Bullet Proof Vest!

Hockey

Quackers
There are a bunch of EMT's that I know that work in Springfield, MA that work for AMR that wear armor and a few carry guns. I have also heard of a few that wear armor in Hartford, CT. Both Hartford and Springfield have very high gun crime rates.

There are also other reasons you can wear armor. It doesnt have to just be for stopping bullets. Body armor can also protect your torso in a MVC or when someone punches or attempts to stab you in chest or back. Think of what body armor does. It disperses the energy of a bullet over a greater surface area. This means that it would do the same thing for a steering column or a fist. The energy from the impact would be spread out over a larger area hopefully minimizing damage to yourself. Now in regards to getting stabbed while wearing armor, a knife can still penetrate soft body armor. However there will just be another half an inch of material to get through before the knife hits flesh.

Yeah, no they don't....but cool story

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

Sam Adams

Forum Lieutenant
My dept issues body armor to every one. They offer you an outer or inner carrier. I wear it EVERY day. A bunch of us do. I'm not so much concerned about being shot while in the midst of pt care as I am about the stray bullet. I will say this though, it's warm in the winter, hot in the summer, and protects you from both punches and kicks. You should have seen the look on the guys face who managed to punch and connect with the titanium breast plate.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Because...I've been doing this long enough to know. And if they are stupid enough to carry, they would be out of a job already

100% false. Several members carry at my company. If you carry correctly, and don't talk about it, no one will know.

Last edited by a moderator:

reaper

Working Bum
So it is ok to break the law?

I have seen one person caught carrying on duty. After the charges and losing his job, he then lost his license too. So much worth it!

I have worked in some very bad areas and in 20 years, I have never had a need for a vest or a gun. I personally know 4 medics that were shot on duty. All of them were shot, because they got laxed and did not keep control of their scene. Keep your wits about you and keep situational awareness a top priority and you will be fine.

I never discourage anyone from wearing a vest if they choose to. Just be aware that the violence everyone tries to portray of EMS, if bull. Learn how to talk to people and you can diffuse a lot of problems from the start and always leave and escape route on every scene!

Veneficus

Forum Chief

I have seen one person caught carrying on duty. After the charges and losing his job, he then lost his license too. So much worth it!

I have worked in some very bad areas and in 20 years, I have never had a need for a vest or a gun. I personally know 4 medics that were shot on duty. All of them were shot, because they got laxed and did not keep control of their scene. Keep your wits about you and keep situational awareness a top priority and you will be fine.

I never discourage anyone from wearing a vest if they choose to. Just be aware that the violence everyone tries to portray of EMS, if bull. Learn how to talk to people and you can diffuse a lot of problems from the start and always leave and escape route on every scene!

Ahhh, the skills of the old guys.

I am sure you noticed that there is a global modern trend of trying to replace skill with technology.

monkeymagic

Forum Ride Along
The London Ambulance Service issue lightweight ballistic vests to all frontline staff - most don't ever use or carry it (protocol states that it should be available for use at all times). Senior managers carry heavy duty ballistic vests for delivery to staff at armed incident RVPs. The only staff i know of that wear theirs permanently are the motorbike / cycle response unit staff. Personally i only wear mine if i'm operating as a solo and get a knife / gun (rare) incident that i may decide to approach without Police back up.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
My dept issues body armor to every one
that's different. if your department ISSUES you body armor, then you should wear it. If my department issued me body armor, than I would wear it on every shift anytime I set foot on the street.

but department issued armor is a lot different than purchasing your own for use at work.

as for carrying guns while on duty, I know of one paramedic who brings a gun with him. he worked per diem, and his full time job was as a cop in one of the worst cities in the state, plus he did a lot of narcotics task force stuff. He NEVER pulled it out, and never intended to unless someone recognized him as an unarmed cop off duty and wanted to make his feelings known.

While I am sure some people feel the need to carry on duty, and some do without the knowledge of management, unless you are members of law enforcement, and are carrying with the consent of agency management, then you shouldn't be carrying on an ambulance. and if people do, and they get caught, they deserved to be fired immediately.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
The London Ambulance Service issue lightweight ballistic vests to all frontline staff - most don't ever use or carry it (protocol states that it should be available for use at all times). Senior managers carry heavy duty ballistic vests for delivery to staff at armed incident RVPs. The only staff i know of that wear theirs permanently are the motorbike / cycle response unit staff. Personally i only wear mine if i'm operating as a solo and get a knife / gun (rare) incident that i may decide to approach without Police back up.

How many times are firearms used in crime in the UK per year?

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
In general, if you are not allowed to buy a firearm, you will not be allowed to buy body armor. In general.

If you wear Level II armor, you'll be protected against the majority of handgun rounds available and you'll still enjoy some flexibility. Level II armor will generally stop the same rounds that Level IIIA armor will, but you'll see greater blunt force trauma if you're shot with something that IIIA rated armor will stop... Level IIIA is considered the most protective of the concealable armor. Level III and IV will not be concealable and must be worn as an outer garment. Level III will stop some rifle rounds... and is also quite thick because of it.

Personally, I'd choose Level IIIA armor... because what I carry on a daily basis would possibly defeat Level II armor. If you're armed, do not wear armor that your own ammunition can defeat...

Armor will help keep you warm in winter, but in Summer, you'll roast.

Some armor will also be stab resistant. If you're going to wear stab armor, chances are that it's going to be fairly thick, so it'd have to be worn in an external carrier. Get a carrier that matches your uniform and it won't be so obvious that you're wearing armor... Ballistic armor is designed to stop bullets. Stab armor is designed to stop knives and ice picks moving (comparatively speaking) slowly.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

It's not illegal everywhere.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
If you're armed, do not wear armor that your own ammunition can defeat...

Who says Battleship combat is outdated?

Armored against your own main guns...

OP
OP
Ghost

Ghost

Forum Crew Member
Lol. You can't do ANYTHING in NYC without a license. I've bought one off ebay for target practice.

I can't stand the laws in NYC...

monkeymagic

Forum Ride Along
How many times are firearms used in crime in the UK per year?

I'm not sure if the stats, however in 10 years of working some of the most deprived suburbs in London i've only ever attended one shooting, which was gang related. Gun use is constantly on the increase in the capital as are teenage gang murders most of which are caused by knife wounds.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Does anyone have stats on the differences in armed assault/battery on EMS workers involving firearms compared to knives and other sharps?

OP
OP
Ghost

Ghost

Forum Crew Member
Does anyone have stats on the differences in armed assault/battery on EMS workers involving firearms compared to knives and other sharps?

It's the same, because they're all deadly weapons.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
It's the same, because they're all deadly weapons.

I'm aware of that. I'm just wondering if anyone knows if there's a breakdown of it anywhere.