cardiac arrest tips and tricks you have learned along the way...?

NESDMEDIC

Forum Crew Member
Had a patient a couple day's ago with HX of alcholism and esophogial varices. Predicted difficult intubation. esophogial varices is a contraindiction for a combitube for my back up plan for establishing an airway. Airway was a grade 3 to 4 , used the bougie was able to get the tube first try, bougie's are inexpensive and can definataly aid you in a difficult situation. For nasal intubations I also use the ET tubes that have the ring with a cord attached to the distal end that allows you to move the distal end anteriorally when you pull the ring these also help when nasally intubating.

remote_medic

Forum Crew Member
If I can add a comment here...this is the most civil and intelligent thread I've read on here in a long time. No name calling, no education bashing...just good ole fashion discussion and experience sharing.

Lets see more topics like this please!!!

Chris

OP
OP
T

tazman7

Forum Crew Member
so back to the question on my pt being clinched.

Now we know that you can attempt nasal intubation. But what would cause the pt to still be clinched down after being pulseless, with agaonal breaths and in vfib?

pt entire body was limp except his jaw.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Multiple neurological conditions, such as peripheral neuropathy for example, can cause nerve impulse transmission delays or alterations. These can potentially cause an increased calcium influx into the cell due to inappropriate signals from the CNS and cause hyper-excitibility of skeletal muscles, thus causing rigidity. Think of it as a V-fib of the skeletal muscles in a way. It can also occur due to certain auto-immune issues. It can actually be common during the initial stages of an arrest as the brain is still being oxygenated by the body's reserve (3-4ish minutes).

Trismus itself can be caused by a multitude of issues. More commonly is a trigeminal nerve (CN V) deficiency. Also a common cause is excessive ecstacy use. Others include peritonsillar abscess and TMJ.

Keep something in mind though, we are no longer intubating first thing in a code. Wait a few minutes and use good ventilation with a BVM and OPA / NPA's. Give it a few minutes, if you are still working them, then drop the tube, they should be relaxed by then.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
T

tazman7

Forum Crew Member
Keep something in mind though, we are no longer intubating first thing in a code. Wait a few minutes and use good ventilation with a BVM and OPA / NPA's. Give it a few minutes, if you are still working them, then drop the tube, they should be relaxed by then.

Wow thanks,

yeah thats what we did I tried intubating right when I got there because the fd was doing cpr and bagging for approx 3-4 minutes before we arrived.

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
Man, you almost had it, you were putting up a really good fight until the end.

Google "contraindications to Nasal Intubation" and there it is; in many printed formats that apnea IS considered a contraindication to nasaling a patient. Backing up your statements with evidentiary documentation is part of proficient critical thinking. If you know you are right, then stick to your guns. It will make you a stronger and more respected medic.

Alas, falling back on the "I was taught this way" and "its in my protocols" is the very premise restricting us from being able to advance our career. We must know the why's!

Please do not take this as a personal attack, I just find it very frustrating when medics make a solid statement, but fail to produce the proof of why. Consider this part of a life long advancement of education.......................

I stand behind my opinion, before I tell you why, lets look at what the professionals say. In the United states, there is a professional opinion that is not only accepted by medical professionals, but also those within the legal system. That would be the professional views from Dr. Ron Walls. In his book, "Manual of Emergency Airway Management", he clearly outlines various algorhithms that truly define airway management. It is on the foundation of this accepted manual and beliefs that I base my view.

So lets look at this scenerio..................

Clenched patient, apnic (o.k. I know that this is a highly unusual circumstance having these two together, but I digress as it can potentially happen), no RSI available. So in essence, you have a "can't intubate" situation. Hopefully, you can still oxygenate with patent nasal passages. If so, then simply assist ventilations with a BVM and get them to more definitive care. If not, as in the assumed scenerio, you now have a "can't intubate, can't oxygenate" (CICO) situation. There is generally only one solution; immediate tube cricothyrotomy. There is only one possible exception to the "CICO = immediate cric" rule; the ability to rapidly place an extraglottic airway device simultaneously with the preparation of the cric (Walls - Manual of Emergency Airway Management, Ch.2-19). In other words, if you can pass a device and successfully turn a CICO into a simply "can't intubate, but CAN ventilate" situation, then you may forego the cric.

