Chat room

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Any thoughts as to why it is so quiet? Or am I missing it?

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm usually not on long enough to chat, quick review of new and followed posts, a couple replies, and I'm gone. Well, that and the fact that the 1 or 2 times I've hopped in I've been the only one there. :huh:

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
No more Aprz, Tommerag, MrBrown, Silver, LFL, Veneficus, JPINFV, Katgrl, USAF, or medicRob in it. That's why. :) Those were like the only people I saw in it ever.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
No more Aprz, Tommerag, MrBrown, Silver, LFL, Veneficus, JPINFV, Katgrl, USAF, or medicRob in it. That's why. :) Those were like the only people I saw in it ever.

Aprz is right.

Any thoughts as to why it is so quiet? Or am I missing it?

Most people will look at Who's Chatting, and if there isn't anyone in there, they won't go in themselves.

My recommendation: If you're going to be on the site for awhile, log into chat. More than likely someone will join you.

shiroun

Forum Lieutenant
Most people will look at Who's Chatting, and if there isn't anyone in there, they won't go in themselves.

My recommendation: If you're going to be on the site for awhile, log into chat. More than likely someone will join you.

x2.

I hop in the chat on occassion. I'll probably be in any-time i'm home over the next few days. So Come on in!

ShannahQuilts

Forum Crew Member
Well, it's only been very recently that I had enough posts to get into chat, but I thought it was a scheduled thing, like "Thursdays at 6pm Pacific Time" or something like that.

If it's unscheduled, great, I will definitely drop in whenever I have time.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

I used to spend a decent amount of time in there. :sad:

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I would like to append NVRob to my list.

I used to go on chat at work, but now that I got an EMT job, there is no computer to use, and it's too difficult to use on my phone. I usually talk to people on Facebook using my phone, lol. I think others do the same. Talked a lot with other EMTLifers on Facebook.

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
I think I'm only friends with one emtlifer on facebook. Weird seeing someone in real life!

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Are we supposed to get some sort of audio or visual signal if somone joins chatroom and we are doing something else in EMTLIFE?

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
What about some type of "online EMTLife meet up"?

A specific time/day once a month or so where everyone logs on at the same time and chats away? ^_^

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
They've donr that a couple of times. I haven't made it to one. Too difficult probably because everyone probably has very different schedule.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

SIDEBAR : a few of us tried meeting in "Second Life". Too steep a learning curve and too much video game element involved.

ShannahQuilts

Forum Crew Member
Yes, I think Second Life is great for some things, not so great for others. I say this from the perspective of being what I think most people would consider to be an advanced builder and intermediate scripter in Second Life. My only real job, for which I get paid in bait, is with a major fishing game in SL.

The upside to Second Life is that it allows you to take people who can't conveniently get together physically in real life, and allow them to interact, even in some fairly sophisticated ways. For example, I taught a class in building and scripting at a university, within Second Life, to students across the US and Europe, and that worked great.

We have had presentations by major artists, talks by famous authors, lots of 3D exhibits (there was one where you could don a special suit, and take a tour of the inside of a lifelike heart, including bloodflow) and tons of concerts. There was also, at the main library in SL, an exhibit that demonstrated what life was like for some schizophrenics. It was really interesting.

But just to chat? I agree - I think that it's more work to learn SL, just to chat, than it is to use one of the many other venues to chat.

I'm happy to answer any questions about SL, and if you want to connect in world, send me a PM and I'll send you my user name.

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
There are one or two other forums I visit that show the number of people in live chat next to the link or their usernames close by; I wonder if we could do the same so that you do not have to scroll right down to the bottom of the page to see?

It's not really a major, I've left it open the past few times while I've been doing stuff around the house and only one or two people have briefly popped in briefly.