BSI Violation

sop

Forum Lieutenant
I witness one of my comrades violating the BSI procedure. He had blood on both of his gloves, and he used his teeth to pull off one of them. Is this safe? How do you feel about body substance isolation? I know they teach on the subject in school, but everybody does not really like wearing latex gloves.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
If they want to risk it, it's their choice...BSI precautions aren't laws...Don't share a drink with him?

The system where I have been going to school at and doing my rides I live by BSI, I don't want TB or anything of the sort... The gloves we use are nitrile not latex. I don't enjoy wearing gloves, but it protects me and gives me something to take notes on so why not kill two birds with one stone? or two gloves haha

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Well it really is his decision if he wants to risk his health by doing that...I wouldn't make too big of a deal out of it though as long as you follow BSI precautions.

OP
OP
S

sop

Forum Lieutenant
If they want to risk it, it's their choice...BSI precautions aren't laws...Don't share a drink with him?

The system where I have been going to school at and doing my rides I live by BSI, I don't want TB or anything of the sort... The gloves we use are nitrile not latex. I don't enjoy wearing gloves, but it protects me and gives me something to take notes on so why not kill two birds with one stone? or two gloves haha

I never thought about using gloves as a notepad. Good idea.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Really? Thats the only way I ever learned.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus

It is a good idea until you forget and throw your gloves away. Or you get puke/blood/pee/whatever all over them and your notes become unreadable. Plus after you take the glove off where do you set it to copy down the info?

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
I witness one of my comrades violating the BSI procedure. He had blood on both of his gloves, and he used his teeth to pull off one of them. Is this safe? How do you feel about body substance isolation? I know they teach on the subject in school, but everybody does not really like wearing latex gloves.

I don't know why you'd do it with your teeth. It is both difficult and gross, esp with blood on the gloves.

I think we can get a little crazy about BSI in EMS.

I go out in public and shake peoples hands, handle money and kiss the odd sheila without worrying about disease.

That said though, I wear gloves going into every job, because you never know what you're going to find and we do, after all, deal with sick people every now and then. I have glasses so I don't worry about goggles too much.

Someone around this forum has a pretty good saying in their signature: "If its warm or sticky and not yours, don't touch it." As long as you stay away from unprotected sex with people who make a habit of poor BSI then I wouldn't worry too much. :p

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
I don't know why you'd do it with your teeth. It is both difficult and gross, esp with blood on the gloves.

I think we can get a little crazy about BSI in EMS.

I go out in public and shake peoples hands, handle money and kiss the odd sheila without worrying about disease.

That said though, I wear gloves going into every job, because you never know what you're going to find and we do, after all, deal with sick people every now and then. I have glasses so I don't worry about goggles too much.

Someone around this forum has a pretty good saying in their signature: "If its warm or sticky and not yours, don't touch it." As long as you stay away from unprotected sex with people who make a habit of poor BSI then I wouldn't worry too much. :p

I used to have that in my signature lol. It was what my instructor told me on my first day of basic :p

brentoli

Forum Crew Member

Negative. You'll get crap on them, puncture them with your pen, get blood on you computer when you chart. Bad vibes all around.

Put a strip or two of 2" cloth/paper tape on your thigh instead.

Last edited by a moderator:

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
What the hecks an odd sheila?

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
odd sheila = random woman

EMSslick536

Forum Ride Along
Bsi.....

Well, per some of the medic(s) in my area, some wear gloves, some don't. One of the ones that dont hasn't got a type of cold/virus from any of his PT's. My BSI (As tought in CFR) Consists of latex/powder - free black/purple gloves (color by choice). Only would I wear other BSI during a CB (Child Birth) Or a terrible blood spurt. Main point is, You wouldn't want someones dirty, unsanitary hand in your mouth as your being intubated. Why would they?

EMS/LEO505

Forum Lieutenant
The only thing I could see happening is he eventually catching something and OSHA getting the panties in a bunch lol

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Well, per some of the medic(s) in my area, some wear gloves, some don't. One of the ones that dont hasn't got a type of cold/virus from any of his PT's. My BSI (As tought in CFR) Consists of latex/powder - free black/purple gloves (color by choice). Only would I wear other BSI during a CB (Child Birth) Or a terrible blood spurt. Main point is, You wouldn't want someones dirty, unsanitary hand in your mouth as your being intubated. Why would they?

If you decide to advance farther than MFR you would probably want to consider eye protection at least when you're managing an airway.

citizensoldierny

Forum Captain
Used mouth to remove a bloody glove= I threw up a little in my mouth:wacko:

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Negative. You'll get crap on them, puncture them with your pen, get blood on you computer when you chart. Bad vibes all around.

Put a strip or two of 2" cloth/paper tape on your thigh instead.

Agreed. Writing notes on gloves is silly. It's usually difficult to get it to write, and then it just smears or your take your gloves off without thinking about it. If I have extra hands around I will appoint someone official note-taker. I have used the tape method. Usually my memory is good enough to serve me. I used paper towels at the clinic.

Last edited by a moderator:

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Anybody else have the mental image of a ref throwing a flag and coming onto a scene "party foul" style when they read the title of this thread? No? Guess it really was a long night....

The over/underuse of BSI is something I've railed against in earlier threads. Suffice to say, instead of dogma it makes a lot more sense to follow CDC guidelines/common sense.

As to note taking, remember "there is no human being whose medical characteristics cannot be listed on a three-by-five index card". I keep 5 or 10 in my back pocket at all times while on shift.

Pittma

Forum Crew Member
Yeah, this is just kind of disgusting. Have you said anything like, "Hey, that's really gross"? lol. Just the image of a mouthful of some unknown patient's blood (or anyone's) in my mouth is nasty

C.T.E.M.R.

Forum Lieutenant
This seems to happen more often than I ever though, ive seen medics do ivs w/o gloves, Yes its nasty, I wear gloves for almost every call, even if i know i will not have PT contact, plus i always know where my hepa mask is, for the times i have a Pt w/ cold or similar infection, or if i might think i have something, just to protect a PT if theirs a possibility of low immune system. Just so there aren't too many questions, i don't actually run if im sick, maybe il get the sniffles when i wake up but they usually clear up. PT safety and your own safety are key

truetiger

Forum Asst. Chief
As a student, your best bet is to keep your mouth shut. Your preceptor is a big boy/girl and decided against common sense, like someone else said, just don't drink after them.