Now lets take it a step even further and actually truly secure the airway while simultaneously setting up for the cric. How is it possible, dropping an ET tube on an apnic patient will take longer and is significantly more difficult?!?!?!?!? Or is it?????

In today's age of EMS, we have all sorts of new toys that help with intubation. One of those is the GUM elastic bougie................See where I am going with this??????

How do we perform intubation on grade III or IV airways? We use the bougie to blindly guide us. This is the same concept. Insert the ETT into the nasal passage and hold in the posterior nasopharynx. Slide the bougie through and aim anteriorly, wait for the "clicking" feeling when the bougie slides against the tracheal rings and the advance the tube. It really is that simple and can be done in a matter of seconds. Try it sometime...........

Now of course, RSI would be the ideal remedy as also viewed by Dr. Walls. Also, again the likelihood of having an apnic and clenched pt. is unlikely. But, more people are likely to have bougies than RSI it seems as many medical directors are still shying away from it. Thats a separate argument all in itself!

Hope this was somewhat insightful. Maybe I'll start doing some more scenerios like I used to do a while back. Ever since getting back to the US, I have been re-introduced to the failed education shortcomings of many in EMS. Since we are all here as one happy dysfunctional family, why not have an educational experience when we read throught these threads. Unless we want to continue the current trends of bashing and pointless discussions on TV show similarities and differences. Besides, it will help keep me out of trouble (well, maybe not!).

Stay safe everyone!

Or we could just cut this one in a million son of a gun and go on with life. That’s what my gut is telling me at least. I think it would depend a lot on the provider and we have a long way to go to reach the kind of proficiency you’re advocating here. Anyway, I know this was as much theoretical as anything else, so good point.

djmedic913

Forum Lieutenant
Man, you almost had it, you were putting up a really good fight until the end.

Google "contraindications to Nasal Intubation" and there it is; in many printed formats that apnea IS considered a contraindication to nasaling a patient. Backing up your statements with evidentiary documentation is part of proficient critical thinking. If you know you are right, then stick to your guns. It will make you a stronger and more respected medic.

Alas, falling back on the "I was taught this way" and "its in my protocols" is the very premise restricting us from being able to advance our career. We must know the why's!

Please do not take this as a personal attack, I just find it very frustrating when medics make a solid statement, but fail to produce the proof of why. Consider this part of a life long advancement of education.......................

I stand behind my opinion, before I tell you why, lets look at what the professionals say. In the United states, there is a professional opinion that is not only accepted by medical professionals, but also those within the legal system. That would be the professional views from Dr. Ron Walls. In his book, "Manual of Emergency Airway Management", he clearly outlines various algorhithms that truly define airway management. It is on the foundation of this accepted manual and beliefs that I base my view.

So lets look at this scenerio..................

Clenched patient, apnic (o.k. I know that this is a highly unusual circumstance having these two together, but I digress as it can potentially happen), no RSI available. So in essence, you have a "can't intubate" situation. Hopefully, you can still oxygenate with patent nasal passages. If so, then simply assist ventilations with a BVM and get them to more definitive care. If not, as in the assumed scenerio, you now have a "can't intubate, can't oxygenate" (CICO) situation. There is generally only one solution; immediate tube cricothyrotomy. There is only one possible exception to the "CICO = immediate cric" rule; the ability to rapidly place an extraglottic airway device simultaneously with the preparation of the cric (Walls - Manual of Emergency Airway Management, Ch.2-19). In other words, if you can pass a device and successfully turn a CICO into a simply "can't intubate, but CAN ventilate" situation, then you may forego the cric.

Now lets take it a step even further and actually truly secure the airway while simultaneously setting up for the cric. How is it possible, dropping an ET tube on an apnic patient will take longer and is significantly more difficult?!?!?!?!? Or is it?????

In today's age of EMS, we have all sorts of new toys that help with intubation. One of those is the GUM elastic bougie................See where I am going with this??????

How do we perform intubation on grade III or IV airways? We use the bougie to blindly guide us. This is the same concept. Insert the ETT into the nasal passage and hold in the posterior nasopharynx. Slide the bougie through and aim anteriorly, wait for the "clicking" feeling when the bougie slides against the tracheal rings and the advance the tube. It really is that simple and can be done in a matter of seconds. Try it sometime...........

Now of course, RSI would be the ideal remedy as also viewed by Dr. Walls. Also, again the likelihood of having an apnic and clenched pt. is unlikely. But, more people are likely to have bougies than RSI it seems as many medical directors are still shying away from it. Thats a separate argument all in itself!

Hope this was somewhat insightful. Maybe I'll start doing some more scenerios like I used to do a while back. Ever since getting back to the US, I have been re-introduced to the failed education shortcomings of many in EMS. Since we are all here as one happy dysfunctional family, why not have an educational experience when we read throught these threads. Unless we want to continue the current trends of bashing and pointless discussions on TV show similarities and differences. Besides, it will help keep me out of trouble (well, maybe not!).

Stay safe everyone!

I have brought this idea to my education department and there was a discussion over it. They seemed intrigued. They are quite interested in the idea.

Have you ever done this technique? I have never nasally intubated anyone..never had a need, so not opportunities for me to nasally intubate ever presented itself.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
I have, twice.

Once on a cadaver during a skills lab.

Once for a pt. with trismus, apnic thanks to an overzealous anesthesiologist.

As Guardian said, this is one of those "one-in-a-million" presentations, but still one that is feasible.

OP
OP
T

tazman7

Forum Crew Member
As Guardian said, this is one of those "one-in-a-million" presentations, but still one that is feasible.

Yeah and it had to happen to me as a new medic. This was my first code since getting my medic license...learn stuff everyday.

Just read the paper, guy ended up passing away 3 days later in the icu. :unsure:

SurgeWSE

Forum Crew Member

The premise also extends into other, more common scenarios (i.e. COPDer in extremis, MDMA OD, APE advanced to resp. failure, apneic status seizure, metabolic coma, etc.), so it is something worth exploring further. I would imagine that the reason most protocols contraindicate NTI in apneic patients is that the writers assume that the procedure will be done in a specific fashion. Ideally, we'd be using a soft, trigger tube (Endotrol, et al.) with a BAAM whistle and be operating in a calm, quiet environment (hah!). The primary reason for advancing the tube during inhalation it to prevent damage to the vocal chords and to prevent any associated subglotic hematoma or stenosis, but let's face it, NTI is a messy process and if you're performing it, is likely a critical intervention. Obviously, a BAAM whistle is going to be useless if the person is apneic, but we've done NTI with a standard tube and no BAAM for years using only cric. pressure and silent prayers, so it is quite possible.

On a personal note, I hate using Versed to alleviate clenching. Anecdotally, it has failed for me more times than it has worked. In a situation where we are simply attempting to sedate someone to facilitate ETI, it's fine, but if a clenched jaw is the problem it's just not the right tool for the job. Until RSI is more mainstream, NTI will remain a necessary skill. With the addition of CPAP, I've seen my personal number of NTIs drop significantly (haven't nasally intubated a CHFer in the 6 months since we got CPAP). While that's certainly a good thing, it means that our proficiency as a group with nasal tubes is going to suffer. Like with other skills, it becomes easier and less intimidating with practice (things like properly positioning the tube once it's in the nasopharynx, applying the correct amount of cric. pressure, and knowing sensation of a tube passing through the crycoid membrane beneath your fingers, etc.), so manikin and cadaver training is a must.

It's interesting to hear about using a Bougi and the stethoscope trick. One of my complaints about the BAAM is that I have used it twice during extrications and couldn't hear a thing, so next time that scenario comes up I'll have to flip a coin and decide which alternative to try.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Since this has turned into a great airway discussion during arrests.... I was wondering if anyone runs at a service that uses the Glidescope and has any good patient uses to share? We were taught how to use the Glidescope in class and got to practice with it which seemed to be a very nice tool.

At the service I do my field clinicals, the EMS supervisor units each have a Glidescope... too expensive to equip 6 or 7 Paramedic ambulances.

quewiwi

Forum Probie
Wow. Just joined the forum today and i have already learned a ton from this one thread, thank-you!

Now, my comments, lol!

I too was taught that apnea was a contraindication to NTI and our current protocol also states this. I greatly appreciate all the insight and info regarding alternate techniques. We will never have capnography or CPAP where I work so this has been helpful.

Also, as far as the discussion regarding continuing care and transporting the continually unresponsive code pt. vs. calling on scene; I also feel that as emergency medical professionals we have a responsibility to the public to act respectful and compassionate. Remember that the pt may be just another code to us but they are likely the world to the person standing by and watching you work them. We see death and hold it in our hands everyday, the average person never sees it, except on t.v.. Whatever you think that person standing by is already thinking about or already knows that the pt. is dead is irrelevant. They are watching everything and will process it all later. I feel it is our obligation to give them peace of mind that every possible thing was done to try and revive their loved one so that they may begin the grieving process fully and move on with their life.

I'll shut up now :D

reaper

Working Bum
If pt is viable! If they are dead, they are dead.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
We will never have capnography or CPAP where I work so this has been helpful.
I'm going to try to be as civil as possible, but...

If you are placing endotracheal tubes without continuous waveform capnography your service's practice is negligent. In this day in age with easily available, relatively inexpensive and reliable ETCO2 and/or extraglotic airways there's no reason to keep placing tubes without waveform capnography or eliminate them all together.

I understand we didn't use to have waveform capnography and we placed tubes. Cars also didn't have seatbelts at one point, does that mean we shouldn't utilize them? (and yes I put these on par with one another). I also understand the technology may fail. However, that should fall under the "extraordinary occurrence" category.

I feel it is our obligation to give them peace of mind that every possible thing was done to try and revive their loved one so that they may begin the grieving process fully and move on with their life.
Transporting can interfere with the grieving process by giving false hope. Our FIRST responsibility to render the best care possible to the patient, which can't be done for a cardiac arrest in the back of a moving ambulance. I've been terminating resuscitations in the field for several years. I've never had anyone imply "everything wasn't done". I've usually seen this excuse used by medics who are uncomfortable with the notion of making death determinations and notifying the family of the patient's death.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I feel it is our obligation to give them peace of mind that every possible thing was done to try and revive their loved one so that they may begin the grieving process fully and move on with their life.

Don't know about your service, but I can do every single thing out in the field that a hospital can in a medical cardiac arrest.

I make sure that when I go talk to the family about calling it, I let them know that fact.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Always ask for a DNR

quewiwi

Forum Probie
>sigh<

I am not here to argue.

I am expressing my gratitude to the participants of this thread (up to this point) for providing so much information on these topics.

I work for a private ambulance company so you can preach to them about how inexpensive capnography is and make the case as to why they should invest in equipping our units. They are not very receptive to new ideas there, let alone any that would cost them money. I will, however, be bringin it up to them anyway.

As for declaring death in the field, I am not going to waste my time arguing the moot details of certain scenarios where it is and isn't appropriate, just expressing my opinion on the topic as a whole and one of the many considerations.

And Sasha, yes, thank-you, I always do. :)

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I work for a private ambulance company so you can preach to them about how inexpensive capnography is and make the case as to why they should invest in equipping our units. They are not very receptive to new ideas there, let alone any that would cost them money. I will, however, be bringin it up to them anyway.
A word of advice for this argument. One of the few true areas of legal liability for EMS is misplaced endotracheal tubes. See if you can find out how much equipping your services fleet with waveform capnography would cost. It shouldn't be too hard to find examples of judgements against services for misplaced ETTs. This kinda makes your argument for you.

As for declaring death in the field, I am not going to waste my time arguing the moot details of certain scenarios where it is and isn't appropriate, just expressing my opinion on the topic as a whole and one of the many considerations.
The AHA has some pretty good literature on this, although I don't have it handy. Basically they have the same recommendations as what I stated above. There's more situations where it's appropriate than not. I have found many medics (myself included) are very uncomfortable with family notification initially, however it gets easier with experience.

medicstudent101

Forum Lieutenant
A word of advice for this argument. One of the few true areas of legal liability for EMS is misplaced endotracheal tubes. See if you can find out how much equipping your services fleet with waveform capnography would cost. It shouldn't be too hard to find examples of judgements against services for misplaced ETTs. This kinda makes your argument for you.

The AHA has some pretty good literature on this, although I don't have it handy. Basically they have the same recommendations as what I stated above. There's more situations where it's appropriate than not. I have found many medics (myself included) are very uncomfortable with family notification initially, however it gets easier with experience.

Standard of Care.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Standard of Care.

Standard of care? Standard of care?!? This! Is! EMS!

ARRRRRRRRRRRHHHHHHHH
SPARTA.jpg