Best online EMS clothing?

74restore

Forum Crew Member
Hey all,

I am looking at eventually buying EMS pants and boots, etc along with some other gear.

What is the best website for clothing? Best for equipment? (like shears, etc)

I was recommend 5.11 tactical but just getting some second opinions.
I want something fairly cheap, yet still somewhat good quality.

Thanks!

WhiskeySix5

Forum Crew Member
Hey all,

I want something fairly cheap, yet still somewhat good quality.

Thanks!

I think you will find these two desires do not go hand in hand.

Tip #1 - Don't skimp out on your boots. You will only have sore feet, and eventually break down and buy a better pair, thus costing you even more than buying the right ones the first time around. Uncomfortable sweaty feet are no fun.

Tip #2 - Don't buy cheap pants. They fade quickly, and worse yet... will rip at the most inopportune time. Nothing like patching your pants with 2" tape in the back of the box.

W

Last edited by a moderator:

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
511tactical.com

they're great, hands down (event though they're more designed for Police gear)

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
If you are not required to buy a uniform, consider stuff like Duluth Trading.

Especially if you are doing SAR or extrication work, work clothes may be a little rougher, but they will not be torn as easily, have lots of pockets (that work, as opposed to some ****ies work pants pockets that are too tight, or narrow versus deep, to work). Also, ANSI vests with pockets are available through workplace or safety companies. Finally, anything that says "medical" anywhere on it will cost more, if it is of a similar (or worse) quality.

bw2529

Forum Crew Member
I'm a huge fan of 5.11's pants, and I also have their company boots, which are great for the price (I paid around $60 for mine). I bought my shirts from Galls, and have been happy with those as well.

responder44

Forum Ride Along
I've received great service from thefirestore.com, especially like the Elbeco shirts. Their embroidery work is excellent.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Do you all have to buy your own pants and shirts or something? Not issued? That sucks, I'm sorry.

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
Im in the market for some new gear since i had some of my stuff stolen. Looking for a quality belt holster/pouch that can hold some shears, pen light, knife, flashlight, and maybe even a small pad of paper if possible.

I browsed thefirestore.com and lapolicegear.com and found a couple of things, but im looking for some suggestions if possible.

What do you guys use to hold all of your tools?

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
An Ambulance. Then an EMT. For the things I need right away: I use one Hawke EMS Packs of those, in whatever size needed to carry what I need, however unfashionable those things are.

I actually met the guy about 15 years ago at his shop. He makes his packs with the end user (and their input) in mind. That's one reason why there are several different styles of packs.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle

Well, if I happen to be wearing EMT pants, I use the pockets for my shears and penlight.

If I'm wearing regular pants without the extra pockets, I use the Conterra Trauma Pro. The major company hereabouts issues them, and I quite like it as a place for the few odds and ends I deign to carry on my person.

d0nk3yk0n9

Forum Crew Member
Do you put your radio in the Trauma Pro, and if so, does it do a good job of holding the radio without accidentally keying it up? I'm thinking about getting one primarily as a radio holster, but some of our radios have rather sensitive push-to-talk buttons and I worry about it keying up inadvertently.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
Do you put your radio in the Trauma Pro, and if so, does it do a good job of holding the radio without accidentally keying it up? I'm thinking about getting one primarily as a radio holster, but some of our radios have rather sensitive push-to-talk buttons and I worry about it keying up inadvertently.

I've never had a problem with it keying the radio up, unless I accidentally hit the button while putting the radio in the case. It fits the XTS 1500's that we carry on our rigs just fine, as well as the MTS2000's. Now that I'm an officer and have a flashy XTS 5000, it's a bit snug with the standard battery, but still fits. The slim battery fits just fine.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
a couple things for clarification:

first off, your employer should be the one providing your uniforms. they will typically either issue you a uniform, or give you a list of approved uniform specs.

as for personal preferences, i like 5.11 tactical polo shirts. I also like spiewak EMS pants, because they hold up well, and the cargo pockets have zippers on the tops so stuff doesn't fall out in case I am not upright.

for radio holsters, I prefer a swivel holster with ears, made by motorola for my specific radio. I have two receptacles, one that I have on my uniforms belt, and one of my duty belt, so I can securely attach it to my belt, while letting it rotate if I'm sitting or moving. I have it with ear so I can connect a radio strap and portable mike if I feel so inclined, and have it hang freely.

I don't like the Conterra Trauma Pro, because it is open, and stuff can fall out. I prefer a more secure carrying device for my stuff, but that's my personal preference

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
Well, if I happen to be wearing EMT pants, I use the pockets for my shears and penlight.

If I'm wearing regular pants without the extra pockets, I use the Conterra Trauma Pro. The major company hereabouts issues them, and I quite like it as a place for the few odds and ends I deign to carry on my person.

That is exactly what i was looking for!

Unfortunately i already placed an order for this crappy thing (minus the tools):

http://www.galls.com/style-EM227-general_catalog-magnum-medical-colored-holster-set

Im going to see if i can cancel my order, i definitely want the Conterra.