CCT: Vent. Transports Gone Wrong. Air or Ground

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
We just bought the ReVel vent. I'm looking forward to using it, does anyone here have any experience with it?

We aren't critical care but we routinely do vent transports and the current vent we use (haven't started using the ReVels yet) is a nightmare. It's the "ALS CareVent". Basically a demand valve with some RR tied to a set TV. Unless they're completely out every transport is a nightmare requiring lots of coaching and sedation. It's borderline cruel to transport these vent dependent patients who may only be on PS on this thing.

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
Page 179 of the MD EMS provider protocols, most certainly a BLS skill.

Yea, I'd more than likely lose my license for doing something like that. In my state, even a medic can't replace a trach. It's monitor the airway(that they have left) and load and go.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I am about to start using the Oxylog 5000 plus. Anyone have experience with this? Anything I should be aware of (good or bad)?

We just bought the ReVel vent. I'm looking forward to using it, does anyone here have any experience with it?

I have not used either one but have heard good things about both of them. Is it the Revel or the Revel Enve that does an APRV mode?

Which modes do they do?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Seems like it's rare that I was using an LTV1200 for a transport vent for CCT calls.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Seems like it's rare that I was using an LTV1200 for a transport vent for CCT calls.

My evil empire has an LTV1200 for CCT calls as well. Our 911 trucks are getting the parapaqs for basically just hands free bagging

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I'm just an EMT, ain't no expert on ventilators, but I am fascinated by them.

I've used the ReVel before (ie played with it, not used on a patient). I've seen it used at multiple companies in the San Francisco Bay Area. I've only seen the LTV once. ReVel is easy to use, has BiPAP, and it's light. Two most common issues I've seen with it is the screen turning off and trying to start BiPAP mode.

When the internal battery, T-battery, charge is low, the screen to the vent will turn off, which is obviously alarming to many who don't know about this feature. The ventilator will continue to work, the screen can be turned back on by pressing any button I believe, I just press the yellow silence/alarm button personally. It will alarm about the T-battery frequently when the power is low. The T-battery exist so you can transfer the external battery without interrupting the ventilator. Charging the gentilator by plugging it in to the wall is how you recharge the T-battery (has nothing to do with charging the external battery).

For BiPAP, you just need to connect the circuit and mask to the patient, and it'll start, but people are stumped cause it's not starting prior to applying it to the patient. You can also turn the knob from IPAP, EPAP, and ventilate. By selecting ventilate, it'll start without being connected to the patient, but immediately alarm and stop until you connect it to the patient.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
The LTV1200 is a solid vent. It's what I've used for most of my career.

I think the newer vents mostly are just smaller and lighter; I don't think they actually do anything more than the 1200 in the way of modes or important settings. I'm sure they have some nice little features that the LTV doesn't, and are probably easier to use in some cases. By my understanding is that their primary advantage is less size and weight. Which is not an insignificant thing.

On the other hand I did hear about one including an inverse-ratio APRV-like mode; maybe that was the Revel Enve? Not sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Not sure what APRV mode is. Wikipedia has a page dedicated to it though so I'll read that soon.

Medic2409

Forum Lieutenant
CCT, LDT>2 hours, using an EMV. Something on the truck caused an overpressure of Oxygen to the vent, causing a catastrophic vent failure. The vent effectively shut shut down and locked me out, leaving me unable to even give a manual breath. I had to pop it off and start manually bagging while trying to figure out just what in the world went wrong. Turns out we had a bad regulator at the main tank. By completely shutting the vent off, disconnecting and bleeding the O2 supply line, removing a Christmas Tree, and re-connecting to the oxygen supply I was able to get the vent to function again.