Can anyone name all the different types of EMS providers there are in the USA?

mikie

Forum Lurker
JPINFV,Kentucky info is wrong.We don't have an intermediate.We did just create an emt-advanced.

Being Wikipedia is open to everyone, go head and change it (just be sure to provide a source or it'll get rejected)

RESQ_5_1

Forum Lieutenant
Technically, by definition of the root origins, anyone in EMS can be considered a Paramedic. The prefix "Para" comes from that Latin "Paratus" meaning "Ready". Thus, the word "Prepare" means "to make ready". "Paramedic" can be translated to mean "Ready Medic". When I was in Air Defense in the Army (shooting down planes....hahaha), our motto was "Semper Paratus"-Always Ready.

I'm sure someone will mention it, so I will first. "Para" can also mean "Auxillary" or "Alongside of". Again, this could be defined as "Auxillary Medic". Much like women's Auxillaries of some Military Veteran's groups or organizations such as the Elks or Rotary clubs. Or, even some Paramilitary groups that are affiliated with certain branches and are geared towards youth intending on entering that branch when they are old enough.

That being said, Either definition allows use of the title "Paramedic" by any person in EMS.

Last edited by a moderator:

VentMedic

Forum Chief
JPINFV,Kentucky info is wrong.We don't have an intermediate.We did just create an emt-advanced.

It there any doubt as to why the public or even other EMS providers don't know who or what those in EMS are? JPINFV just put that site together last year.

JPINFV

Gadfly

I've removed it since I just took a look at the Kentucky site and I can't find anything to support that edit. Someone added that anonymously. Do you have a source for the Advanced EMT-B instead of EMT-B?

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
RES Q 51 put down the pipe.

Paramedic is like paraprofessional . Goofy....:wacko:

Summit

Critical Crazy
EMT-INFINITY!!!!111!!!one!

EMT-
rune-infinity.gif

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Cute, Summit

..........................fingers drumming............

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Washington State

In WA we have 8 cert. levels.

First Responder
EMT-Basic
IV Technician (EMT-Basic with IV therapy skills)
Airway Technician (EMT-Basic with ET skills)
IV/Airway Technician (EMT-Basic with IV therapy and ET skills) (duh)
EMT-Intermediate
EMT-Intermediate Airway Technician(EMT-Intermediate with ET skills)
Paramedic

You can see the list and basic capabilities here:
http://www.doh.wa.gov/hsqa/emstrauma/download/emssop.pdf

Scriptor

Forum Probie
MA first responder

In that wiki list, MA is missing the first reponder level. Though not an EMT, and not required to become an EMT, the first responder level is available for the layperson to train in. I did it before I took my EMT training and it helped a lot. Only thing you can't do as a frist responder that you can as an EMT-b is get paid for it. Some departments will award stipends, but it's rare to get the work around here.