Bought my EMT textbook, Class is go for June 15th!

trevor1189

Forum Captain
I picked up my EMT textbook the other day and the workbook that goes with it. I have had a chance to go through it. I feel pretty confident that I won't have any problems. I am pretty good with the anatomy, I remember quite a bit of anatomy and physiology from my high school class. So I should be pretty good in that aspect. I have also had college level biology and chemistry, so those should help.

Now I think the only things that I am really going to have to work on is learning to write PCRs and individual ambulance service procedures which will come after. Right now the local hospital is hiring EMTs so hopefully they will stay open and I can get a job with them once I get my EMT.

I do have a few questions though.
1. In PA NREMT is not recognized except for the Paramedic level. So I don't have to worry about getting that after my state EMT certificate, correct?

2. Another question regarding PCRs. I know we use EMStat and it asks for times that vitals/procedures, etc that were done. How do you guys keep track of that stuff while administering patient care. I think my biggest problem is going to be recording accurate times when initiating and finishing procedures. Do you guys actually record times while administering treatments and exams or is it just an estimate.

Our dispatch system sends a fax at the end of the call with dispatch, response, on scene, enroute, and arrival times on the fax. Do you just estimate the the times or actually mark them down when in the field?

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but those should get things started. :)

Edit: I am going to search for some example ambulance to hospital reports over the phone/radio but if you would like to post some example of BLS reports, it would be helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
For the NREMT, I'm quite confident you'll school will give you all the details with how/when to do something.

As for the times, you just need to approximate. No one expects "I intubated this pt at 13:37:36". Totally acceptable to say "I did this to the pt at 13:38". Again, also something that your school will be able to explain.

Good luck with the class, and take it as it comes!

OP
OP
trevor1189

trevor1189

Forum Captain
For the NREMT, I'm quite confident you'll school will give you all the details with how/when to do something.

As for the times, you just need to approximate. No one expects "I intubated this pt at 13:37:36". Totally acceptable to say "I did this to the pt at 13:38". Again, also something that your school will be able to explain.

Good luck with the class, and take it as it comes!

Ok, thanks. I know documentation of times, etc. is important if a case ever comes up for review, but I didn't know how close these times had to be.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
For vitals/procedures, I try to glance at my watch and record immediately (if possible). For response/on scene etc, I use the times on the mdt/pager. Course, both are updated multiple times....

OP
OP
trevor1189

trevor1189

Forum Captain
Ok, thanks. I am confident about my ability to treat and care for patients on a BLS level. It's just behind the scenes little things that I need to learn. Learning and mastering the way things are done on each rig are my next step.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Do you guys actually record times while administering treatments and exams or is it just an estimate.

Our dispatch system sends a fax at the end of the call with dispatch, response, on scene, enroute, and arrival times on the fax. Do you just estimate the the times or actually mark them down when in the field?

It depends. If the patient isn't critical, a lot of times I'll document as I go. Otherwise times are a close estimate. Alert/Enroute/On scene/patient contact (PCT)/etc times are always recorded immediately and recorded based on my watch since I use my watch time for any other times. Alert, en route, on scene, and patient contact times can all be recorded immediately. It takes an entire two seconds as you're walking up to the patient to record PCT. This makes it easier and more accurate to estimate since you've got a set time that you're basing your times off of. Another thing to consider is that a lot of things takes a few minutes to do. It takes a few minutes to get a full set of V/S (really, not everything is done in a panic haste), so it's not necessarily bad to be a minute or two off.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
You're in class... that's the first step =)
Over a month from now he'll be in an EMT "camp". Right now, he's just still calling himself an "EMT Student" and wearing a patch he has not even come close to earning yet. I guess faking it for a few months is what makes him so confident with his BLS care.

OP
OP
trevor1189

trevor1189

Forum Captain
Over a month from now he'll be in an EMT "camp". Right now, he's just still calling himself an "EMT Student" and wearing a patch he has not even come close to earning yet. I guess faking it for a few months is what makes him so confident with his BLS care.

I'm not even gonna start with you. Go get another thread closed. :glare:

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief

LMAO. What do you expect? Half the people here classify themselves as "EMT Students", aka Future Life Giver; of course they are also the ones with the most "Expert" opinions. :rolleyes:

trev: Just take it like a man... and laugh...

JPINFV

Gadfly
As an MS-0 (Medical Student Year 0. AKA accepted but not started) let me declare at this moment that I am God's gift to medicine and emergency medical care.

That is all.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
As an MS-0 (Medical Student Year 0. AKA accepted but not started) let me declare at this moment that I am God's gift to medicine and emergency medical care.

That is all.

ROFLMBLAO

Sorry, had to do it :p

JPINFV

Gadfly
Mark my words, in 4 years there's going to be a new MASH spin off...

JPINFV, DO.

;)