Can EMT-B intubate or start IVs?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I am in Ultrasound school right now and it is not enough for me. I go into the MA lab and practice drawing drawing blood on my best friend. I know IV is much more difficult considering all the variables. My question is are the mechanics the same? If I can draw blood do I have a basic understanding of an IV?
Sort of. Place needle in vein like usual (might be holding the catheter differently compared to a butterfly). Hold needle still, thread catheter off. Tamponade vein, remove catheter, place tubing on hub.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I am in Ultrasound school right now and it is not enough for me. I go into the MA lab and practice drawing drawing blood on my best friend. I know IV is much more difficult considering all the variables. My question is are the mechanics the same? If I can draw blood do I have a basic understanding of an IV?

Sort of. Place needle in vein like usual (might be holding the catheter differently compared to a butterfly). Hold needle still, thread catheter off. Tamponade vein, remove catheter, place tubing on hub.

Actually the technique is slightly different from using a butterfly for lab draws. Getting the needle into the vein isn't really the hard part. It's threading the catheter into the vein. Sure, sometimes the vein is wide and shallow which makes it very easy to go through the "back wall" but I find that more often the trouble is threading the catheter when the patient's skin is very tough. Tough skin can really "grab" the catheter and cause all sorts of havoc with placement, even if you anchor the skin and vein well. One minor caveat to this is some of this difficulty depends upon the type of catheter you're using. I never had this problem when I used the "ProtectIV" catheters because you advanced the hub using the same hand you hold the needle assembly with. This allowed my "free" hand to maintain consistent tension and not have to worry too much about the aforementioned skin toughness-catheter grab problem.

EMT533

The Rookie
Ok thank you! I noticed that there are many different types of IV catheters. Is there a 'universal' type of IV the EMT and Paramedics are required to use?

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
No. I don't even have the same brand of IV cath in my bag every day. Different hospitals restock different brands, and I've used various other types at different services and hospitals.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Ok thank you! I noticed that there are many different types of IV catheters. Is there a 'universal' type of IV the EMT and Paramedics are required to use?
Do you mean a universal brand/style? No. Whatever your department decides is the one you'll use.

EMT533

The Rookie
You answered my question. It's just based on what the department uses. Thank you! Sorry about the misspelled words. I'm typing very fast.

Giant81

Forum Lieutenant
Not in WI

As a basic I can administer a few medications, none of which are IV since IV is not a basic skill.

As for airways, I cannot intubate, but I can use a superglottic airway (combi/king/igel), OPA, NPA, but no intubation

To start IV's you need to be an EMT-A or Paramedic level. intubation is not allowed until paramedic level.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Same in TX.
Not true. If your medical director says a basic can start IVs and tube, then they can. And a lot of places allow intermediates to tube.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I know intermediatesame can but I was unaware basics were even trained.
They aren't trained in school. It's very agency-specific. Like TJ said, it's up to the medical director. Texas doesn't have a state scope.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
EMT's in Colorado can start IV's. They have to take a mandatory IV certification course.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Are there any agencies in Texas that still allow EMTs to intubate? I understand they can, but I can't imagine it's common with the proliferation of ALS services and supraglottic airways.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
EMT's in Colorado can start IV's. They have to take a mandatory IV certification course.
I was always a big proponent for this skill set, but only for paid EMTs who see a fairly decent call volume and are assisting their paramedic partner. I loved working with a medic and being able to do this for them on scene or on a BLS transport for a basic saline lock and labs, but I hated going to rural areas and having the vollie EMT blow 5+ IV attempts because they only run a couple calls a year.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Are there any agencies in Texas that still allow EMTs to intubate? I understand they can, but I can't imagine it's common with the proliferation of ALS services and supraglottic airways.
I'm sure there are a couple, but it's by no means common. Presidio EMS comes to mind, but they're hardly a common EMS system for any level. King tubes are pretty prevalent at the EMT level, though.