Boss Says No Tatoos or Piercings, Is Legal?

alias

Forum Ride Along
I love it when women in general find tattoos distasteful yet they wear makeup every single day :rolleyes:

OP
OP
medic417

medic417

The Truth Provider
I love it when women in general find tattoos distasteful yet they wear makeup every single day :rolleyes:

Way different and not relevant to this discussion.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
Way different and not relevant to this discussion.

Actually I don't see any difference, one is accepted form of decor the other isn't.

Im sure makeup had it's critics as well when first introduced.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Make up can be washed off and if done right looks natural... tattoos dont.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

Sasha

Forum Chief
Looks trashy but is not the same thing as having full skully sleeve.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
Make up can be washed off and if done right looks natural... tattoos dont.

Looks natural to who? You?

I see no difference, besides one is accepted one isn't.

If you would like to disqualify a whole group of employers for having tattoos, it's your right.

I don't base decisions on appearance, nor do I form opinions because I don't have the ability to see beneath the surface.

And I don't even have a tattoo.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
How may I help you today...

h11.jpg

sweetpete

Forum Lieutenant
We have a good number of guys on our FD that have tattoos. City policy states that ALL tattoos, regardless of meaning, must be covered by some sort of clothing.

It's about "professionalism". Both "actual" and "perceived". The court of public opinion has made it's ruling and tattoos are TYPICALLY considered unprofessional.

Personally, I don't have a problem with them, but I don't write policy.

dstevens58

Forum Lieutenant
Except that if you request it, a former employer can give nothing more than your dates of employment, and can say nothing good or bad, about performance. They can however, say if you are eligible for rehire.

That's what I was trying to say, but got caught up in the verbosity of it all.....I guess you can tell I used to work for the government. :rofl:

JPINFV

Gadfly
Except that if you request it, a former employer can give nothing more than your dates of employment, and can say nothing good or bad, about performance. They can however, say if you are eligible for rehire.

[source required]

Sorry, I get the feeling that it being a flat ban is an urban legend, just that companies generally don't say anything good or bad out of fear (real or perceived) of liability for misleading the prospective employer.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
[source required]

Sorry, I get the feeling that it being a flat ban is an urban legend, just that companies generally don't say anything good or bad out of fear (real or perceived) of liability for misleading the prospective employer.

I think you meant requested and not required unless you're making up rules.

That being said, to my knowledge you are correct. To my knowledge, and as a former manager, there is no legal ban, it's just what many companies choose to do for liability reasons. Liability potentially to not just the prospective employer, but to the former employee as well, if that person is unable to find work thanks in some part to negative comments made.

AlphaButch

Forum Lieutenant

Rumor

There is no federal law prohibiting or limiting an employers disclosure on a former employee. A few companies do limit what they say to curb liability risks, as this was "common business practice" for many years. Of course, they may be limited by ADA regs, HIPAA regs, etc.

Recent litigation has actually started to change this practice as some employers have been taken to court for misrepresenting or witholding information regarding a prior employee (called a negligent referral).

Further, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, and Wyoming have protection for employers discosures similiar to TX (below) in their statutes;

In Texas;

An employer may, but is not required to, disclose to a prospective employer on the request of the employee, job performance information including the manner in which an employee performed a position of employment and an analysis of the employee’s attendance, attitudes, effort, knowledge, behaviors and skills. An employer is immune from civil liability for such disclosures unless the employer knew the information to be false or the employer disclosed the information in a reckless disregard for the truth. (TX§103.001-005)

If someone chooses to deny their prospective employer from contacting their prior employers - how far do you think they'd make in a hiring process?

JPINFV

Gadfly
I think you meant requested and not required unless you're making up rules.

That being said, to my knowledge you are correct. To my knowledge, and as a former manager, there is no legal ban, it's just what many companies choose to do for liability reasons. Liability potentially to not just the prospective employer, but to the former employee as well, if that person is unable to find work thanks in some part to negative comments made.

Request, required, ultimately to-ma-to, to-mah-to as I don't think there's anything limiting what a company can say provided what is said truthful, accurate, and doesn't violate very specific, very narrow other privacy rights (e.g. EEOC claims, health records, etc).

Sasha

Forum Chief
Looks natural to who? You?

I see no difference, besides one is accepted one isn't.

If you would like to disqualify a whole group of employers for having tattoos, it's your right.

I don't base decisions on appearance, nor do I form opinions because I don't have the ability to see beneath the surface.

And I don't even have a tattoo.

Really? You dont see a difference between easily removeable make up and permanent tattoos?

Make up is widely accepted on females. Tattoos used to have a very negative connotation. Make up didnt.

And yes, the key to make up is to make it look natural, of course sometimes people ignore that and go all trashy, and around here they would be asked to remove it.

I am not judging anyone, one of my best partners had full sleeves, but i am not going to disagree that tattoos can cause some anxiety to the elderly and lend towards a less than professional appearance.