chronic Hep B in the healthcare system

foxfire

Forum Asst. Chief
Ok, so I was listening to one of my classmates research paper on infectous diseases and how we can run the risk of exposure and how to avoid being exposed and so on. The thought hit me that she did not mention anything about after the exposure. So I chose one disease and did a little research on Hepatitus B. I found all the treatment options and looked at a ton of exposure protocals from various states.
But I could not find anything for healthcare providers that have contracted the disease and it developed into a chronic case. So I studied the disease alittle more indepth, And found for most chronic Hep B carriers if the viral numbers are kept down through therapy are able to lead relatively normal lives. Also for giggles I asked a doctor I know that specializes in liver diseases. About a person that has chronic hep B being able to continue working in the health care setting. More specificly the EMS. His answer was yes and there are alot of healthcare providers that have controlled hep B.
So that lead me to wonder why I can't find anything written about it? It almost seems to be a hush hush thing. I know it is nothing to shout across town, but still has me wondering.......
Is it handled on a base by base case with each employee? is there actual regulations about it?
Any thoughts on this topic?
I'm on the verge of becoming obsesive about it.:ph34r:

BEorP

Forum Captain
I don't know your location, but in Ontario under the Ambulance Service Communicable Disease standards you cannot work as a paramedic with Hep B.

OP
OP
foxfire

foxfire

Forum Asst. Chief
I don't know your location, but in Ontario under the Ambulance Service Communicable Disease standards you cannot work as a paramedic with Hep B.
Great, thanks for the info. I have spent a lot of time looking because my instructor encouraged me to do a research paper on it. Or atleast a report. Info has been really sparse if any.
Is the policy on a web site? If so, could you send me the link so I can add it to my pile of data?

BEorP

Forum Captain
Great, thanks for the info. I have spent a lot of time looking because my instructor encouraged me to do a research paper on it. Or atleast a report. Info has been really sparse if any.
Is the policy on a web site? If so, could you send me the link so I can add it to my pile of data?

http://www.ambulance-transition.com...rvice_communicable_disease_standards_0600.pdf

Though it does technically say "acute symptomatic state," but the impression I got while working is that no one would be allowed to work with Hep B.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Google up your local health certificating agencies and ask them directly.

Ask also abot hepatitis C and nasal staph carriers. Ask why health care providers are not screened for bloodborne pathogens or chronic staph. (In actuality, since it is so much easier to pass microbes through the nasal secretions than via bodily fluids, staph is a greater concern in a setting where one does not as a matter of course lose bodily fluids, such as EMS and unlike say professional basketball or "the sex trade").

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
EMS providers really ought to be required to go through decolonizing procedures every once in a while. I don't catch anything, but I can imagine i'm probably harboring some things that aren't so good for my patients, despite my awesome personal hygiene.