Big Ambulance!

medic417

The Truth Provider
Must be compensating for lack of actual EMS. What a waste of tax payer money.

sdemtb

Forum Crew Member
Does it do anything special? Like Medic417 said, looks like a waste of money.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Must be compensating for lack of actual EMS. What a waste of tax payer money.

What an assumption you make! And you know what happens when you assume, right?

I have seen rescues that HAVE to be big due to what they carry or what they do. Mobile ICUs, mobile NICU, critical care truck, bariatric trucks.

sdemtb

Forum Crew Member
I have seen rescues that HAVE to be big due to what they carry or what they do. Mobile ICUs, mobile NICU, critical care truck, bariatric trucks.

See, thats the only reason I could see for having such a large vehicle especially if you're out somewhere where you would need to stabilize a pt. before a long transport.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Does it do anything special? Like Medic417 said, looks like a waste of money.

Yes, that what is special about it.

OP
OP
lightsandsirens5

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief

I dunno what it does.

I do know that my football coach used to say that if you assume something, it makes an *** out of you and me.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm not familiar with Mt. Horeb specifically but I would assume that rig carries extrication equipment and other firefighting gear that I'm not familiar with in addition to it's function as an ambulance. I looked at the web site and they only provide BLS ambulance service so if that thing only functions as a BLS rig there must be a lot of empty space inside.

Also note that Mr. Horeb is an exceptionally well off suburb of Madison, WI. Several volunteer departments in that area have nicer equipment than most full time stations due to the financial status of the town they serve. Residents in those areas almost expect those things and would be apalled if you showed up in an old squeaky wheeled coach.

If you want to see another incredible area here's a youtube video of a brand new station built in Middleton, WI which is again a fairly wealthy suburb of Madison. They sent out application packets to every certified paramedic in the state and are only hiring 6 but I'm assuming they've had a great response. The fire chief worked for chicago fire years ago so everything they have is modeled exactly after what chicago has. They don't have that big of an ambulance but their station is unbelievable. Also on an unrelated note they are one of 4 fire stations in WI that still has a pole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAeJuv0SjuE

OP
OP
lightsandsirens5

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Also note that Mr. Horeb is an exceptionally well off suburb of Madison, WI. Several volunteer departments in that area have nicer equipment than most full time stations due to the financial status of the town they serve. Residents in those areas almost expect those things and would be apalled if you showed up in an old squeaky wheeled coach.

I could tell they were well off when I looked at there squad! It has 4 mech sirens on it! Overkill???

medic417

The Truth Provider

I actually I read their site it is none of the above. Again they are compensating for lack of real EMS. And I stand by my statement that it is a waste of a lot of money.

My ambulances are MICU and are either type I or III's. No need for a monster truck to do EMS. Their unit is not even specially designed for mass cassualtys. Its basically a standard patient compartment on a big truck. Guess it makes them feel like they are real Medics.

emtfarva

Forum Captain
I actually I read their site it is none of the above. Again they are compensating for lack of real EMS. And I stand by my statement that it is a waste of a lot of money.

My ambulances are MICU and are either type I or III's. No need for a monster truck to do EMS. Their unit is not even specially designed for mass cassualtys. Its basically a standard patient compartment on a big truck. Guess it makes them feel like they are real Medics.

they probaly staff it with 4-6 persons. don't have to send out a engine with them.

medic417

The Truth Provider
they probaly staff it with 4-6 persons. don't have to send out a engine with them.

LOL. They probably only use it for parades.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
LOL. They probably only use it for parades.

Are you kidding, if we could afford one like that we would have people sleeping in it so they could ride on it if a call did come out. I'm sure that rig is the first one out of the house when the tones drop.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Are you kidding, if we could afford one like that we would have people sleeping in it so they could ride on it if a call did come out. I'm sure that rig is the first one out of the house when the tones drop.

Nope I bet the leader of the Vollies saves it for his special parade ride.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Just because someone happens to be a fire fighter as well doesn't mean they are not really EMTs or Medics and it doesn't make them bad ones.

A majority of Florida is EMS based fire service. Does that mean we have very little real EMS? Even though we are able to provide 100% ALS 911 response and we have some very progressive protocols?

I'm being precepted by fire medics, and they are by far better medics than the 911 medics at my old service.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
There used to be a fire department that used fire engines to transport patients. They had a lift to place them in the cab and were licensed to transport. I believe they did that before private EMS was in town and started to transport for them (when all the aid cars are being used). My guess just by looking at the photos that I saw would be that it is a rescue rig that probably carries a lot of EMS supplies and rescue supplies. Heck my local department has a medical supply unit that I doubt has ever been used except in training (if that).

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Doesn't everyone have a few trucks like that?

Or, is it just those of us in Fire-EMS states?

Burbank City Fire, Culver City Fire, and Beverly Hills City Fire (all inside LA County and are themselves cities that are islands surrounded by the City of LA) all have trucks like the OP, but they are lacking everywhere else.

What a waste

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
OMG I would be afraid to drive that thing! Too dang big!!

tydek07

Forum Captain
Holy crap-o-la!

Thats all I have to say :)