (except Phoenix but its not really what I'm looking for). So does anyone have advice for starting a college EMS program?? I think Campus Security is some partnership with the Tempe PD so I'm not sure if there's anything I can do. I just don't even know where to start. Anyone have any advice??

Thanks!

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Hey everyone, I hate to hijack the forum:ph34r:, but my college (Arizona State) doesn't currently have any type of EMS program in place. I'd love to volunteer (I always hear calls near ASU) but none of the FD's has a volunteer program (except Phoenix but its not really what I'm looking for). So does anyone have advice for starting a college EMS program?? I think Campus Security is some partnership with the Tempe PD so I'm not sure if there's anything I can do. I just don't even know where to start. Anyone have any advice??

Thanks!
Why not contact the ASU Police and see what they have to say? The National Collegiate EMS Foundation may also be a great resource for you. They have a list of many college EMS programs that you could use as a model/example.

Good luck!

seanm028

Forum Lieutenant
There's currently something in the works for ASU. Multiple agencies have to come together to make this work, including Tempe FD, Tempe PD, ASU PD (they're an actual police department, not a "security" group), PMT Ambulance, Campus Health, NCEMSF (as mentioned by MMiz), ASU Risk Management, and the list goes on.

But it is definitely in the works. I'll let you know when we've got more of a foothold. Our goal is to be fully operational within the 2008-2009 academic year. Have patience. :)

Jeremy89

Forum Captain
There's currently something in the works for ASU. Multiple agencies have to come together to make this work, including Tempe FD, Tempe PD, ASU PD (they're an actual police department, not a "security" group), PMT Ambulance, Campus Health, NCEMSF (as mentioned by MMiz), ASU Risk Management, and the list goes on.

But it is definitely in the works. I'll let you know when we've got more of a foothold. Our goal is to be fully operational within the 2008-2009 academic year. Have patience. :)

Cool! Sooo....how do I get involved? and I knew ASU had their own PD but I thought it was just a 'branch' of Tempe PD or something...

OP
OP
EMERG2011

EMERG2011

Forum Crew Member
Cool! Sooo....how do I get involved? and I knew ASU had their own PD but I thought it was just a 'branch' of Tempe PD or something...

My advice would be to simply go to the PD office, and ask them if they have any information, and see if you can get an appointment with the person who is in charge of setting up the service right now. NCEMSF is a great resource, as are other local college EMS services. Below are links to a couple college EMS service websites that I know of, so you can get an idea of what other college EMS services do.

Duke University:
http://duems.groups.duke.edu/index.php

The George Washington University:
http://www.gwu.edu/~emerg/

Georgetown University:
germs.georgetown.edu/about

Emory University:
http://www.emory.edu/EEMS/

NCEMSF
www.ncemsf.org

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I'd suggest PM'ing Sean... let him know who you are and that you want to help... and he'll probably let you know when this thing gets rolling.

Jeremy89

Forum Captain
I'd suggest PM'ing Sean... let him know who you are and that you want to help... and he'll probably let you know when this thing gets rolling.

Done! Thanks for the info everyone!

seanm028

Forum Lieutenant

I replied to your PM. Yeah, ASU PD is technically their own department separate from Tempe, but I've seen Tempe PD at every major incident on campus.

motownems

Forum Probie
My college doesn’t have its own EMS service/agency either. However I am part of a volly services which operates in the area of my school. My point here is that you might be able to find an agency that is near by that will allow you to work/volunteer with.

Responding to calls on campus can get interesting; you end up learning things you rather not know…