Career Day ideas?

xshellyx

Forum Probie
Hey everyone!
So tomorrow my partner and I are taking the ambulance to an elementary school for their annual Career Day. I know the kids will be interested and excited in just about anything having to do with the ambulance, but are there any suggestions out there of small activities to do or lessons to teach them without getting too in depth? Im thinking teach them how to find their pulse, listen with the stethoscope, maybe sit on the gurney, wrap a bandage, turn on the red lights etc. Any other ideas? :) thanks!

Anjel

Forum Angel
Hey everyone!
So tomorrow my partner and I are taking the ambulance to an elementary school for their annual Career Day. I know the kids will be interested and excited in just about anything having to do with the ambulance, but are there any suggestions out there of small activities to do or lessons to teach them without getting too in depth? Im thinking teach them how to find their pulse, listen with the stethoscope, maybe sit on the gurney, wrap a bandage, turn on the red lights etc. Any other ideas? :) thanks!

If you do the stethoscope thing just make sure you have plenty of alcohol pads.

Tour of the ambulance they will def be impressed with the lights. Throw in a horn honking or siren every now and again. That will be great for them.

Doesn't take much to amuse the little ones.

medicstudent101

Forum Lieutenant
Just think back to when you were that age. Remember how impressed & excited you were watching an ambulance all lit up like a Christmas tree?
I sure do. Honestly, anything you do they'll be more than impressed by. But a must would be letting the turn the lights on, along with a few yelps with the occasional air-horn thrown in the mix! For sure let them put the good ol' stethoscope around their neck and I'm positive there will be nothing but smiles all around. Heck, your inner child may just come out too ;)
HAVE FUN!!

beandip4all

Forum Lieutenant
Just did one of these a few weeks ago, and I've been doing them every year since I became an EMT. Love these events! The kids have such great enthusiasm and curiosity.

Big hits:
- I turn on the suction and let them all try it out
- don and doff the HAZMAT-suit!
- hand powered suction let them pass it around
- lights and sirens, por supesto
- if you want to get really fancy you can show them how to fill up a non-rebreather.

Kids love questions- ask THEM questions. Take something random out of the jump bag and let them figure out/guess what it's for. What's an OPA for? How about an NPA? Did this with C-collars and was really impressed that they almost always knew what it was for, without it even being put together.

Depending on how long you have, you can always run a "fake" call... we did one with full zombie makeup, brought the gurney over, etc.

Our seminar was actually part of a Science and Math career day, and at the end of the event, I'm happy to report all the kids voted us the TOP EXHIBIT last year! I think that was 70% lights and sirens ;)

Have a great day! I'm sure they'll love it whatever you decide to go with.

DillR

Forum Crew Member
In addition to everything above, we had a bunch of D.A.R.E kickballs and other little toys we give away if the kids answered questions like "what number to call in an emergency" etc. etc.

samiam

Amazing Member
sirens and stickers!!!! everyone loves stickers also maybe lsb the principle that would be fun!!

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
The kids like having their rhythm strip taken, having a c-collar applied briefly, show them a sling and swathe, put them in the stair chair and roll them around and maybe lift them up once. If they're young, turn on the suction and play like you're going to suck out their boogies. Some of this may be impractical if they just herd the kids through instead of a few coming up at a time, or getting groups for fifteen minutes or so.

Get them a photo op in the driver's seat, or in the Capt's chair giving you BVM vents.

OP
OP
X

xshellyx

Forum Probie
Thanks for all the ideas! The day went really well and was alot of fun. We ended up talking to 5th and 6th graders, and did more of an explanation of our job with questions and answers. The kids were excited when we hooked a few lucky volunteers on the monitor, they even left the electrode patches on their arms so that everyone would know that they got to help the ambulance crew! haha. The questions became interesting fast, because at that age the kids are interested and curious about death. Had alot of questions about dead babies for some reason, but my partner and I were quick to say we try to help as much as possible, and then changed the subject. Overall a really good experience, its amazing how smart kids are at that age.