College and Paramedic Courses

Cory

Forum Captain
How hard/overwhelming would it be to try and take a paramedic course while going through general courses (the basic three or four year program) at a university?

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
There are some university's that offer a bachelors for Paramedics. I would guess it works like the 2 year college version and at my school Paramedic was 16 credits a term(more than full time) for over a year. You did not have to take any other courses at the same time, but I am sure this may vary from school to school and I have not been to a university.

Jeffrey_169

Forum Lieutenant
At Amarillo College (Amarillo TX) it is a two yr. program. I did mine in a year and half, but then again I already had my basic and I was taking 24 credits a semester (I had a triple major). It really just depends on where you take your clesses.

Keep in mind Community Colleges are often cheaper then universities, and you can always transfer to a University later if you want to. Also, at CC's the tuition is often cheaper as well, with smaller class sizes.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I think the OP was asking about taking Paramedic courses part time alongside a general university course load (I assume 4 courses). I am interested in opinions on the same...

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I would think taking a full load along with the paramedic program would be akin to working a full time job while going through the program. Difficult.

Unless, of course, your college load consists of classes like "Basket Weaving 101" and "Studies of advanced Napping with lab". :)

Seriously, I would think that finding time to study for your regular college course material would be difficult amidst your didactic and clinical load for medic.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
"Studies of advanced Napping with lab"

Aw man I loved that class, as well as "Practical applications of Crayola 102 with workshop" and "Introduction to concepts of Dr Suess 101"

Seriously I think you would be better off doing a Paramedic degree either AAS or BHSc or BSc or whatever you tack it onto over your way.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
a pre med student from NYU was in my medic class. He did very well. Of course he was not taking the heavy pre med classes that year. So its possible.

doctorfodder

Forum Crew Member
You can't take anything else while in the EMT program. They're in classes or doing clinicals all day long.

The rest of the time, they're studying for their sklls testing. I don't think there's any time for any other classes.

redcrossemt

Forum Asst. Chief
You can't take anything else while in the EMT program. They're in classes or doing clinicals all day long.

The rest of the time, they're studying for their sklls testing. I don't think there's any time for any other classes.

I think you must be talking about an academy-style program. Obviously that wouldn't work.

I think it's possible for the right person to complete medic while enrolled in a 4-year college or university. I would definitely take a lesser class load, and be prepared to spend A LOT of time between your classes and clinicals.

juxtin1987

Forum Crew Member
It's kind of a personal judgement if you ask me. Myself personally would do fine taking a full 4-5 course semester simultaneously with medic school (if thats all i had going on). Some people have to work to put themselves through college/medic school, some people have a family that they put as priority number 1. If you're asking more along the lines of is it physically possible? Absolutely yes, and its a good way to double dip into prerequisites as some accredited Medic schools count for 30 or more college units.

So if you're lucky enough to be the person who doesn't have to work to sustain life, and doesn't have other commitments and responsibilities, by all means you can take both at the same time. Whether or not you pass is up to your ability to learn and study, and nobody can guide you in that other than you.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Not be be a wet blanket on this discussion, but I don't think you're aware of the time requirements involved in a paramedic program. Many have 2 or more full days of didactic content, and then there is an abundance of clinical time that you need to commit to. For example, I don't have a full day off until the end of February. Between field ride time, ER/OR/and specialty unit Clinical time and classroom... I'm jammed full. Even if I had no other responsibilities I still would be hard pressed to find time for any extra classes.

Having just taken a full college load for the last year, I know for a fact that there is no way I could complete the paramedic program and carry a full course load at the same time. Simply not enough hours in the day to be able to give any of the material in any of the courses the time they deserve.

If you try to cram in too much stuff, you're just doing yourself a disservice. Get your college education and then get your medic.

It's kind of a personal judgement if you ask me. Myself personally would do fine taking a full 4-5 course semester simultaneously with medic school (if thats all i had going on). Some people have to work to put themselves through college/medic school, some people have a family that they put as priority number 1. If you're asking more along the lines of is it physically possible? Absolutely yes, and its a good way to double dip into prerequisites as some accredited Medic schools count for 30 or more college units.

