BLS. Do you prefer AHA or Red Cross?

Zapanta

Forum Ride Along
BLS. Do you prefer AHA or Red Cross?

Last edited:

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
neither. AHA is sitting and watching videos.
Red X doesn’t teach around here.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
AHA as more agencies/states/counties accept their certs.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Whichever one I'm required to have for my job (which so far have all been AHA)

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Whichever is cheaper (particularly whichever is free).

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Neither... both are simple money making operations.

Create your own in house course (using the AHA data), and have your medical director sign off on it. Saves your agency a ton of $$$, and it's just as good as AHA or ARC. Most important thing will likely be keeping accurate records that the training was completed

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
NREMT takes both.
FT job used to teach AHA, and switched to Red Cross, and both states that I am certified in and NREMT doesn't care that my certifications switched.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

Create your own in house course (using the AHA data), and have your medical director sign off on it. Saves your agency a ton of $$$, and it's just as good as AHA or ARC. Most important thing will likely be keeping accurate records that the training was completed
While I dislike the AHA greatly as a student and even more as an instructor, Colorado requires state EMS office approval of the program issuing BLS and ACLS cards.

Last edited:

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Almost every job I have ever been on, including both Paramedic and Nursing, they have clearly stated certs MUST be AHA.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Almost every job I have ever been on, including both Paramedic and Nursing, they have clearly stated certs MUST be AHA.
Interesting - I wonder if that is regional. I have seen AHA & Red Cross as both acceptable, and sometimes ASHI and DoD as well.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief

Doesn’t work if State EMSA doesn’t recognize it. Is that how you got your online ACLS?

FiremanMike

Just a dude

I used to feel this way, but the fact is the AHA drives significant research and develop the best practices for cardiac arrest, CAD, stroke, pediatric ALS, etc.. That **** isn’t free to research and develop.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Doesn’t work if State EMSA doesn’t recognize it. Is that how you got your online ACLS?
my county, state and NREMT doesn't require any merit badge classes from AHA to maintain either EMT or Paramedic certification. an in-house "certification" is acceptable, at least based on my last renewal, provided NREMT accepts it.

If your state requires you to pay money to various companies to maintain your certification, do what your state EMSA requires.

Summit

Critical Crazy