Burned

Willie

Forum Ride Along
Not sure what to do, I have been a medic for 10 years now and love my job. But I find my mind frame changing from everyone as a medical mystery to everyone is full of it until otherwise proven. I don't enjoy being like that but it had become the norm. Anyone got any experience?

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
switch shifts. get a new partner. take a course (on anything). take a vacation. become a supervisor.

I don't know because I never got burnt out, but you got to change something.

wadford

Forum Crew Member
I agree with beano, change it up. Try taking sometime off, get away from where you live, do something fun. Changing districts (if you can) might help too.

CentralCalEMT

Forum Captain
Sometimes a change of scenery is good. I have worked urban, semi rural, and rural areas When I made the switch from urban to rural EMS, it was like I started a new job as a new EMT. When I became a paramedic, I made sure I work in a system that covers a variety of areas and has a wide variety of calls. New challenges such as access problems, lack of resources, etc made even "routine" calls seem different. Other than that, do what you enjoy on your days off. Do not think about work. Go out in nature, etc. All those things have kept me from getting burned out in the decade I have been in EMS so far.

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
Reduce your hours (if you work a lot of OT and/or are able to reduce hours, I know this isn't always possible) and find a hobby. Something totally different, that you LIKE to do. Clock/watch repair, fixing up vintage WWII era radios, kickboxing, cooking, photography, take a flying lesson (intro flights are only about $100), etc. There's a lot of stuff to do out there that doesn't have anything to do with EMS and can give your mind a break.

Me, personally, I don't find vacations "relaxing". A vacation is a temporary removal from my situation, and when it's over I have to come right back to everything the same way it was. Instead, make changes in your life. Doesn't mean you even have to quit your job, just find something else in your life to find some joy in.

Leatherpuke

Forum Crew Member
If you have the time, try volunteering somewhere. Preferably something NOT ems related. Coach a baseball team, teach kids to fix cars, walk dogs at the local animal shelter.........something.

Or, do what I do. Spend every waking minute of your off time either fishing, hunting, or picking up heavy things at the gym.

SeeNoMore

Old and Crappy
This is how I see it, now saying it will apply to you.

For me not to be burned out I need a few things,

1) To like my place of work and the work I do. Not just EMS/SCTU/HEMS generally, but specifically feeling like I am part of a progressive system. It sounds like you like the work you do, but are not as wowed by the "medical mysteries" anymore. Maybe a change to Critical Care (if you are not already doing that) would help? Or as others have suggested a different type of system.

2) I don't take it personally. I honestly don't care even a little bit if people are full of it. We get a call. I go. Do the best I can. It's over except for reflection and education. Really who cares? It's a job. A job I want to excel at, but it's not my place to wage some crusade against liars and cheats. I feel like a lot of people in EMS thrive on some odd sense of drama. "This call was so bad." "This night was so busy." "This guy who overdose was such a scumbag" I understand venting with your partner, but I try and watch my attitude. It's easy to get sucked into negativity about things we can't control.

3) And most importantly, this is not my life. It's important to me and because it's going to be my career I take it seriously. But what really makes me thrive is my family and my hobbies.

Best.

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
Something I've noticed is that people use the idea of burning out to mean one of two things. Either the job has become too much or it's become too little.

Too much: PTSD and similar struggles, usually spilling over into personal life

Too little: Boredom, which usually channels into frustration with the work and loss of compassion for patients (no fun left, everything's a chore)

These can combine in some tricky ways, but at least I think it's helpful to know which one you're talking about, because they're pretty different.

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
I use it to describe a person who doesn't give a patient 100% because they have experienced poor patient outcome in the past. For example, a person who goes to a scene where a patient has multiple GSWs and barely works it because they "know" the person is going to die anyhow. Every patient deserves 100%.