BLS Precepting for Volunteers

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
SkyEMT raised a good point about training in this post from the Volunteer Voice thread. What does YOUR service do for precepting new BLS volunteers? Are they required to run a certain number of calls as a "third person"? Do they need to be monitored, acting as a crew chief, by an EXPERIENCED EMT for some number of calls? How many? How long (days, weeks, months) does it take for the program to be completed?

What does your station do to prevent someone who has no business treating patients from being on YOUR ambulance?

Do you do anything? Do you say that because the State (or NR) gave them a card because they have a pulse and got 70% on the test that they can now go treat actual patients?

NJN

The Young One
New non-EMTs are monitored and can only act to their cert. (usually FA/CPR) EMTs ride third until it is determined by the officers that they know protocol and squad policies, i think minimum time is a month as third man. "Wet Sticker" (just got their cards) EMTs must ride third until they show that they can act as a 2nd , by knowing protocol and policies as well as practically use their training, basically long enough that they wont freeze up on a call and will run the call as smoothly as possible. Minimum time is i think a month and a half or so. Squad members who earn their certs and become Wet Stickers, may not have ride third as long due to them already knowing policies. All thirds are observed by an experienced EMT, usually an officer, until we set them free. Months are meant by assuming they are riding a minimum of 4 hours a week during that time. All of the above are probie periods which extend for the first 3 months after joining or becoming EMT certed. At which they can be required to go back to being third or terminated from the squad at any time.

mdtaylor

Forum Crew Member
Ours requires a minimum of 6, 12 hour shifts, one as observer and 5 as third but hands on, to include at least 12 transports, one of which is a non-stable patient, and a sign off by a FTO (Field Training Officer.)

Non medical drivers is basically the same. 6 shifts, 1 observing 5 driving, 12 emergency responses with at least one hot to the hospital, and sign off by a Driver Training officer.

Last edited by a moderator:

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
At my most recent volunteer department-- with a "wet card" I was at the station for probably 20 8-hour shifts, although that only led to about five calls, for which I fully participated. THere was no set number of required hours, so I just hung around until they told me otherwise.
At my new job (paid transport and secondary 911 coverage), I had to ride third for forty hours (which guaranteed me at least one non emergent transfer, one dialysis, one emergency medical, and one emergency trauma).

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Our volunteers can ride third whenever they want. They must do driver preceptor shifts to act in the driving capacity and complete several FTO shifts to act as a Basic In-charge (able to take BLS calls on their own). Most have a yearning to excel so the learning curve is high. Many eventually hire on full time except for a few "old school" volunteers. Since a volunteer BLS provider is never in charge on any of our units, the formality of training a lead is not necessary.................................

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
In our agency you ride along and if it's a BLS call you take it, BUT there has to be either a preceptor (ALS or BLS) in the back with you or another EMT that the officers have deemed experienced enough for you to ride with, and you basically take the call by yourself and if you miss something or forget to do something then the other EMT with you will jump in then get right back out and let you take it, then you write the PCR, we don't have a set number of calls or hours or whatever, we just do it until we are comfortable, then you have to do it with each of the officers and then they talk and if they believe you are confident in your abilities then you will be "online" and able to take patients on your own.

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
MFR's (medical first responders) can come out with us and practice their scope. We are there to help them practice and improve their skill set. They get to refresh their memory on where stuff is in the truck and see what happens to the patients after we leave the scene. For most it is a good experience for them and we appreciate a third on the truck.

Myself I value the assistance they can give on scene. I feel they are more than just stretcher fetchers. I seldom cancel them outright before they arrive. I will often just ask 2 or 3 to stay if thats all thats needed. It cuts down on extra people trucking thru patients homes and the rest can go back to what they were doing.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
We have an informal process, where new EMTs are sort of mentored until they get their feet under them. We try to get them associated with someone other than the buddy who got them to volunteer, and have that person watch, guide and review their work.