CNA to LPN to EMT or CNA to EMT.

OP
OP
Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost

Forum Crew Member
CNA can range from 2 weeks to 6 months. Depends on where you take it and how much education you want out of it. (kinda like EMT-B)

LPN is 1 year. I equate it to an EMT-I, kinda of useless. You could continue on and finish Rn. Most hospitals do not use LPN's anymore. Mainly Nursing homes or Dr's offices.

Well, Grady hires RNs and Paramedics. But there are quite a few nursing homes in my area that hire LPNs and CNAs. CNA is 2 quarter, because they strech it out to part time, 2 days a week for AHA 101, AHS 109 first quarter and CNA100 next quarter 3 days a week.
LPN is 15 month, which should be less, since AHS101 and AHS109 are also prerequizites for LPN and Paramedic. I might be trying to kill to rabbits with one shot and wonder if it worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Just go ahead with the RN. You will never regret it.

I am kicking myself for getting involved in EMS when my goal is medicine. It is a detour and a waste of time. That said, I have learned a lot, and learned of a profession in serious need. I hope to help one day.

Seriously, do not hop across the river using different levels of certs as your method. Just go on and take the bridge, if you will indulge my analogy, and do your pre reqs and go directly to RN school.

You have no idea how rewarding it will be for you. I have seen people go through it and finish it.

OP
OP
Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost

Forum Crew Member
Just go ahead with the RN. You will never regret it.

I am kicking myself for getting involved in EMS when my goal is medicine. It is a detour and a waste of time. That said, I have learned a lot, and learned of a profession in serious need. I hope to help one day.

Seriously, do not hop across the river using different levels of certs as your method. Just go on and take the bridge, if you will indulge my analogy, and do your pre reqs and go directly to RN school.

You have no idea how rewarding it will be for you. I have seen people go through it and finish it.

Yes, you're right. But isn't EMS considered a medical carreer. I was always under impression that Nurse<Paramedic<Doctor. :rolleyes: So you think full time RN with a EMT job on a side sound like a better prognosis in terms of income, professional recognition?

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Yes, you're right. But isn't EMS considered a medical carreer. I was always under impression that Nurse<Paramedic<Doctor. :rolleyes: So you think full time RN with a EMT job on a side sound like a better prognosis in terms of income, professional recognition?

No. Not even close.

A Paramedic is a technical certificate much like the LPN but with less hours in school usually. It can be as few as 500 hours of training which some CNA programs have more hours. Only one or two states require a two year degree to be a Paramedic. Quite often Fire Fighters are required to have a Paramedic certificate before they are hired or right after. Thus in some areas, there are more Paramedics than there should be.

A nurse must have at least two years of college to gain entry into their profession. Many Paramedics go to nursing school to advance their education.

Thus, a Paramedic is a long, long way from being a doctor or even an RN.

OP
OP
Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost

Forum Crew Member
No. Not even close.

A Paramedic is a technical certificate much like the LPN but with less hours in school usually. It can be as few as 500 hours of training which some CNA programs have more hours. Only one or two states require a two year degree to be a Paramedic. Quite often Fire Fighters are required to have a Paramedic certificate before they are hired or right after. Thus in some areas, there are more Paramedics than there should be.

A nurse must have at least two years of college to gain entry into their profession. Many Paramedics go to nursing school to advance their education.

Thus, a Paramedic is a long, long way from being a doctor or even an RN.
:pOh, i get it now. So, by any chance, RN can work in ER, right. Is it quite as exitiong as being a Paramedic?

VentMedic

Forum Chief
:pOh, i get it now. So, by any chance, RN can work in ER, right. Is it quite as exitiong as being a Paramedic?

An RN can work in the ER, on critical care transports, specialty ICUs including Pediatrics and Neonatal transport teams and Flight teams that do critical patients between hospitals and from EMS scenes. A nurse on many of these transport teams can do everything a Paramedic can and much more. Paramedics are usually not found in any ICU within the hospital. If they work in the hospital ER, they are usually an ER tech with not much more scope of practice than a CNA or LPN.

An RN in a busy trauma center would probably not consider his/her career unexciting or boring. You would get to see and participate in many more procedures than you would as a Paramedic.

Of course, it will take much more education and time in college to become an RN than it would a Paramedic but it would be a solid career. Hopefully some of your previous college credits will transfer to a real college. Stay away from "academies" aka medic mills. The academy you mentioned earlier was probably ready for you to write a big check since you were still thinking of the U.S. Paramedic being like those in Russia. You are easy prey for some of these schools.

