BLS Supplies for ground pounders

OP
OP
adamjh3

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Alright, had my first two shifts this weekend and got a lot of the questions posed in this thread answered.

We provide our own oxygen. Cylinder and all. These can be purchased through the company or on your own. Does anyone know where I can get a set-up for cheaper than $300, as the company sells a cylinder, regulator, bag and all the supplies that go in it (NCs, airway adjuncts etc.) for that price?

As far as resupply, the contractor is responsible for the start up cost but any materials you use will be replaced by the company (including oxygen, you get your tank filled up and they will reimburse the cost to you).

Spinal precautions: Had a kid that needed to be c-spined at a football game yesterday (severe midline pain in neck and thorax, tingling in lower extremities, ALOC.) The game halted we initiate restrictions and activate 911, the medics showed up and finished it off with an LSB. It looks like we do mostly youth sporting events thus we will mostly be in populated areas where response times will generally be <10 minutes. By the time we finish everything we need to do We'll generally have medics rolling up and parking their rig right on the field. No big deal to halt the game for that short a time from what I saw. I can, however, foresee issues if there is a suspected spinal injury outside of the playing field, but I'll generally be by myself until medics show up and I'm not going to have a bunch of untrained hands on my patient to get them on a backboard and moved.

It looks like Mycrofft was right with the "you will do best by yourself to make and modify your own kit. It's an extension of yourself." I have a really good idea how I'm going to set up after just two shifts, I'm sure I'll have everything smoothed out in no time.

Anjel

Forum Angel

JPINFV

Gadfly
Adam, do you also work for an ambulance company? Have you tried talking to them to see if you can buy or order through them and get their agency discount instead of paying retail?

OP
OP
adamjh3

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Adam, do you also work for an ambulance company? Have you tried talking to them to see if you can buy or order through them and get their agency discount instead of paying retail?

I do and I have not. I doubt they'd go for it knowing how messed up the company is. They'd probably end up trying to fire me for "conflicting interests" :rolleyes: