BLS Protocols... HELP PLEASE!!

Medic320

Forum Ride Along
I'm looking for decent resources for setting up (EMT-basic) BLS protocols for a small community hospital that provides pre-hospital/ambulance care, level EMT-B.

I'd like the protocols that I'm setting up to be very similar to the US standards and offcourse to be matching the recently updated protocols.

So, anyidea, link, recommindation??

Please share any decent state protocols or recources that help to set up protocols.

Medic320

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Where is this going to be at? The location is going to determine to a large degree what you can and cannot do as a BLS service.

The "US standards" are pretty variable depending upon how progressive the local medical director is and how far up their *** the state EMS commission has the stick lodged.

The best advice I can give without knowing more is to suggest you take whatever Maryland is doing and update it about 25 years or just flat out do the opposite.

Last edited by a moderator:

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm looking for decent resources for setting up (EMT-basic) BLS protocols for a small community hospital that provides pre-hospital/ambulance care, level EMT-B.

I'd like the protocols that I'm setting up to be very similar to the US standards and offcourse to be matching the recently updated protocols.

So, anyidea, link, recommindation??

Please share any decent state protocols or recources that help to set up protocols.

Medic320

Have you consulted with the facility medical director?

OP
OP
M

Medic320

Forum Ride Along
Where is this going to be at? The location is going to determine to a large degree what you can and cannot do as a BLS service.

The "US standards" are pretty variable depending upon how progressive the local medical director is and how far up their *** the state EMS commission has the stick lodged.

The best advice I can give without knowing more is to suggest you take whatever Maryland is doing and update it about 25 years or just flat out do the opposite.

As I have mentioned, these protocols will be for a private community hospital that has an ER. It's in a small town in Italy. Most of the staff we're going to have are from the US, That's why I'm looking for protocols similar to the US's.

If anyone can recommend any good refrences/state protocols to be used as a resource to setting up our protocols, that would be great.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Are they going to be operating under US certs? If not, don't the protocols need to be written to their level of certification in Italy?

OP
OP
M

Medic320

Forum Ride Along
Are they going to be operating under US certs? If not, don't the protocols need to be written to their level of certification in Italy?

The staff is US certified.

Please don't worry about their level or anything else.:wacko:

All I need is a good refrence/guidelines that anyone can recommend to be used as a resource...

Medic320

Aidey

The staff is US certified.

Please don't worry about their level or anything else.:wacko:

All I need is a good refrence/guidelines that anyone can recommend to be used as a resource...

Medic320

Sorry, but what you are asking is really rather unusual. I've worked in a foreign country as a Paramedic and I had a physician sponsor and protocols through the state I was certified in. If the staff is US certified use the protocols from the state they are from, if they aren't all from the same state, use the National Registry guidelines to base the protocols on. Every state is different, and within each state each county may be different.

Really, your best bet is to go off the NR standards. That way you are basing your protocols on what the NR thinks an EMT should do, not what some random county in some random state does.

medic417

The Truth Provider
OP
OP
M

Medic320

Forum Ride Along
Thanks all for the links and suggestions... I need to take a look on what you shared and then go from there to see what will be next.

OP
OP
M

Medic320

Forum Ride Along
Sorry, but what you are asking is really rather unusual. I've worked in a foreign country as a Paramedic and I had a physician sponsor and protocols through the state I was certified in. If the staff is US certified use the protocols from the state they are from, if they aren't all from the same state, use the National Registry guidelines to base the protocols on. Every state is different, and within each state each county may be different.

Really, your best bet is to go off the NR standards. That way you are basing your protocols on what the NR thinks an EMT should do, not what some random county in some random state does.

How can i get the NR BLS protocols? this idea sounds good!

Aidey

www.nremt.org

They don't have protocols, they are a certification agency. However, if you look at what their requirements are for an EMT Bs education that should give you a good starting point for your protocols.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
Seeing as few of us are familiar with the way that EMS systems operate in Italy, I might recommend that you start with the protocols of any nearby systems (if they have written protocols) and then with your medical director (or an emergency physician if you have no director), look at adapting the local protocols to fit the training of your medics and needs of the community.

Someone here posted my counties (wake county) protocols, and although I think they are a great example of a US EMS system, they have to be taken in context. We have equipment that you may not have, and very high continuing education requirements that allow the paramedics here to operate as independently as they do. Giving these protocols to the medics and yelling "have fun!" isn't going to do your medics or patients any favors.

What you might consider doing is finding a set of US protocols for a similar setup (EMS running out of a community hospital), and then start with a core set of protocols that ALL of your medics are comfortable with, at which point you can take a look at your system and see where the holes are in the protocols, and plug them.

Starting an EMS service is not something that can be taken lightly or done quickly. Take your time, work through it slow, and respond when you see where changes need to be made.

OP
OP
M

Medic320

Forum Ride Along
Seeing as few of us are familiar with the way that EMS systems operate in Italy, I might recommend that you start with the protocols of any nearby systems (if they have written protocols) and then with your medical director (or an emergency physician if you have no director), look at adapting the local protocols to fit the training of your medics and needs of the community.

Someone here posted my counties (wake county) protocols, and although I think they are a great example of a US EMS system, they have to be taken in context. We have equipment that you may not have, and very high continuing education requirements that allow the paramedics here to operate as independently as they do. Giving these protocols to the medics and yelling "have fun!" isn't going to do your medics or patients any favors.

What you might consider doing is finding a set of US protocols for a similar setup (EMS running out of a community hospital), and then start with a core set of protocols that ALL of your medics are comfortable with, at which point you can take a look at your system and see where the holes are in the protocols, and plug them.

Starting an EMS service is not something that can be taken lightly or done quickly. Take your time, work through it slow, and respond when you see where changes need to be made.

Agree!!

Wake protocols are very informative and I think it would be smart to use them as a resource.

Again, the staff will be from the US and nationally registered... most of the euipment we have/ambulance setting and measures are very similar to the US..

I know it's nor gonna be an easy task.. That's why i'm here to get some ligit feedback from experienced professionals like you...

If anyone can still help and indicate for any protocols that can be as good as Wake's, I'd appreciate sharing them..

Medic320

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
I know it's nor gonna be an easy task.. That's why i'm here to get some ligit feedback from experienced professionals like you...

Hah, i'm totally not experienced, I just sound good on paper because I think things through before I write them down.