CO/NM EMS

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Howdy, I was wondering if anyone has any details on UCHealth's Fort Collins operations. Deployment, protocols, workflow, equipment, scheduling, pay, etc.

Also, wondering a little about Albuquerque Ambulance again....I think it's the Annual Missing of Seasons and Weather that I get.

Lastly, does anyone know anything about San Juan Regional? That looks very, very interesting.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Sjrmc is an interesting animal. One of, if not the only, ground EMS operations to RSI in NM. They do 911, ift, Cct, and flight operations. They are in one of the most rugged parts of the state, and poorest and most rural in places.
AAS is still interesting. Mostly 3x13 schedule, biggest 911 transporting agency in the state owned by the largest Healthcare company in the state, with other 911 operations in at least two other counties. Emt/paramedic staffing with the paramedic no longer having to ride every call in. Pay isn't bad, but it's less than you make now and there's state income tax to boot.

But I get you on missing seasons.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Another reason I like this forum so much. You learn, and/ or discover systems through others that may otherwise go unnoticed.

That's a very interesting setup San Juan Regional has there. I would imagine quite rural with frequent interactions with the local Native American tribes?

They're (TMK) a whole different culture and people unto themselves, and very much overlooked, but I digress...

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Another reason I like this forum so much. You learn, and/ or discover systems through others that may otherwise go unnoticed.

That's a very interesting setup San Juan Regional has there. I would imagine quite rural with frequent interactions with the local Native American tribes?

They're (TMK) a whole different culture and people unto themselves, and very much overlooked, but I digress...
You'd be correct. The four corners region is rigjt next to the Navajo Nation. Plus there might be a Pueblo or two nearby too. NM agencies almost all work in close proximity to natives and their local agencies, and usually mutual aid them too. Honestly San Juan is one of my top choices if I ever go back to NM. Except for the fact I dislike Farmington itself lol

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

VentMonkey

Family Guy
You'd be correct. The four corners region is rigjt next to the Navajo Nation. Plus there might be a Pueblo or two nearby too. NM agencies almost all work in close proximity to natives and their local agencies, and usually mutual aid them too. Honestly San Juan is one of my top choices if I ever go back to NM. Except for the fact I dislike Farmington itself lol
Are their ground paramedics working within CCP protocols?

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

San Juan does sound interesting.

AAS only does 39 hours a week? That sounds like a pay trap. Extra shifts are life to them?

I...dislike the swamp. I can literally see the air. So over it.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
San Juan does sound interesting.

AAS only does 39 hours a week? That sounds like a pay trap. Extra shifts are life to them?

I...dislike the swamp. I can literally see the air. So over it.
39 hours a week base schedule. I know most people wind up working an extra shift to make their money decent. But they are a decent service in general

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

I miss big Western skies, dry air and Mexico. And cold wind. And snow. And commutes to see family that aren't measured in air miles or calendars. And mountains.

@Handsome Robb how's REMSA?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I miss big Western skies, dry air and Mexico. And cold wind. And snow. And commutes to see family that aren't measured in air miles or calendars. And mountains.

@Handsome Robb how's REMSA?

Pm me. I hear a lot has changed since I was there though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Howdy, I was wondering if anyone has any details on UCHealth's Fort Collins operations. Deployment, protocols, workflow, equipment, scheduling, pay, etc.
I don't know a tremendous about them, but I'll add what I know. Until a few years ago the Poudre Valley Hospital was an independent community hospital with its own EMS service. UC bought PVH and allowed them to continue to run the ambulance, but there are no other UC facilities with an EMS service. This worries me somewhat, especially since PVH holds an actual contract with Fort Collins. My understanding is that AMR entered a pretty competitive bid last time and I (personally) am not sure if UC wants to continue providing such a service.

I hope they do though. It has a fantastic reputation in a state of pretty good places to work. My understanding is that they have 3-4 ambulances for Fort Collins plus two more in greater Larimer county in a partnership with Front Range Fire Rescue. No posting to my knowledge, and their equipment appears to be awesome. Their protocols are available online and they have one of the larger formularies in CO, though I am not sure if they are an RSI service (state waiver required).

I don't know much else. Fort Collins is an awesome city (does have a large university which comes with its own challenges). If it was closer to skiing it would be on the top of my list.

I think @chaz90 once was associated with them.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Tigger pretty much hit the high points regarding UCHealth Fort Collins. They were PVH EMS when I was there though and just beginning the transition to UC.

They did some posting when I was there, but it was primarily station based. We started off at one of three locations and then dynamically moved to various stations or posting locations as call volume dictated. They were all 12 hour shifts when I was there, and primarily EMT/Paramedic staffing. You're assigned to either front half or back half days or nights and work a set schedule of either every Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, or every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Sundays alternate between front and back half.

I really liked the integration with the hospital when I was there. Since we primarily transported to Poudre Valley Hospital and were affiliated with them, it was easy to get along well with ED staff and build a relationship with them. Fire had a decent relationship with us and provided BLS only "first response" with fire apparatus on every single medical call. We had full autonomy to cancel them or clear them up when we got there, and they certainly never stepped on our toes regarding medical decision making. All 911 units also provided IFT transfer services in the city of Fort Collins, and occasionally got stuck doing a long distance transfer to somewhere like Wyoming, Pueblo, or Sterling.

I really have no idea how the out of town units are working now. I never had any experience with them, but I know they were also setting up a free standing ED based EMS crew in Greeley as I was leaving. The goal there was to have them work in the ED then perform an IFT/CCT function as necessary bringing patients from the FRED to an inpatient facility.

Protocols were decent, and they were rolling out a special waiver based RSI program at one point. I believe they're available on the PPP app if you're curious on specifics. They also had a pretty active TEMS program.