So if you're lucky enough to be the person who doesn't have to work to sustain life, and doesn't have other commitments and responsibilities, by all means you can take both at the same time. Whether or not you pass is up to your ability to learn and study, and nobody can guide you in that other than you.

iamjeff171

Forum Crew Member
well lets see...
full college load = 15-ish hours/semester
paramedic school = 12-15 hours/ semester
15 +12 = 27

so minimum you are looking at 27-30 hours per semester. I don't personally know anyone, nor have i ever heard of anyone successfully completing 30 credit hours in one semester.

-Jeff

tigo

Forum Ride Along
around here the medic classes are TUES THURS, 9-5 for a year. So ya i think it is possible. make your classes all MWF and make sure to spread out the easy (GE) classes with your premajor\major classes and you should do ok. wouldn't recommend working as well though that might be tough.

alternatively, if you can afford it, you could also just go to university part time, go to medic school full time, and work part time if you really wanted to.

many options, it is all about balance.

redcrossemt

Forum Asst. Chief
so minimum you are looking at 27-30 hours per semester. I don't personally know anyone, nor have i ever heard of anyone successfully completing 30 credit hours in one semester.

I worked full-time and took a few University classes while completing my paramedic. I don't advocate it, but it can be done.

Like others have said, it depends on the person, their home life, their work and school schedule, and many more variables. One thing that helped me was downtime for studying while working.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
To the OP: If you're considering doing a FULL TIME academy style Paramedic program while doing FULL TIME college coursework, the person above me is about right... it's equivalent to doing about 27 units that semester. It won't have a good result for you. 22 units is about the most I've seen someone do successfully, and that was NO JOB on top of it.

Otherwise, it totally depends upon the schedule of the Paramedic Program and your College courses. Tues & Thurs only for a year for Paramedic? Probably doable. That would make your additional "load" per semester only about a +3 or +4 units. Going from 12 to say 16 or so isn't all that hard. Time management will be a PITA though.

Your call. It ain't going to be easy.

Last edited by a moderator:

VinBin

Forum Captain
I can speak on this because I did something similar. The only thing was my paramedic course was very accommodating to a college schedule.
Our classes were 2 days a week in the evenings and I pulled most of my clinicals during the weekend (although some ER hours can be fit in after class on some days).

All in all, as people here said, its pretty damn hard, because you are essentially a full time student at two facilities. BUT it is doable, just have the discipline to trade in a few parties and outing for clinicals (depending on how strict your program is about keeping up with them). If you keep up with it, you can be done in 1 or 2 years, and I cant think of many part time jobs better than one as a paramedic...

If you are working as well, or have a family/kids it might be too much to ask. On some weeks I found myself wondering it if was worth it, but looking back I have no regrets!

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
First, I had several 20 credit semesters in college.

Having said that, I was not able to pull off a full time college load and the EMT-Basic curriculum. It wasn't that it couldn't be done, it was just that I was exhausted every day.

In retrospect I wish I spent more time in college enjoying college and less time working as an EMT-Basic. It was a great experience working on the rig, but college went by far too fast.

Good luck!

Jeffrey_169

Forum Lieutenant
I agree with Vinbin. It was never easy taking 21-24 credits asemester. Even now I am more then full time, and more often then not I get 3-4 hours a sleep a night. Balancing family, work, and school is difficult enough and taking on more then you can chew is obviously not the best decision. I just did not want to be 40 in and in med school. I would recommend taking your first semester of EMS-P and seeing how you do with this. If you excell with that, maybe the following semester take a few more credits and see how you do with it. Start gradually and you can always qork your way up.

I did my Paramedic in a year and a hlf, and I only have another year of premed and anthropology, and a year and a half of psychology. To me it is worth it, but again it depends upon the person. MMiz also has a valid point too. I am older, and I have already had my fun the first time in college several years ago. I would not recommend taking more then you can enjoy. College is a time to learn, but also a time to live.

Learn all you can, but make sure you have time to enjoy the time as well. It only comes one, and you don't want regrets.

Last edited by a moderator: