Can you sleep OTJ?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
At my old job (and my current job actually), there is a written policy against sleeping. the logic is if you are being paid to be at work, you shouldn't be sleeping.

At my old job, I was woken up numerous times by the supervisor when I was dozing on the couch during the day time. If she had a task for me to do (regardless of how menial) I was always up in 4-10 seconds and did it. It was annoying when she woke me just for the sake of waking me up.

As long as you are doing your job, what's the big issue? so I can spend 6 hours of facebook, watch 4 hours of the same old crappy TV, watch a movie, read a book, have a sandwich, call my mother, call my girlfriend, call my wife, call my baby;s momma, and change clothes 2 times to pass the time during my downtime, but the moment I close my eyes, it's a major problem? talk about a stupid policy.

BTW, as long as you are out the door 2 minutes after dispatch finishes giving you the job, your chores are done, your rig is checked, and everything is clean that you are supposed to clean, who cares what you are doing during your downtime??????

Simiarly, why should you be allowed to sleep during the night and not day? I get tired during the day, and 12 hours is 12 hours. If the call volume permits, and you have your responsibilities completed, it should not matter what time of day it is, as long as you answer the radio/pager when a call is given out.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
We run system status with the few random hard posts. We can sleep provided you answer the radio when hailed and mark en route from the radio on your unit, not a portable, within 60 seconds.

Clock starts when the call taker answers, within reason of course. Can't blame them if ding dong on the other end can't give a location for the call taker to relay to the dispatcher for them to dispatch the unit to. So if it's busy it may take 60-90 seconds to officially dispatch a call rather than just "traffic in the area of x and x". With 8:29 for P1 calls, a 60 second dispatch time and a 60 second chute time you've now cut the mandatory response time to 6 and a half minutes...

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
As long as we respond to the radio quickly, and are on the way to the call, who cares?

I love when civilians come to my truck and go "Do my taxes pay for your sleep?" to which I respond "No, because we aren't funded by your taxes. Must be nice to get a lunch break during your short 8 hour shift"

Devilz311

Forum Crew Member
Current job, not allowed per policy. Do people sleep? Of course.

My last job, sleeping was just about a normal of a routine as the truck-check in the morning. I found it was a lot easier to sleep there, simply because our radios would alert to wake the dead. My current job all of the ALS units use the same tones, so we always have to keep an ear out on a dispatch.

Anjel

Forum Angel
We use SSM.

We are encouraged to sleep as long a we:

Wake up for calls and post change

Don't do so in a public place l like in front of a store.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Just gotta look for the right spots :) also refer to post below.

It must be nice working out in the desert you guys actually have time put put all that up. 20 calls a day for your whole valley we will do in one MoVal shift lol

More like 80-100 with about 14 units on! :p

medicnick83

Forum Lieutenant
I don't sleep on duty - sometimes I take a nap but generally I don't because if I do and then I wake up - I'm very grumpy - so I avoid this by not.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
I work in a fairly rural area with a (sometimes) low call volume. Being that we work 24-72 hr shifts with roughly 6 calls per 24 hr period we get plenty of time to sleep. I have nearly perfected the art of napping and am thinking about writing an instructional book titled "Napping Sutra". It will include positions such as 'Snoring Lotus', 'The Reclining Dog', 'Lazy Cat', and 'Gutter-Dweller's Pose'.

-_- zzzzzz

Impulse

Forum Probie
As long as we respond to the radio quickly, and are on the way to the call, who cares?

I love when civilians come to my truck and go "Do my taxes pay for your sleep?" to which I respond "No, because we aren't funded by your taxes. Must be nice to get a lunch break during your short 8 hour shift"

Civilians?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Civilians?

Pretty sure he means the general public.

Linuss, I too enjoy answering that question...isn't it awesome to work for a Public Utility Model system?

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I sleep at work whenever I can.

My boss has taken pictures of it on his iphone and I still have a job.

So I guess it is ok.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
I work for a private company, and I do get a chuckle out of the people who will walk up to us as we shop for food and huff and say "Our tax money at work!".

:rolleyes:

Ace 227

Forum Lieutenant
Depends on the shift. If I'm working a 24, its pretty much expected that we sleep when we can throughout the day because when the daylight crews go home there are only 3-4 trucks covering the city and we might not see station all night.

If I'm on a 12 or 16 hour shift, I most likely won't be sleeping. Not that I couldn't if I had down time but that is a rarity.