Collecting Stories for TV Series

sheranhnz

Forum Ride Along
Hello

We are a production company that produces non-fiction series for Discovery Channel, National Geographic, and Science Channel. We're currently developing a series about first-aid gone wrong.

We want to find stories about people who have attempted first aid on themselves or others, but bungled it in the worst way. Also looking for stories about people who have been forced to administer first aid when no other help was available, or when they didn't want help. The stories would then outline how they finally got professional help, with the moral of the story being "don't try this at home!" The takeaway message for the viewer would be - the best way to help yourself in an emergency or to ask for help from professionals. So there is ultimately a safety message.

Any insight or assistance is very much appreciated!

thank you,
Shera

Last edited by a moderator:

High Speed Chaser

Forum Crew Member
Not sure if people, especially EMTs would say their worst mistakes for a TV series.

First Aid gone wrong can be very traumatic to first responders who stuff up accidental and even make patients who need help less keen to receive help unless its from professionals who may not be available. Remeber, people who know first aid are not usually professionals. I have heard true stories, where I am, of teachers responding to a student in Anaphylactic shock who have administered an Epi-Pen the wrong way and end up injecting the epinephrine into themselves and in the end it's not pretty because those children end up dyeing.

I don't like the idea of saying to not try this at home. It would be much better to encourage people to learn first aid instead.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
What is the name of your production company?

Cards on the table, gents.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I haven't personally had anything of that nature.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
This sounds less like a Discovery Channel project and more like a Spike special with Z-List "celebrities" ridiculing others. Furthermore, Discovery has a long history of doing excellent programs on ER and field medicine ("Trauma: Life in the ER" and "Paramedics" to name a couple, plus a new one, "911: The Bronx") and I cannot remember ever seeing a similar post soliciting material. Thanks, but I'll pass...

JPINFV

Gadfly
This is the second notice that your malpractice insurance has expired....

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
This sounds less like a Discovery Channel project and more like a Spike special with Z-List "celebrities" ridiculing others. Furthermore, Discovery has a long history of doing excellent programs on ER and field medicine ("Trauma: Life in the ER" and "Paramedics" to name a couple, plus a new one, "911: The Bronx") and I cannot remember ever seeing a similar post soliciting material. Thanks, but I'll pass...

What? No one thinks it is a good idea to air your personal EMS horror stories so that someone claiming to want to spread what is probably not a fond memory to god knows who in a manner that we can only assume (my guess would be Spike TVs 1000 Ways to Die) or actual be naive enough to listen to the disembodied voice coming from a first time poster. Ya... I'll pass too. :rolleyes:

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
If you don't want to share your story you can just pass on this thread. No need to make negative remarks.

It should be no surprise that most networks these days, including the big ones, have smaller production companies shoot and produce series that are then broadcast on the major networks. A google of NHNZ brings up NHNZ.tv, a company that has produced Orangutan Island, I Survived (A&E), Into the Frozen Abyss / Expedition Antarctica (National Geographic), and many more.

Again, if you don't want to share your story, then you're welcome to pass.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
not that i've had much experience ...

but I too will pass

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I have shared many many experiences here and they are not copyrighted

but as I messaged to our moderator, I'm always suspicious.
And never bored! ;)

I'm also curious about what a "Good Idea" would be, or is it just the general stuff which can be rewritten and edited?

(Oh, no..."RENO EMS 911"!). LMAO, I'd contribute for that!

firecoins

IFT Puppet
are you guys crazy!

no emt in his or her right is going to admit thay screwed up on tv good luck with that

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
no emt in his or her right is going to admit thay screwed up on tv good luck with that

They're looking for those who have performed disastrous first-aid on themselves or who have seen the results of poor layrescuer first-aid...not medics who have screwed up.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Where's the OP? Wish they would respond and clarify what they really are looking for and what they will pay.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm not sure if publicizing how first aid provided in good faith can go horribly wrong in the "worst way" is a great idea. Given ILCOR's recommendation that any attempt is better than no attempt, when it comes to CPR, it seems irresponsible to discourage people from providing help to those in need. I mean I realise that ~99.9 percent of first aid isn't CPR but still... it seems irresponsible to discourage people from helping others with scare tactics, in general.

Besides if you're looking for the kinds of stories like "don't try to trach a guy with a piece of bamboo because you saw it on Grey's Anatomy this one time", then nobody here is that dumb (to do it or to admit it if they did).

Sorry mods, I know u said no neg comments, but I couldn't help but point out the potentially negative effect on public health :ph34r:

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Besides if you're looking for the kinds of stories like "don't try to trach a guy with a piece of bamboo because you saw it on Grey's Anatomy this one time", then nobody here is that dumb (to do it or to admit it if they did).

Are you also saying that I shouldn't perform an emergency tracheotomy with my Swiss army knife and a bic pen? :wacko: