Censorship

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I am all for the CL's enforcing basic standards of civility, but I think the moderation has gone a little over the top lately. There were just numerous posts removed from the mfi/rsi thread that while a little rowdy and off-topic perhaps, did not rise to the level of warranting deletion, IMO. At least they wouldn't have been deleted in the past. My own comment was simply "wow, that escalated quickly" and was deleted. Another post of mine was recently deleted where I simply suggested that a given thread sounded like trolling to me.

The thing is, disagreements are going to happen, things are going to go off-topic sometimes, and occasionally things are even going to get a little heated. I think that should be expected and accepted - it's just how humans communicate. Forums like this should be a place for casual discussion, and casual discussions often wander a little and include disagreements. As long as no one is threatening violence or using overly vulgar language or the discussion is going way off track or degenerating into nothing but a continuous tirade of personal insults, I think threads should be allowed to run their course.

Of course moderation is subjective to a large degree and not everyone is always going to be in 100% agreement with every moderation decision. That's fine, but I think this place is going to get really boring really quick if this trend continues the way it has the past few days.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Hey Remi, thanks for your feedback. It's truly is appreciated.
My own comment was simply "wow, that escalated quickly" and was deleted.
This post was removed because others were removed because they violated our rules (See rules here.) If I left yours there after removing the others, it wouldn't have made any sense.
Another post of mine was recently deleted where I simply suggested that a given thread sounded like trolling to me.
Yes, I removed that post as well because calling people out as trolls only starts a domino effect.
Please see this thread regarding trolls - from 2011

You've only been here for three years. You haven't had to deal with the things we've had to deal with over the past 12. We've learned that we have to 'nip things in the bud' before they get out of control.

I am all for the CL's enforcing basic standards of civility, but I think the moderation has gone a little over the top lately.
Moderation of a community, especially one as large as this one, is very tricky. We want conversations to run their course, but when they start violating our rules, especially our Be Polite rule, they will be removed.