BLS with Advanced Skills

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Agreed. Simple and easy. I was referring to the fact that in most places, epi autoinjectors are not even considered BLS and carried.

How you get the epi in isn't that important, it just needs to get in asap. Autoinjectors actually improve pt safety in some cases even with ALS providers.

I would leave it open for each service to choose whether to carry an autoinjector or amps and syringes, as some agencies would be willing to do the training for IM injection (which isn't rocket science).

What I'd like to see is a prefilled syringe similar to the diluent in a glucagon kit that contains 0.3 mg of epi. Giving the IM shot is easy, where people will screw up manual epi is on the math or drawing up a dose.

It would also be much cheaper.
They make 0.3ml syringes. NM basics can draw and give it as long as it's a dose limiting syringe.

cprted

Forum Captain
And there comes a time when we have to decide that if we want to improve the level of care, we need to upgrade the resources (EMR to PCP, PCP to ACP, etc) instead of cramming more stuff into a course that is already too short.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
And there comes a time when we have to decide that if we want to improve the level of care, we need to upgrade the resources (EMR to PCP, PCP to ACP, etc) instead of cramming more stuff into a course that is already too short.
For american EMS that time is long past.. our ems system is pitiful

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
For american EMS that time is long past.. our ems system is pitiful

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
For the american EMS system that time is long past. Our EMS system is pitiful

John E

Forum Captain
True, but most of the meds i mentioned are very basic medications that have a very good benefit/risk ratio. Many of the stated contras/adverse effects are rare and if they do occur, manageable.

Besides, using EMR level epi as an example, the alternative is anaphylaxis and quite possibly death. The risks of epi are far outweighed by the need to reverse the distributive shock state.

These interventions ARE BLS, and can be taught safely and effectively. If the course is 15 days, then teaching BLS ABC's management, wound care, pt assessment, EVIDENCE BASED oxygen and SpO2, basic meds and symptom relief w/ BGL and evidence based spine care pretty much encompasses everything that WILL make a difference in the immediate prehospital care of the pt.

How many people per year are dying from anaphylaxis in Canada?

OP
OP
MedicDelta

MedicDelta

Forum Crew Member
Just to clarify for everyone in case you weren't aware, EMRs can ASSIST patients with their own Epi-Pen auto injector in BC. In Alberta EMRs can CARRY Epi-Pens in their jump bag and administer it.

Av8or007

Forum Lieutenant
In Alberta EMRs can CARRY Epi-Pens in their jump bag and administer it.

This is what should be happening in every system, and was the point of my post.
They are a basic lifesaving intervention that do far more good with less risk of harm than some other interventions that are "BLS"

OP
OP
MedicDelta

MedicDelta

Forum Crew Member
This is what should be happening in every system, and was the point of my post.
They are a basic lifesaving intervention that do far more good with less risk of harm than some other interventions that are "BLS"
I would have to agree.