Calling all Texans!!!

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm looking to move down to Texas in the near future, and am lost as to where to move to. I'm thinking DFW or Houston. You all have any thoughts or suggestions that could help me out?

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
I guess it depends on what you are looking for from a city. No disrespect to my El Paso people (killtank) But I don't recommend El Paso. High wind gusts, monsoon season = flooding, sands storms, no green, absolutely nothing to do.

I didn't mind Dallas and really liked San Antonio but I haven't been to Houston.

OP
OP
HotelCo

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Oh, I've been to El Paso and have ruled that out completely. I haven't thought about San Antonio, I should check that out.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Depends do you want country life or city life?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Anywhere but here!

Actually, DFW has the biggest transplant population of northerners. I like it here. Infaxt, anywhere around the Metroplex is great because you're within an hour of anything you'll ever want.

And assuming you have your medic by then, you have your choice of private 911, 3rd service, and fire based ems.

Subliminal

Forum Probie
I live in San Antonio, its nice and hot down here. Like Linuss said about DFW, you can get to anything you want up there.

Medic744

Forum Captain
Gotta love Houston. I have never lived anywhere else but I have visited and my top choice of places to work is here and then Austin.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Might look at Abilene, San Angelo, Temple, Midland, Odessa, Lubbock, Amarillo if you want things to do but don't want to deal with so many people or so much pollution.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Like everywhere, depends on the location, but I constantly see openings for medics in DFW and the surrounding counties.

AlphaButch

Forum Lieutenant
Nope, no openings in Houston. Nothing to see here, move along..move along. :D

Seriously, there are openings all over Texas, but it would really depend on what type of atmosphere you're looking at working in.

OP
OP
HotelCo

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Nope, no openings in Houston. Nothing to see here, move along..move along. :D

Seriously, there are openings all over Texas, but it would really depend on what type of atmosphere you're looking at working in.

I'm not picky. I'll shovel manure from one pile to another if you pay me.

But seriously, I'm looking to work on an ambulance, preferably a 911 response truck. But, like I said, I'm not picky.

medic417

The Truth Provider
I'm not picky. I'll shovel manure from one pile to another if you pay me.

But seriously, I'm looking to work on an ambulance, preferably a 911 response truck. But, like I said, I'm not picky.

New Paramedic doing 911 will probably mean going smaller town. If you want to be near a big city like Dallas look maybe at Granbury.

http://www.granburyhoodems.com/

Near San Antonio maybe Uvalde.

http://www.uvaldepd.com/Contact Us.html They are not with PD but it has their phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

tallmike

Forum Ride Along
Texas has just about anything you want in a city, there is something for everyone.

Like lots of people? Dallas

Like lots of crime? Houston

Like small town feel in a big city? San Antonio

Like more liberal big cities? Austin

Like the desert? El Paso

Like small cities? Waco, Abilene, Amarillo, Temple, Midland, Odessa, etc...

Like small towns? Too many to list.

If you like the suburbs, they surround each big city listed above. You need to decide which city and how far out of that city you are comfortable with.

surname_levi

Forum Crew Member
i just moved from detroit to san antonio area. its nice. good amount of private ambulance services who seem to be hiring all levels

8jimi8

CFRN
I would say Austin or Dallas.

But it really depends on what youa re looking for. You said suburbs, but what about stuff to do outdoors?

I would say Austin > Dallas , San Antonio and Houston for outdoors things to do. Our traffic sucks, but this is truly a small town with large population. We have over 95,000 students. Plenty of lakes, trails and parks.

As far as working as a medic. I think Austin Travis County EMS has one of the busiest systems 20+ calls / 12 hour shift. The medics there are unionized and have city benefits.

Another place I would look at is San Marcos. just about 30 mins south of austin.

good luck in your decision and feel free to pm me if you have any other questions.

8jimi8

CFRN
Near San Antonio maybe Uvalde.

http://www.uvaldepd.com/Contact Us.html They are not with PD but it has their phone.

Might look at Abilene, San Angelo, Temple, Midland, Odessa, Lubbock, Amarillo if you want things to do but don't want to deal with so many people or so much pollution.

This guy must love the country life. Don't move to either of these places unless you like living with a church on every corner, you have a round white snuff ring on the back of your jeans and you are wearing through your 20th pair of cowboy boots.

Sorry... I was born in san angelo. I lived in abilene for a while... it is seriously number 10 in the nation for churches per square mile. There is plenty of pollution in those places. its all over the ground and in the water. You seriously don't want to move someplace where everyone's teeth are brown because the water is too hard (and there isn't enough to support the population).

I have been to all of those cities mentioned and I would not go back to any of them, except to see family. Unless you are looking to take your family and shelter it from modern society, don't listen to the above poster.

Uvalde? Seriously? Really... you said check out Uvalde?

That town isn't even big enough to call it a 1 horse town.

And why would you have to go to a small city as a beginning medic?

Last edited by a moderator: