BVM and OPA question

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
Meanwhile EMS will encourage single person BVM "because you're learned it in basic school."

I was shocked when I did my OR time during medic clinicals and had much more trouble with the BVM than I did with intubating. "BLS skill"...

JPINFV

Gadfly
I was shocked when I did my OR time during medic clinicals and had much more trouble with the BVM than I did with intubating. "BLS skill"...
One of the advantage of the bags on the anesthesiology machines is that they're flow inflated bags. No seal, no bag.

Also, a good seal will induce a head tilt often anyways. You lift the face to the mask, not squish the mask to the face.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
One of the advantage of the bags on the anesthesiology machines is that they're flow inflated bags. No seal, no bag.

Also, a good seal will induce a head tilt often anyways. You lift the face to the mask, not squish the mask to the face.
That took me soo long to figure out. I had the anesthesiologist saying "squeeze the bag" but there was no bag for me to squeeze. Finally they told me how it works.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
If the patient tolerates an OPA, I have to agree. Not to mention that learning to place the LMA is not that difficult.

Yeah but LMAs, at least the ones with the big inflatable doughnut on the end kinda stink. I feel as if they are to easily dislodged. Weve pretty much gone away from them and replaced them with the King. Though those newish iGels look slick, has anyone played with them

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Yeah but LMAs, at least the ones with the big inflatable doughnut on the end kinda stink. I feel as if they are to easily dislodged. Weve pretty much gone away from them and replaced them with the King. Though those newish iGels look slick, has anyone played with them

Yeah. We've moved to iGels for SGA airways. They're pretty slick.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

It certainly facilitates learning to mask well.

FWIW.....during my anesthesia training, learning to mask really well was considered absolutely fundamental......in contrast, in my paramedic training, it was like "yeah, you should be pretty good at this....but whatever, let's just intubate the manikin."

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I do think a lot more time needs to be spent on how to get a good seal. I almost wish I could just spend a day in the OR practicing that. I will say the experience I did get in the r has made my bvm skills a lot better. But I also now know I really didn't know what I was doing, no do many emt's.

JPINFV

Gadfly
It certainly facilitates learning to mask well.

FWIW.....during my anesthesia training, learning to mask really well was considered absolutely fundamental......in contrast, in my paramedic training, it was like "yeah, you should be pretty good at this....but whatever, let's just intubate the manikin."
EMS: Must get ET tube in.

Anesthesiologist: Air goes in, air goes out is more important than a PVC challenge.