Cert

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
CERT or Community Emergency Response Team, a group of volunteers ready to respond in time of disaster. I just received my academy notice and I will be attending a 6 week program. Just curious, does your city have a similar entity, are any of you actively involved in it?

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
CERT is (somewhat) active here. They were much more active around 2005 but they still exist today. I'm a trainer but haven't touch the material in a few years.

OP
OP
Sandog

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Insane Diego we have the threats of Earthquake, Tsunami, firestorms and lord knows what else. In a city of this size and geologic nature a CERT outfit seems important.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I am just finishing seven years with our local CERT. LA County Fire is the granddaddy, but SF Bay area ones are no slouches either.

NJEMT95

Forum Lieutenant
My town has had one for a while, but it's just recently becoming more active. They've been present at large events (e.g. July 4).
It doesn't really make sense for me to become active with them since any time they're needed, I'll be busy on the ambulance.

OP
OP
Sandog

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
My town has had one for a while, but it's just recently becoming more active. They've been present at large events (e.g. July 4).
It doesn't really make sense for me to become active with them since any time they're needed, I'll be busy on the ambulance.

But you could add to the education of your CERT members. Use your knowledge in a way to instruct others.

NJEMT95

Forum Lieutenant
But you could add to the education of your CERT members. Use your knowledge in a way to instruct others.

They're led by our Deputy Fire Chief and do some joint trainings with my volley squad and the FD.

SarahAus

Forum Probie
CERT is pretty active in my city/county, and I'm pretty involved at the moment - currently working on the neighbourhood disaster plan and getting the neighbourhood actively involved.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
OP
OP
Sandog

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
SarahAUS, I presume you live in the commonwealth down under?

http://www.ambulance.vic.gov.au/Par...medics/Community-Emergency-Response-Team.html

U.S.A. CERT is more oriented towards teaching lay people what not to do and what to do safely in the event of a disaster.

I don't know what your CERT is like in your community, but ours is quite a bit more involved than that. I know a few CERT members here.

http://www.sandiego.gov/fire/services/cert/gallery/index.shtml

SarahAus

Forum Probie