Boss Says No Tatoos or Piercings, Is Legal?

medic417

The Truth Provider

JPINFV

Gadfly
It's your right to choose what to do with your body, it's the employer's right to choose who to hire. Choices don't come free from consequences, and there is no right to employment. Similarly, it's your right to decide not to work for a company that sets appearance standards that you feel is inappropriate.

Anjel

Forum Angel
What JP said.

My employer doesn't want people with pink hair.

I still have the choice to dye my hair pink. But if I do, then I would be looking for a new job.

My employer also allows tattoos as of recently. But If I choose to get a huge gun tattooed on my neck. Then again my choice I can do that if I want to, but I wont be working there.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
All of the private companies I've worked for, as well as the county I currently volunteer for, say that hair must be a natural color. Not necessarily the person's own natural hair color, it just has to be a color that does occur in nature. So those with black hair can be blondes, but nobody can have blue or pink hair.

I'm not sure what the policies are on tattoos.

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
It's your right to choose what to do with your body, it's the employer's right to choose who to hire. Choices don't come free from consequences, and there is no right to employment. Similarly, it's your right to decide not to work for a company that sets appearance standards that you feel is inappropriate.

Its not as simple as this. An employer can't have a policy stating it will not hire any African-American people. Discrimination. It's a matter of whether disallowing the ink and piercings counts as some form of discrimination.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
Its not as simple as this. An employer can't have a policy stating it will not hire any African-American people. Discrimination. It's a matter of whether disallowing the ink and piercings counts as some form of discrimination.

My company doesn't mind tattoos, at least officially, unofficially they most likely wont hire someone who has tattoos on their face or hands, or other places that can't be covered by a long sleeve, I think it just falls under the realm of professional appearance. Not as much discrimination.

JPINFV

Gadfly

You would have to establish that the purpose of banning tattoos is solely as a method of discrimination, which I'm going to bet is hard to actually do.

Anjel

Forum Angel
You dont choose your ethnicity.

You your tattoos

Flightorbust

Forum Lieutenant
I have ink and I can understand the no tattoos under the premise that it looks unprofessional. Now if it can be covered with a long sleeve shirt and you can deal with that style shirt in the summer I dont see an issue. But thats just me. The great thing about bieng a boss tho is that you can set the rule you wish (within reason). I do believe that the rules regarding tattoos will become more lax as the older population dies off. I know elder people that still think of tattoos as something :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:s, sailors and criminals get.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
I have ink and I can understand the no tattoos under the premise that it looks unprofessional. Now if it can be covered with a long sleeve shirt and you can deal with that style shirt in the summer I dont see an issue. But thats just me. The great thing about bieng a boss tho is that you can set the rule you wish (within reason). I do believe that the rules regarding tattoos will become more lax as the older population dies off. I know elder people that still think of tattoos as something :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:s, sailors and criminals get.

i wouldnt be so sure about the older generation dying off changing things. Im 23 and i feel the same way, and i know im not the only one of my frinds who feels this way

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
You would have to establish that the purpose of banning tattoos is solely as a method of discrimination, which I'm going to bet is hard to actually do.

You dont choose your ethnicity.

You your tattoos

I'm not saying that not hiring people with tattoos or piercings is the same as not hiring because of race, I was simply refuting the statement that "it's the employer's right to choose who to hire".

To play the devil's advocate, what about Polynesian people who often have tribal tattoos and the like as part of their culture? I agree in general that employers can have such policies on personal appearances, but in changing times this will become more of a grey area as society becomes more multi-cultural.

Flightorbust

Forum Lieutenant
I dont think it will compleatly change. Just become more relaxed and accepted. We are already seeing that happen now. There will always be two sides to everything. In this case thoes that hate them and thoes that love em. I do believe that like most thing there will be an explosion of tattoos (what we are seeing now) and then it will mellow down some. But I think overall the stereotypes will become less over time.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
i wouldnt be so sure about the older generation dying off changing things. Im 23 and i feel the same way, and i know im not the only one of my frinds who feels this way

Then your a closed-minded person.

It's a form of self expression. I have a leg sleeve and ink on my back, I'm sitting top of my class in medic school and have been a contributing member to society, work full time alongside school, I'm not an alcoholic and I don't do drugs.

But from what your saying since I have ink I'm some sort of vagrant.

Open your eyes dude, seriously.

Last edited by a moderator:

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
Well so it's your right to do what you want with your body based on many on here's claims. But is it? What if your boss say's no? Does the threat to your income change how you think?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...t-tattoos-earrings?module=HP11_headline_stack

The owner has the right to do what he so chooses in accordance with the CBA including cutting him however he is still on the hook for the guaranteed portion of his salary.

And just about every player in the NFL has tatoos, so Im sure he isnt going to want to set that precedent.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
We should probably get a lawyer (EMSLaw?) or find legal articles written on this. Some tattoos are for spiritual/religious purposes. As are piercings. I recall a case not too long ago for a girl was kicked out of school for having too many piercings, but her and her mother are members of a legal church that is all about piercings. They filed suit against the school. I'll have to check about whatever happened with it.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
OK, here we go. Yes, body modification for spiritual/religious reasons is a protected act that cannot be subject to regulations:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...a-Iacono-wins-right-wear-nose-stud-class.html

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) filed a lawsuit against the school system on her behalf and a federal judge issued a temporary restraining order in October demanding that the school lifted her suspension and allowed her to wear the jewellery.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...right-wear-nose-stud-class.html#ixzz1W5uNlBUm

If it's not done for spiritual/religious reasons then you don't have a valid claim, however.

OP
OP
medic417

medic417

The Truth Provider
People don't get your panties in a wad. People have the right to hate tatoos as much as you love them. The thing thats funny is those that hate them will really enjoy them when those with tats are old and the tats no longer resemble whatever they were when you got them. I can see the new game at the old folks center guess that tat. :rofl:

JPINFV

Gadfly
To play the devil's advocate, what about Polynesian people who often have tribal tattoos and the like as part of their culture? I agree in general that employers can have such policies on personal appearances, but in changing times this will become more of a grey area as society becomes more multi-cultural.

Multiculturalism isn't a blank check. If someone from one of those African tribes that wears a lip plate would be protected from appearance standards.

ArcticKat

Forum Captain
All of the private companies I've worked for, as well as the county I currently volunteer for, say that hair must be a natural color. Not necessarily the person's own natural hair color, it just has to be a color that does occur in nature. So those with black hair can be blondes, but nobody can have blue or pink hair.

I'm not sure what the policies are on tattoos.

Wonder what they'd do with a 20 year old who dyed his hair Grey. :0

JPINFV

Gadfly