Can I make it?

ghost02

CA Flight Paramedic
Hello,

I am 20 and need some advice. I am considering going into EMS, the idea of helping people appeals to me greatly! :lol: That said, I am not without fault. I have no criminal background, no drug use, nothing illegal. I do have Paranoid delusional disorder, along with depression and severe anxiety, all controlled very well with medication. I have had no issues for the past two years. I tend to get flustered when there is a lot going on, but still keep my head on straight. I love learning, and am in a liberal arts college and doing well. I also have a great sense of humor, and am disciplined.

I just want your honest opinion, would you want someone like me as your partner?

Thank you for your time. ^_^

Arovetli

Forum Captain
If you control your internal issues to the point where they are not an issue, then no one will ever know. Honestly, who knows what each of us struggle or don't struggle with.

Work hard, study hard, be humble and professional. Do that and no one should have a problem with you.

lanceavil

Forum Probie
The thing that worries me is those underlying mental health issues. Nothing against you personally, it's just that in this line of work you need to make quick decisions and you see and experience some really traumatic things, things that can cause pretty severe psychological damage. If you're already prone to those kinds of breaks, this might not be the line of work for you (by you, I'm referring to pretty much anyone in your shoes). I would be worried if my partner was mentally unstable because, to be honest, he might not be able to function when I need him most.

If you really think you can handle it and it's what you want to do, you should go for it, but just keep what I said in mind.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mariemt

Forum Captain
When I started class I had to fill out paper work for a criminal background check and also a paper asking if I had any physical or mental disorders that may cause any issues that could lead to problems caring for others in my future. It was on that paper that asked about any felonies and arrests. It was to go up for review etc.

Could just be my state. If you don't have any illegal activity involved you could probably lie but would that be a very good idea?

Maybe not all places do that.

Mariemt

Forum Captain
Oh and to be truthful, no, I wouldn't want you as my partner. The delusional part concerns me. If it reared its head on a call, it would be disastrous.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Wouldn't be a problem if it's well controlled. Have you talked to your psychiatrist? I know a handful of EMS providers with underlying psychiatric issuers, but they all perform well. Plenty of people have, say, depression, but are well treated (say, with SSRIs) and live like anybody else.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
When I started class I had to fill out paper work for a criminal background check and also a paper asking if I had any physical or mental disorders that may cause any issues that could lead to problems caring for others in my future. It was on that paper that asked about any felonies and arrests. It was to go up for review etc.

Could just be my state. If you don't have any illegal activity involved you could probably lie but would that be a very good idea?

Maybe not all places do that.

What is there to lie about? No employer can automatically disqualify anyone due to a preexisting medical condition. OP: If it comes up on an application be truthful. Talk honestly about your condition, and possibly have your doctor write a statement on your behalf.

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
Perhaps go for your emt-basic and you'll find out during school/clinicals if this is right for you.

Good luck.

OP
OP
ghost02

ghost02

CA Flight Paramedic
Thank you for your thoughts everyone. It is just what I needed to hear. I can, and will do it. Now to just sign up for classes.

Ripper

Forum Ride Along
Thank you for your thoughts everyone. It is just what I needed to hear. I can, and will do it. Now to just sign up for classes.

Stay motivated, keep your personal demons in check and you will be good to go. It wont be easy but nothing worth it ever is! Above all stay focused and motivated, the other stuff will fall in line!

And we all have inner demons, what matters is that you over come them!

Last edited by a moderator:

Trashtruck

Forum Captain
There are PLENTY of crazy-*** mofo's in EMS(and every single other profession on this planet)

Asking somebody to list their mental disorders on an application? That's a social idiocy test.

Some things are best left unspoken.

You'll be fine. Everyone struggles with something inside. Don't let it hold you back.

Mariemt

Forum Captain
What is there to lie about? No employer can automatically disqualify anyone due to a preexisting medical condition. OP: If it comes up on an application be truthful. Talk honestly about your condition, and possibly have your doctor write a statement on your behalf.
It was before we could begin class and it was "issues that could lead to problems caring for others "

Yes you can be disqualified if you tell them " Hey. I may not be able to function properly "

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
It was before we could begin class and it was "issues that could lead to problems caring for others "

Yes you can be disqualified if you tell them " Hey. I may not be able to function properly "

Not automatically though. Being truthful does not mean they can just pitch your application without talking to you.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
I do have Paranoid delusional disorder, along with depression and severe anxiety... I just want your honest opinion, would you want someone like me as your partner?

^_^

If you have to ask that tells me you're not too sure if you'd be a good partner. You know what's up with this and YOU are the one who has to evaluate whether or not an episode of severe anxiety would impact your ability to function. In that respect, I agree with others; put your toes in the water first, see how you respond and then be honest with yourself.

As far as the rest, I can't count the number of partners I had who had everything you do but without the diagnosis!

In psychiatry, IMHO diagnosis is speculation.