OP
OP
Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost

Forum Crew Member
An RN can work in the ER, on critical care transports, specialty ICUs including Pediatrics and Neonatal transport teams and Flight teams that do critical patients between hospitals and from EMS scenes. A nurse on many of these transport teams can do everything a Paramedic can and much more. Paramedics are usually not found in any ICU within the hospital. If they work in the hospital ER, they are usually an ER tech with not much more scope of practice than a CNA or LPN.

An RN in a busy trauma center would probably not consider his/her career unexciting or boring. You would get to see and participate in many more procedures than you would as a Paramedic.

Of course, it will take much more education and time in college to become an RN than it would a Paramedic but it would be a solid career. Hopefully some of your previous college credits will transfer to a real college. Stay away from "academies" aka medic mills. The academy you mentioned earlier was probably ready for you to write a big check since you were still thinking of the U.S. Paramedic being like those in Russia. You are easy prey for some of these schools.

^_^Thanks for advice. I'd probably still get LPN first, just because a class is in my town, 5 minut drive from home, wich is more convenient. And then do the bridge class in Atlanta.
:ph34r:Can i still snoop on this site, thought? i think EMS system is fascinating.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
:ph34r:Can i still snoop on this site, thought? i think EMS system is fascinating.

Of course you can.

There are also many threads with hundreds of posts that go into great detail about the plight of the U.S. Paramedic as far as educational standards are concerned. You might want to read through a few just to get a better understanding of how every state, county and city may vary their EMS system with different levels.

OP
OP
Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost

Forum Crew Member
Of course you can.

There are also many threads with hundreds of posts that go into great detail about the plight of the U.S. Paramedic as far as educational standards are concerned. You might want to read through a few just to get a better understanding of how every state, county and city may vary their EMS system with different levels.

:rolleyes:Thank you very much. If i was, lets say, just graduating high school here and just moved here form Russia, i would definetly do EMS programm without even thinking. But im not 17 anymore, so i have to, i quess, stick, with what i know and know i can do, wich is nursing, have to think about my future and providing for my family. Cause like my mom says, even if i did EMT now, there aint no guarantee ill get a job, because so many departments have so many different requirements makes your head:wacko:

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
I would like to point out that the aim for paramedic education is that of a clinician on par with a registered nurse. It pains me to say that is not true in most of our fine country. I envision a day where paramedics are top notch and respected clinicians, who produce a lot of the country's critical care and EM research, who are educated in college, etc.

In the end, follow your bliss, as I just read from Outside magazine.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I would like to point out that the aim for paramedic education is that of a clinician on par with a registered nurse. It pains me to say that is not true in most of our fine country. I envision a day where paramedics are top notch and respected clinicians, who produce a lot of the country's critical care and EM research, who are educated in college, etc.

Yes we have had that aim for EMS for over 30 years when the 2 year degrees for the Paramedic first appeared but are not seldom obtained by those in the EMS professions. The certifcate trained Paramedic still leads. Until more than one or two states realize the importance of an education for the Paramedic, this profession will still be at a standstill.

OP
OP
Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost

Forum Crew Member

Russian analog of Paramedic is called Feldscher, wich is like a field doctor, they can diagnose, treat and prescribe medicine. So i thought paramedic can do all of that too. I didn't even realize just how different the whole system is here. They have RNs and feldshers on russian ambulances, by the way.

WannaBeFlight

Forum Lieutenant
LPN are practically washed out now-a-days, except for in Private doctor offices due to the monetary reasons of hiring a LPN vs. RN. The real question you need to ask yuorself is do want to do Emergency Medicine where you never know whats coming or work in Family Practice,Pediatric Offices and hospitals etc...where everyday is routine and generic. If you want to go the Nursing route, dont mess with LPN, go for RN then you would be able to work in ER. Plus teh pay for a RN is double what a LPN gets starting out.

Plus who says you cant be an EMT-B and a RN or LPN. I know plenty of people who have both and love it.

Vanenix

Forum Crew Member
I've just finished and passed my NREMT Examination. Now, I am planning to work in the Ambulance for 6 months while studying EKG(ECG) Class. Then, I would transfer working in the Hospital Emergency Room and apply my EKG and EMT course at the same time. Most hospital requires 6 months ambulance experience prior on working in the hospital plus it would be helpful if you have a certification of your EKG course. Then, you could focus in studying for your RN while working as an Emergency Department Technician. You could make your Emergency Department Technician as a part time career until you finish your Nursing Career.