Can anyone name all the different types of EMS providers there are in the USA?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere

Read the responses above yours and add any you know which are not there. Suggest you spell them out, not acronyms or initials. Regional oddities welcome, this could get to be fun.
One rule: looking for something with a certificate or degree, not just a descriptor like "little league nurse", "movie medic", and "rodeo clown rescuer".
Unless it has a training school and a sheepskin.;)
OKAY..........GO!

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
You...you... cheater!

PS--- You got Texas' Intermediate wrong =P

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
It'd only be cheating if I didn't make the list.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

JPINFV, awesome!! Linus, congrats on the "qweeksdraw".

Where are the PHTLS's, Advanced First Aiders, Wilderness something or others, USAF Pararescue, et al?

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
Where are the PHTLS's, Advanced First Aiders, Wilderness something or others, USAF Pararescue, et al?

Those are non govermental certifications or training.

I do reckon that he has searched through each states DOH website to find what they recognize.

USAF Pararescue program is not a cert at all, but a job. Their training includes EMS training, escape and survival, a LOT of swimming, aircraft familiarization, and how to safely extract a downed pilot.

medic417

The Truth Provider

Those are just like Critical Care Paramedic actually just alphabet courses not actual titles. I will never attach the alphabet courses to my name.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Those are just like Critical Care Paramedic actually just alphabet courses not actual titles. I will never attach the alphabet courses to my name.

There are a few states like Ohio that do have this cert at the state level.
But, usually an employer just hands out the title after a few hours of training.

There are also those that take the UMBC CCEMTP course letters to mean Critical EMT-P by sticking a hyphen in it when it actually means Critical Care Emergency Transport Program and other professionals (RNs, RRTs, PAs) can also use those letters. But, very few of these professionals choose to do so since it is considered another alphabet course by some.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru

Actually in some states CCEMT-P is an actual title or license. I agree such courses as PHTLS, ACLS, are not truly certification rather they are continuing education courses. As well, Maryland course does represent Critical Care Transport but also may represent Critical Care Paramedic as they have the trademark and one can have either title if they are a licensed Paramedic.
Ironically I replaced my NREMT-P with CCEMT/P both are just a certification and in my opinion not as important as another. I will be happy when the new national standard title(s) are enforced.. i.e no longer EMT-Paramedic; rather Paramedic.

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:

medic417

The Truth Provider
Actually in some states CCEMT-P is an actual title or license. I agree such courses as PHTLS, ACLS, are not truly certification rather they are continuing education courses.
Ironically I replaced my NREMT-P with CCEMT/P both are just a certification and in my opinion not as important as another. I will be happy when the new national standard title(s) are enforced.. i.e no longer EMT-Paramedic; rather Paramedic.

R/r 911

Srry my bad. In states that actually have it as a true cert I guess I would have to use it. But I hate how some put all the alphabet courses like they are real titles.

mikie

Forum Lurker
Wow!

For those who read JPINFV's great Wikipedia article...anyone else find this a little odd?

Montana:
EMT-Basic*

* Airway
* Monitoring
* IV and IO initiation
* IV and IO maintenance

* Endotracheal intubation
* Medication
Let's not start an argument here, but really...IO's?!

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I would imagine there is extensive training and a lot of QI...perhaps it is permissible because of long Tx time?

Yep, our MPD initiated the program and actually bought the first set of needles for all the agencies in his district out of his own pocket.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Google my OP for "government"...oops, not there.

How about "Snickerdoodle Rangers" or some such?
How about certificates for mine rescue, swamp EMS, etc.? I keep hearing about "Tactical EMS", anyone got it? Pile on the genuine alphabets (no hallucinations please).
For instance, it did not change my AFSC, but once I passed the rescue school then at Chanute AFB in Illinois, I was able to call myself a rescueman, I had a school certificate, but no AFSC meant no official title change. Best job there, though (although I would have liked to meet "Pedro"...).