CIEMT in Signal Hills, CA

OP
OP
G37Rider92649

G37Rider92649

Forum Probie
Man now your scaring me haha its ok thanks bro hopefully all pulls through :rolleyes:

bgems

Forum Ride Along
I took the M W F course in Hawthorne at McCormick. Mike and the instructors are great, the workload wasn't bad, however i took this over summer while out of school. Would highly suggest CIEMT, good luck!

TheyCallMeNasty

Forum Crew Member
yea it depends in a 7 week course you will get barely any skills time compared to a 5 month course along with clinical and ambulance ride along. 7 week is good if you want to slam through test and learn out in the field thing is most things you would learn in the field like being a "gurney pusher" like that guy said wouldnt compare to the skills you repeated and mastered over 5 months that would help you when you go to be a paramedic. the program I did was 5 months and the ambulance companys came at grad and pretty much hired us before we did the NREMT.

realitycheck1

Forum Ride Along
I HIGHLY recommend CIEMT. I took the condensed course through CIEMT with Matt about 4 years ago and it was great. Matt had a wealth of knowledge and stories from his years in the field, and he kept the class entertained while teaching all of the materials.

I couldn't imagine taking a 5 month course for just the EMT-Basic exam. There really isn't that much to learn, but with the condensed course you WILL have to put your time in OUTSIDE of class. As for practical skills, this class gave us the required number of hours, and I thought that was plenty. Really, how many hours do you want practicing on mannequins anyway? You will do most of your learning(and re-learning) in the field anyway; different companies have different equipment, fire departments you run have their own protocols. The tests at CIEMT were fair and easy to take. Matt had just bought his set of remotes so that we didn't need to fill out scantrons...just 2 easy clicks of a button for each question. You will have to wait for the allotted time for each question, but it goes by quickly, and you're stuck in class for a certain number of hours anyway.

If you're like me and don't want to waste 5 months learning something that you can probably learn on your own anyway, TAKE THIS CLASS. Read the book and do the practice questions on your own time, and you'll do fine on the NREMT.

realitycheck1

Forum Ride Along
I just checked CIEMT's website and it looks like they are contracting with McCormick. My recommendation to take the EMT course through CIEMT was for when Matt was the only instructor.

I would further recommend AGAINST taking any course through McCormick Ambulance Company. Patient well-being should always come first in the medical field. Some companies make it blatantly obvious that profit is their priority. Just ask yourself why you are entering this field, and make sure the company you work for doesn't impose their values on you.

OP
OP
G37Rider92649

G37Rider92649

Forum Probie
Took it and failed it haha. By only a few percents, I passed everything but failed the written exam. Waste of my money and time, missed out on alot in life, job opportunities, occasions for great times in life within the 7 weeks. I had no life either with class, so much and studying all day and weekends. And in the end didn't pull through. I don't like the system where they call you out on questions and flame you for not answering it correctly and it gets worse and worse. I dont like how you can get kicked out so easily also, not showing up on certain days and your out, miss a day and you got to make up the time you missed with 15 bucs an hr? Its like a big time money eater and they make it so its easy to fail and spend more money. They don't hesitate to kick you out, it's a 40% fail rate, either way they keep the money if you fail, get dropped, or drop yourself.

Instructor wise, yes they know their stuff big time, knowledgeable but strict people, VERY strict, and they make you feel like crap when you don't know your stuff. A TOTALLY different experience from going to this school and or a normal community college school.

My advice to those who want to take it, take time off school, take time off work, study ALOT, review over and over and over and even when your free study even when you don't think you need too. Do that and I'm sure you will pass. DO alot of study groups also if possible.

My advice to others from personal experience, life is a long ways and time does fly by, I would rather take an 18 week course, take my time and pass it, when you really think about it there really is no rush especially if your young, dont push it there's no need too. You'll get to where you need to, with less of a head ache, and spending less money, really no difference and no point in rushing; well atleast for me, but I learned it the hard way. $750 ++ bucs later gone. It's also a 40% fail right in their classes fact.

Either way, I'm working a different job now that pays double what I'd do being an EMT and I actually like it, hours are better and no head aches. And competition is not as much since everybody and their friends wants to be a paramedic, you work so hard and you get in, once in, you don't make that much anyways. I went a business entrepreneurship route in life now and no regrets. More money more better.

Don't get me wrong, I always wanted to be an EMT B, so after saving up money for this new job im going back to a Community college and doing it.

GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY.

PS. CIEMT is a great school, but is it worth the pressure and the time? That's on you.
Also! I heard the Hawthorne class is more easier than the signall hills one ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
As far as short versus long courses, careful about making generalizations. Often times the class hours are exactly the same, just spread out. My original EMT long course provided MUCH fewer skills time than some of the short courses I've now seen. I would have traded in my long course in a second for the quality instruction I've seen at other courses, even if they were much much shorter. Most skills I couldn't practice at home, anyway.

OP
OP
G37Rider92649

G37Rider92649

Forum Probie
I'd take the longer class if I had the chance, less of headaches, easier on yourself, save your money, and in general a better chance of passing for some individuals. But if you know you can handle the short classes, cudos to you and I wish everyone luck and the best. But remember, this short class here is not like other short classes at other schools.

For what I missed out on life having no life during those weeks and sacrificed for the class, it was definitely not worth it for me, after a few weeks through I wanted to leave but their no refund policy kicks you in the butt. Some students called it a money trap, if you don't like it you can't get your money back, not even some, you mess up a small bit (like going class late few times, or not showing up even if your super sick on certain days) than money is gone, you lack of knowledge and money is gone, you stick it through and even fail by 1% your money is gone. Many students found it a hustle going to that school, I personally didn't just sharing what they said.

msion

Forum Ride Along
Took the course over the summer (evening class). Yes the course load was very high and the instructors were strict. But I was also taking a class at a community college while attending the EMT course, so it's totally doable if you are motivated. Focus, take good notes and spend at least 2 hours a day to go over the material. Then you will have no problem passing the class and the national registry. Even you do struggle, they will make sure you can memorize the important stuff. The class did prepare me well for the registry, the final was harder than my registry exam. They went into very details about anatomy, so be sure to know every single structure/organ on the human body, but it's no harm to know more. In my opinion, a semester long EMT-B course would not be necessary, there isn't much in the basic level, just patient assessment and general knowledge on managing medical/trauma situations.

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
Are you kidding me? So many people complaining about missing out on life for 7 weeks! It's 7 weeks, do any of you want to become paramedics? If you do, get used to it. I'm sorry, but Basic class is not that hard.

CSLEMT

Forum Ride Along
CIEMT Signal Hill

I took the course last January M/W/F.

Matt and the boys are rough and don't have anytime for BS... show up on time, study, prepare to learn... it will be a grind.

The course final is harder than the NREMT. You past the final, The NREMT is a piece of cake.

CIEMT will make you an excellent EMT.

EMSpassion

Forum Probie
I want to take the 4 week CIEMT course. The thing is that I work full time from 7-4, I actually had to ask my boss if it was o.k for me to leave at 2:30 so I could be on time for the class (since I work in Los Angeles and will drive to Long Beach). Is the work-load too much?? Do you really learn most of the things you need to learn to be a good EMT? Im planning to register for 04/29/2011.

OP
OP
G37Rider92649

G37Rider92649

Forum Probie
My advice is ask yourself if it's really what you want, I was actually determine to be an EMT-B and then move up, I didn't want to do anything else, but then now I'm doing a job opposite of that type of job making double what I'd make as a EMT, so actually thank the world for not going through with the class LOL. Everything happens for a reason.

PS. I keep in contact with most of my classmates whom I attended the course with and just to let you know, NOT 1 landed a job yet. And they finished in October 2010. Fyi. Actually I think one person got an interview. Job market for it sucks right now

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
What's the prices for both places?

$950 for NCTI. It is held at AMR. Taught by a Flight medic and another medic. They have a 100% NREMT pass rate. They also offer it in different areas. Not just in North Hollywood. As well as not just EMT but Paramedic and Dispatching. All through AMR.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief

Yea found it. But to let you know every school reports thru the North. So its summed into one. The reason being is its the same director for all. So when your talking campuses across California yea your going to have an 80% pass rate. In my class everyone passed at the first try of the NREMT. Don't know and don't care of any other place I am just offering a friendly suggestion and its based on the great experience as well as others I know had. But if chosen to go thru the Hollywood course, I highly recommend it. I was going to go to CIEMT. Thats how I learnd about Gerber Ambulance Service, never heard of them before that. I got down there saw how far it was from me and decided Hollyweird would be easier for me considering im coming from L.A. to this day I don't regret my decision. Its all what the student and instructor put into the program.